Blame Bevell

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is Kris Richard's first year in the chair.

It seems like it must be at least Bevell's 10th.

How many possessions did we have in the 4th quarter and what did we do with them?

What about how many stops we made in the 4th? When the Panthers came back and scored that TD, a SB team answers with a TD. The moment we failed to do so, Bevell's failure, it was clear we were not going to win.

That was the defining moment that determined the outcome of this game.

When you look at the #s you will see an average defense being saddled with the worst offense in the league in terms of scoring TDs. We are only scoring 1.4 TDs per game, one of the worst conversion %, worst RZ %, and lowest amount of RZ scores in the game.

Any wonder our defense cannot hold leads in the 4th quarter? Because the team stops playing halfway through the 3rd and just expects the defense to prop things up - a defense that is no longer great, just average.

When you are an average defense but your offense is not even average - is it a wonder you don't win?

Kris has an excuse, he is learning. Bevell's excuse appears to be he is an idiot.

marko358

Reaction score
At this point, we have to be by far the worst team in the NFL on both sides of the ball in the 4th quarter. Offense a 3 and out machine, Defense giving up astronomical yards and points. I would be shocked if there is a team with lousier 4th quarter stats on either side of the ball. Seems like our special teams have been below average on returns and kick coverage as well.

marko358

Reaction score
Also would have been nice to take advantage of having two good backs and mixed it up a bit with Lynch and Rawls, maybe even have a few plays with both in the backfield.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I remember before the season began I was wondering how opposing DCs would contain both Jimmy and Chris Mathews on the edges and still stop the threat of beast mode or Russell on the RO in the red zone.

Turns out that our own Oline stops the RO and our own staff contains Jimmy and Mathews by leaving them on the sidlines to watch Kearse and Lockette not get open.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1pcgr4l5 said:
I remember before the season began I was wondering how opposing DCs would contain both Jimmy and Chris Mathews on the edges and still stop the threat of beast mode or Russell on the RO in the red zone.

Turns out that our own Oline stops the RO and our own staff contains Jimmy and Mathews by leaving them on the sidlines to watch Kearse and Lockette not get open.
Psstttt .... Lockette scored a touchdown. Jimmy had 140 receiving yards. Just helping you out.

evergreen

Reaction score
Our losses are to teams with a 19-3 record.....

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ffe1kt7 said:
brimsalabim":2ffe1kt7 said:

Psstttt .... Lockette scored a touchdown. Jimmy had 140 receiving yards. Just helping you out.

Good for them but did the Seahawks win? How many red zone opportunities did the Seahawks have? Of those how many ended up in touchdowns? Bevell's red zone offense is inept.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2e2q2e22 said:
Siouxhawk":2e2q2e22 said:
brimsalabim":2e2q2e22 said:

Good for them but did the Seahawks win? How many red zone opportunities did the Seahawks have? Of those how many ended up in touchdowns? Bevell's red zone offense is inept.
You chose to blame the coach, whereas I think the right plays have been layed out, they just need to be executed by the line and by Russ pulling the trigger. It's just how you look at it.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
You chose to blame the coach, whereas I think the right plays have been layed out, they just need to be executed by the line and by Russ pulling the trigger. It's just how you look at it.

So if the o-line is garbage and russ is running for his life, wouldn't you want an OC to adjust his playcalling to the strengths of the team? We can't run a traditional screen, we run empty backfield on 3rd and short, we run bubble screens that net under 5 yards 90% of the time. We run when we should pass and pass when we should run. When we are supposed to run the clock to end the game, we call plays that stop the clock. I am happy you think all the right plays are called, but they are not.

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":10wotgfi said:
hawkfan68":10wotgfi said:
Siouxhawk":10wotgfi said:
brimsalabim":10wotgfi said:

What strains bro, I have to know.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
storm74":2c4noats said:

So if the o-line is garbage and russ is running for his life, wouldn't you want an OC to adjust his playcalling to the strengths of the team? We can't run a traditional screen, we run empty backfield on 3rd and short, we run bubble screens that net under 5 yards 90% of the time. We run when we should pass and pass when we should run. When we are supposed to run the clock to end the game, we call plays that stop the clock. I am happy you think all the right plays are called, but they are not.
I know I can count at least 2 first downs where Russell was on the move and was able to complete a pass to keep the chains moving. And I'm pretty sure we were quite successful in the empty backfield sets, which by the way, isn't an anomoly in the NFL. Every team runs them.
Pete answered the question about the pass play you are questioning that stopped the clock. If you remember, it came after a holding penalty, so we were just trying to get back those yards to put is in a manageable position for a first down, which would have basically ended the game. Russ sailed it over the head of, Kearse I think. Then we run two plays to make them burn two timeouts. But here we are, the Seattle Seahawks, and we can't stop a team from traveling 80 yards in 2 minutes and change for the winning touchdown? This is not us. In the recent past, we would have clamped down and protected that lead.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Largent80":39g75td2 said:
Blame Bevell for the defense playing 2 different coverages on the Olson TD?
Never. There are multiple reasons we lose.

