Some of the bad (keep it civil please)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Will put some of the negative plays in here as I go.

Q2 - 2nd and 7, I just want to kick Russ in the ass on this one. Not his finest moment. He actually climbed the pocket and hit this against I want to say, Chicago? I have a gif of it somewhere. Might try to track it down. This time he has a brain fart and lets instinct override common sense. Actually scrambles away from ALL of his receivers' routes.
EiifKDA.gif

Just for comparison, here's one where he doesn't scramble backward (can't find the one where he climbs the pocket rather than scrambling).
QwUDHw3

Q2 - 1st and 10 after that sweet 46 yard pass to Doug. This is where I think the offense (Wilson and Graham) will improve a lot over the course of the season. Wilson's been late on throws and this is a really bad one to be late on.
4pPDB2X

OT - Doesn't matter what the down and distance are. :34853_doh:
Rxbzjq9

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
For all the hours Wilson puts in, maybe he needs to put in LESS time??

I think he is overthinking things. And he most definitely is gunshy, not that I blame him totally for that.

I went to both the Lions game and the Bengals game and as I thought, there are open receivers if we have time and he refines his skill set.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
The time to hit him looks like it would have been at the "still open" part. It's difficult to say, but it looks like #57 would have been right where Russ would have needed to step up to at the time the receiver was at the top of his route.

Polk738

Reaction score
I think I shorter route concept would've worked just fine in that situation, because if you look right when Russ is ready to throw, Lockette isn't even looking for the ball and by the time he gets to the top of his route two guys are almost right there in his face. I was listening to 710 AM today and they actually brought this up a little bit, a lot of our route concepts just aren't working as they are taking too long to develop. If Lock, takes a shallower route into the flat, I guarantee you Russ hits him in stride an he gets that first down.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Polk738":3qs9job9 said:
I think I shorter route concept would've worked just fine in that situation, because if you look right when Russ is ready to throw, Lockette isn't even looking for the ball and by the time he gets to the top of his route two guys are almost right there in his face. I was listening to 710 AM today and they actually brought this up a little bit, a lot of our route concepts just aren't working as they are taking too long to develop. If Lock, takes a shallower route into the flat, I guarantee you Russ hits him in stride an he gets that first down.

This stood out to me as well. He would have been given the ball in full stride running across the field with a few steps on is guy. Hes a lot of things, but one of them is a burner. Good chance he take that to the house.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thank you kind sir for putting that in there. I still believe that this team is on the verge of gelling and then tearing the rest of the NFCW a new one.

By the time we get to Arizona, Clark should no longer be the mild mannered version of himself, but instead ripping off body parts and waving then wildly in the air while screaming unintelligibly and spitting fire.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is a little bit off topic, but watching TV and Charlie Casserly said

"2 ways New Orleans used Graham, In the red zone you see a lot of back shoulder, timing throws. Also New Orleans did a good job of moving him around and isolating him 1 on 1 against linebackers."

I"m sure our offense is different, but copying what works from another team isn't' a bad thing is it?

Utah_hawk

Reaction score
Thank you so much for doing this Laloosh. A lot of work to fix Wilson's internal timer that goes off. Hopefully he can fix it because you just can't miss out on opportunities such as these.

Tical21

Reaction score
He's just got to go somewhere else on the pass to Graham. He's got at least two more guys open, and maybe a touchdown on the post.

The worst play of the day was the deep pass to Lockett. If Russ doesn't leave the pocket for no reason, he's got a touchdown.

Fade

Reaction score
EiifKDA.gif

Russell immediately saw/felt the unblocked rusher coming at him, so he spun out to his left, Lockette needs to break off his route the other direction, and go with the QB. He didn't so Russ didn't throw it. It's not Lockette's fault either because he is just coming out of his break, and didn't see Russell spin out to his left, it's just one of those things.

When Russell resets to throw, the defender was right on him. So if he throws that ball there he would of gotten absolutely crushed. Russ didn't want to pay that price so he scrambled to the right.

Once he scrambled to his right he could of squeezed it in there to Lockette, but probably felt it was too risky so he salvaged what he could.

The awful play was on the FB for missing a block, and the LG who wandered off into the forest leaving a defender unblocked. Any other QB that is a sack for a big loss.

Sweezy at one point is just standing around and watching the game. in other words the protection was messed up.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I think Wilson has been fantastic for us but some times I also feel he is the problem. This year I definitely feel he is a big part of the problem. He is getting sacked way too much but so many of those are on him because he tries so hard to make something happen. When the statistics come out though it is just a sack on the offensive line. He (and the people calling the plays) need to figure out how to utilize Jimmy Graham or they might as well write it off like the Percy Harvin experiment. I know we are supposed to be a running team but if Jimmy Graham is not the focal point of our offense then it was a ridiculous trade, just like the Harvin trade was. The only difference is that an offense can be built around Graham and it has been proven just like it has so far been proven an offense can't be built around Harvin!

Fade

Reaction score
4pPDB2X.gif

This is the same concept (not exact play) as the ADB TD against the Lions. Jimmy sucks in all the underneath defenders, and draws the attention of the High Safety.

The ball again should of gone to ADB, but RW was piss poor on this play, and tried to force it to Jimmy.

Jimmy on a Post Route would of been intriguing since the Bengals were in Zone. Once he clears the underneath zone he would of been 1 on 1 with the high safety.

*edit* Also too it would of been interesting if RW would of held the ball on this play, and scrambled because the Bengals only had 10 men on the field.

Fade

Reaction score
peppersjap":17gc7hoi said:
I think Wilson has been fantastic for us but some times I also feel he is the problem. This year I definitely feel he is a big part of the problem.

He isn't. Protection issues with a green O-Line, and an "interesting" play caller who runs the offense his way regardless of personnel and matchups are the 2 reasons the Offense is struggling.

RW has a 99.1 passer rating w/200 rushing yards and 70% completion percentage, all things considered, that is pretty impressive.

This team is 4-1 right now, if they never go empty against the Rams, and/or Dion Bailey doesn't fall down. And Darrell Bevell is less predictable with his 3rd down play calls in the 2nd half against the Bengals. Seriously the Bengals DBs were running their routes for them.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/653386075793068032[/tweet]

justafan

Reaction score
Thanks for putting these up.
Im wondering what his stats look like under center.
Traditional timing concepts sync the timing of the route with 3,5 and 7 step drops.I wonder if he would benefit from going back under center more often to keep his timing on track.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Brock makes a good point. Typical blatant refusal by you know who to switch it up, or even attempt to adjust :roll:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Holding call on Okung and illegal block penalty on Gilliam late in the fourth and overtime both sabotaged drives, but those bashing our OC conveniently neglect to mention those details.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Doesn't change the fact that many are noticing that the Defenses seem to know what's coming. And it has been that way most of the season.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2zm0qc54 said:
Doesn't change the fact that many are noticing that the Defenses seem to know what's coming. And it has been that way most of the season.
So if the defenses seem to know what's coming, why is it that Russell is on pace for a career year in passing?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
peppersjap":1ttwki9q said:
I think Wilson has been fantastic for us but some times I also feel he is the problem. This year I definitely feel he is a big part of the problem. He is getting sacked way too much but so many of those are on him because he tries so hard to make something happen. When the statistics come out though it is just a sack on the offensive line. He (and the people calling the plays) need to figure out how to utilize Jimmy Graham or they might as well write it off like the Percy Harvin experiment.

And whose fault is it if the Offense does not utilize its players fully? It is Mr. Bevell....and finally Pete. That is why this message board is slapping their forehead on a regular basis!