Peter King MMQB - No quarterback’s getting beat up like Russ

ivotuk

Reaction score
"No quarterback’s getting beat up like Russell Wilson. No coincidence Seattle is 2-3 … lots of reasons why, really, including the leaky and green offensive line. But the Seahawks are still very much alive, despite the fact that Wilson has been sacked an NFL-high 22 times."

"That, Jackson said, is what a leader says. It’s what Dalton said to his offensive mates on the sideline too—whether he believed it or not. The comeback began on what I thought was a remarkable play call. On the first drive of the game, from the Seattle 14, Dalton sent Eifert—a better and more reliable pass-catcher and route-runner, with better hands, than last year’s tight end, Jermaine Gresham—up the left seam, and strong safety Kam Chancellor passed him back to a gap in the coverage that no one covered. Easy touchdown. “Through the game,” Jackson said, “I could see the adjustment hadn’t been made by Seattle. I don’t call the same play down there very often at all. But I saw something, and so we called it again.”"

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/12/nfl- ... peter-king

2_0_6

Reaction score
Yesterday was a prime example of a "sack" that really wasn't. Instead of Russ just throwing the ball out of bounds, he scrambled for a one yard loss. I really wonder how many of these have happened aready this year.

Might skew the numbers a tad.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
This is old news from someone who likely did not watch the game on Sunday. Only two bad blocks by Gilliam can be attributed for the sacks allowed by Russell. The pass protection was much improved in that game.

He also did not likely see the beating that Nick Foles took on nearly every pass attempt on Sunday.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":36e3w1cm said:
Yesterday was a prime example of a "sack" that really wasn't. Instead of Russ just throwing the ball out of bounds, he scrambled for a one yard loss. I really wonder how many of these have happened aready this year.

Radical thought - those "non-sacks" are offset by the ability to avoid sacks in other situations...

ringless

Reaction score
mikeak":j7v5ma5o said:
Hawk_Nation":j7v5ma5o said:

Radical thought - those "non-sacks" are offset by the ability to avoid sacks in other situations...

Wilson throws that ball away 99/100 times. Not to mention all the times he throws it away while his knee is an inch above the grass negating a sack. I think for the most part Wilson does an excellent job in those situations. Yesterday was a one time thing I think fans on here are acting like happens all of the time.

I've never seen a QB ever, avoid sacks like Wilson can and has. Just to turn those plays into monster gains with his legs or through the air.

northseahawk

Reaction score
He is as much responsible for the hits he is taking as the oline is. I just hope one of these hits fixes his habit of not getting the ball out faster.

rcaido

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1vwpbrik said:

Yeah Wilson loves to pad his stats! I dont know why he tries to avoid sacks & try to make a play, i mean yeah it does work & makes big plays out of them but he really should just throw the ball away. I mean that was 1 yard loss was the reason why we lose games.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
ringless":au3g3g2d said:
mikeak":au3g3g2d said:
Hawk_Nation":au3g3g2d said:

Wilson throws that ball away 99/100 times. Not to mention all the times he throws it away while his knee is an inch above the grass negating a sack. I think for the most part Wilson does an excellent job in those situations. Yesterday was a one time thing I think fans on here are acting like happens all of the time.

I've never seen a QB ever, avoid sacks like Wilson can and has. Just to turn those plays into monster gains with his legs or through the air.

Admit it, your a Russell Wilson fan :p Love your comments because they aren't skewed by fandom. Keep it up.

2_0_6

Reaction score
ringless":12wcpzj6 said:
mikeak":12wcpzj6 said:
Hawk_Nation":12wcpzj6 said:

I never said it happens all the time. It was brought up on the radio game cast by Warren Moon so this is why I asked the question.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
His height does play a factor. He has opportunities that other qb's might be able to get rid of the ball but he also makes some amazing plays. I imagine Brady or Rodgers would make this line look better but we have to play the hand we are delta.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
"you, you remember the time, when they didn't block for you?....Do you remember that?......that was awesome."

ringless

Reaction score
When I rewatched the all 22 Wilson took some monster hits as he was letting the ball go this week.

Exittium

Reaction score
I also think that with our Oline, it can be hard on them to have a qb like wilson in there because he does have that ability to run and I think that causes a lot of confusion on our Oline as well.. Not saying they'd be any better or making excuses because they do suck, and wilson does get hit a lot. But I think with that added skillset of being able to run, it mentally screws with the Oline as well. So there starts to become a lot of hesitation or doubts on both ends

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Honestly.. Wilson can't win in people's minds. He is criticized when he doesnt run then when he does run he's not a pocket passer. He throws fewer interceptions than most qbs because he holds onto the ball longer and plays more conservatively as PC preaches. I suppose most of you want Luck behind this O line made of ex tight-end and former defensive lineman right?
Just food for thought: Were these linemen chosen with the pass pro in mind or to plow for Lynch?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Also PC touched on the quick passing issue today. We are a play action passing offense designed around a power running game. Our philosophy doesnt lend to a quick passing game especially over the middle. Furthermore I wonder if we even practice these timing plays enough in practice.
We all know it will take time for this O line that hasnt worked much together made mostly of undrafteds and converts.. We cant expect our offense to continue where last years group left off given the new faces and less experience.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He could throw 7 touchdowns for 400 plus yards, and rush for 100 plus, and people would still whine about him.
It is what it is.