The fact remains that the OC, the QB, the offense in general have not answered scores in the 4th qtr, and cannot win a game where the other team scores more than 24.

How many other teams with elite QBs have to say that? Rob, teams right now are scoring an average of 23.4 pts per game.

Find a game since Bevell arrived where we win while allowing more than 24 points. Our mendoza line for losing isn't having a bad defensive day, it is merely having an average defensive day.

The D has been bad in the 4th. No lie there. But our offense has been unable to answer scores in the 4th qtr. Yesterday the 4 minute offense was awful. A hodgepodge of penalties mixed with they will never see this coming bootlegs and repeated attempts at big shots that had Russ getting smoked. I am not going to get into should they have run, or should they have passed, but look at it that drive play by play and it is difficult to call it both good situational football and the best use of available matchups.

I thought is was pretty clear long before that series that Carolina had made it obvious they were looking for QB movement on bootlegs, the ugliest sack of Russ was them guessing correctly on a bootleg. I would have had zero problem with a rhythm pass game based off a little play action, get the ball out fast type stuff, but what happened instead hung a lot of the game both on the worst part of the team, the O-line, and hoping Carolina would be fooled by getting the QB out of the pocket.

mrt144

Reaction score
Scottemojo":kho0zni7 said:
Largent80":kho0zni7 said:
Blame Bevell for the defense playing 2 different coverages on the Olson TD?
Never. There are multiple reasons we lose.

The fact remains that the OC, the QB, the offense in general have not answered scores in the 4th qtr, and cannot win a game where the other team scores more than 24.

How many other teams with elite QBs have to say that? Rob, teams right now are scoring an average of 23.4 pts per game.

Find a game since Bevell arrived where we win while allowing more than 24 points. Our mendoza line for losing isn't having a bad defensive day, it is merely having an average defensive day.

The D has been bad in the 4th. No lie there. But our offense has been unable to answer scores in the 4th qtr. Yesterday the 4 minute offense was awful. A hodgepodge of penalties mixed with they will never see this coming bootlegs and repeated attempts at big shots that had Russ getting smoked. I am not going to get into should they have run, or should they have passed, but look at it that drive play by play and it is difficult to call it both good situational football and the best use of available matchups.

I thought is was pretty clear long before that series that Carolina had made it obvious they were looking for QB movement on bootlegs, the ugliest sack of Russ was them guessing correctly on a bootleg. I would have had zero problem with a rhythm pass game based off a little play action, get the ball out fast type stuff, but what happened instead hung a lot of the game both on the worst part of the team, the O-line, and hoping Carolina would be fooled by getting the QB out of the pocket.

This - the Hawks are consistently calling plays that seem to ignore that the O line can't sustain long developing plays and almost wholly succeed through RW and his target making plays. Ricardo as a key example, but hell that pass that got us to the goaline from Wilson to Willson was another.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1kdb8hns said:

I think Bevell has a pretty small piece of the blame pie this week, because for much of the game he was doing a good job I thought. The Seahawks felt like they were getting back to 2012-2014 style of offense AND Graham had a huge day. So in fairness I have to give Bevell credit for a good start to the game.

But that said, I too was calling for a rhythm passing game pretty much the whole 4th quarter, and when Lynch committed that hold to prevent a monster sack on a bootleg to start Seattle's final offensive drive, I knew it was over. Like you suggest, I think Bevell was afraid of going with a rhythm passing attack because it felt too obvious.

It continues a trend of our OC relying on the element of surprise rather than design and execution. And it did cost the team on a couple of crucial plays late.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bevell's about #8 on the list of what's wrong with this team right now.

If we're crucifying a coordinator, Richard is my vote. Inexcusable to still be having defensive "miscommunication" issues almost halfway through the season.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2whj7zmu said:
Bevell's about #8 on the list of what's wrong with this team right now.

If we're crucifying a coordinator, Richard is my vote. Inexcusable to still be having defensive "miscommunication" issues almost halfway through the season.

Yet, Richard has 1/10th the coordinator experience as Bevell. Maybe get a cross 1/10th the size for Richard and crucify them both.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
How in the world do we have miscommunication issues in our own house? Earl said a verbal set didn't get "echoed." C'mon, they've been playing in the loud environment of the CLink for years. That coverage was just sloppy. It was good to see Richard's fire on the bench, but these fundamental flaws have to be corrected.