WR's getting zero separation , big part of the problem

seabowl

Reaction score
With all the Wilson and OL backlash, the WR's have looked generally like crap too. They get virtually no separation and are a big part of the reason for Wilson taking so many sacks and having him off his rhythm. Baldwin has absolutely disappeared this year while Kearse and Mathews aren't too far behind. While we are revamping the line this offseason we also better look for WR's that are capable of seperation to get open. i think come next year our WR crew looks way different. Thoughts?

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
We need NFL athletes at WR. Baldwin is a decent number 3 for most teams. Kearse is not an NFL athlete, Baldwin and Lockett while skilled are undersized even for slot guys.

I can't believe Brandon Marshall was traded for a 5th. We traded that for Kelcie GODDAMNWHO? McCray

checkdanews

Reaction score
There has been alot of plays left out on the field though. If I recall kearse, and Lockett have had a few plays this season were they were wide open, or had plenty of separation with a possibility to score a td, but either had the ball overthrown by 5 yards, or to short. I can think of atleast 1 with kearse I think last week...and I think 3 with lockett over the last few weeks.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
In the first half Lockett was open deep when Wilson took a sack. He just had to lead him deep on the throw. Not sure why he hesitated.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
seabowl":3j9dn6h7 said:
With all the Wilson and OL backlash, the WR's have looked generally like crap too. They get virtually no separation and are a big part of the reason for Wilson taking so many sacks and having him off his rhythm. Baldwin has absolutely disappeared this year while Kearse and Mathews aren't too far behind. While we are revamping the line this offseason we also better look for WR's that are capable of seperation to get open. i think come next year our WR crew looks way different. Thoughts?

I don't buy it. I watch NFL Redzone all day long and see passes upon passes upon passes to people less skilled than our guys, with the same separation, and a good throw becomes a completion.

It's a cocktail for failure:

Poor, inexperienced OLine.
A coaching staff that is trying to force an agenda to utter failure
An inability to set the tone with the run game
A QB who is so risk-averse that he accentuates all of the above.

I put very little of this on the defense.

davidonmi

Reaction score
not their fault bevell has them run middle school routes

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The route designs aren't doing them any favors though and that's nothing new. The guys on the NFL network and ESPN have been pointing that out for three years now. How often do we see two or more receivers routes take them to the same point on the field? How often do we see third and manageable routes run well short of the first down marker? How often do we see slow developing down field routes where the receivers backs are turned and Russ has no quick check down routes available? A good bit of our passing woes are by design for one reason or another.
Last year a recall Michael Irvin saying that a lot of our routes are actually for run blocking because we are a run first team. I think this being the case our Oline is run blocking so poorly behind them that it renders this route structure pointless. On running plays the ball carrier rarely gets to that point of the field and on passing plays with run no longer being a threat play action does t work. That play action is what is supposed to make the DB hesitate and allow the team receiver to gain separation before the DB realizes he is t being run blocked.

So the deteriation of our run blocking is the route cause of our passing woes. If we can't win our one on ones at the line we have to re design our offense.

Again this was Michael Irvin and Dion Sanders last season but still seems to make sense to me.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
You at the game? Otherwise it's extremely hard to tell from the broadcast other than a couple of plays they highlight. I don't think this is the problem this year. The problem is that we're so conservative with the ball that we're not going to throw it consistently in tight windows, add that to the fact that our pass blocking unit leaves a heck of a lot to be desired and you've got a recipe for 3 and outs. If our pass blocking was simply serviceable, we'd be putting up enough points to win these games.

Given the situation is what it is, the play-calling needs to compensate in order to help out the QB and the receivers, and from what I've seen; it hasn't. We're vanilla, and we've got the tools to be so much more.

I thought Bevell called a slightly better game today, but it was still bad. Lockett should be a hell of a weapon in the passing offense, and I was discouraged to hear Bevell and Carroll admitting that his receiving skills had surprised them after they thought they'd drafted a return man. He's a super-talented WR, and thus far is being wasted in our offense. My worry is that P-Rich will come back and take some snaps off him. That would be dumb, both P-Rich and Lockett have more to offer than Kearse.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":1hfs0a1e said:
get alshon Jeffrey...he;s available....

I'd be surprised if we didn't recognise that the receivers aren't the problem. We keep throwing money at the wrong solution to a problem. We thought Graham would solve some redzone issues, like Percy would solve our modest WR production. By process of elimination I'm hoping we next throw money at the O-line or a new coordinator. Either would help.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Carolina doesn't have world beaters at receiver, and I really doubt they out-schemed us.

Their guy simply made a number of clutch throws. Game.

This is a QB league, and the one who can put his team on his back in the 4th quarter generally wins.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
brimsalabim":v5j58my7 said:
The route designs aren't doing them any favors though and that's nothing new. The guys on the NFL network and ESPN have been pointing that out for three years now. How often do we see two or more receivers routes take them to the same point on the field? How often do we see third and manageable routes run well short of the first down marker? How often do we see slow developing down field routes where the receivers backs are turned and Russ has no quick check down routes available? A good bit of our passing woes are by design for one reason or another.
Last year a recall Michael Irvin saying that a lot of our routes are actually for run blocking because we are a run first team. I think this being the case our Oline is run blocking so poorly behind them that it renders this route structure pointless. On running plays the ball carrier rarely gets to that point of the field and on passing plays with run no longer being a threat play action does t work. That play action is what is supposed to make the DB hesitate and allow the team receiver to gain separation before the DB realizes he is t being run blocked.

So the deteriation of our run blocking is the route cause of our passing woes. If we can't win our one on ones at the line we have to re design our offense.

Again this was Michael Irvin and Dion Sanders last season but still seems to make sense to me.

Me too.

It's as if were trying to run the exact same run-first offense as the past three years,
minus the ability to threaten with the run.

northseahawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2s6zizxt said:
You got proof?

there is much proof that the wrs are getting open but our damn qb is not throwing the ball or doesn't see them.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Richardson will help this IMO.

Seems like last year, pre injury, he was the only one who would battle to find an opening when Russell would scramble. They started to develop a bit of continuity when RW scrambled. We need a few of guys doing this now since RW bails from the pocket so frequently this year.

VegasSeahawkFan

Reaction score
Problem with Wilson is he only throws to guys wide open. This is the nfl. Guys aren't going to be running wide open. Wilson needs to trusts his guys to make plays for him sometimes. Matthews wasn't open on any of his receptions in the super bowl. Lockett had four steps on his guy to the inside and Wilson decided to not pull the trigger. Graham wasn't that open on his passes today until he broke off his route. This offense is so pathetic that its time to take some risks and get guys open with his throws. That is what 22 mil quarterbacks do. They make good back shoulder throws and they make adjustments at the LOS to exploit weaknesses.