Why The Patriots Would Have Beat The Bengals

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My friend sent me this note and it completely underscores the difference in philosophy we have versus Brady and the Patriots:

"(Brady) tells everybody make sure you know, don't ever take your foot off the gas, just keep going. No matter the score, at halftime, he's saying it's 0-0, just keep going. It's just that mentality that he has. It's just contagious."

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
That used to be our philosophy too.

We showed it in SB48. We showed it when we were putting 50 burgers on the Bills, Cardinals and nearly the Niners.

Somewhere along the line, it's changed.. and it is the most alarming thing in all of this.

Greenhell

Reaction score
I think, as fans, we all feel this way. It's too bad PC and company felt the need to back off. NEVER BACK OFF! Put the choke on and don't let up till you end them. UGH!

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
In PC's post game presser, they said they were not trying to do that. They just didn't execute. Honestly, did the offense play that great all game in establishing the 17 point lead? Rawls long run got one TD. The Defense got the other.

I don't think the offense ever really had the foot on the gas pedal. They merely revved the engine a couple of times.

The O-line played better, so there's a reason for some optimism. But, from what I could see... receivers are not getting separation. I'm not a fan of the play calling, in general. But, not going to go there. I'll keep my comments direction at lack of execution.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know why and when we stopped having that philosophy either. However Pete's been saying he takes the blame for the 4th quarter meltdowns so I have to believe we are going to see the team get back to that SBXLVIII philosophy. Put your foot on their necks and keep the pressure on until they suffocate and the game is over.

The play calling has to remain aggressive for 60 minutes, period, end of story.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Say what you want about Brady, but I love his killer instinct. He said once in an interview, in response to allegation of "running up the score" in 2007, that an offense's job is to score, so if he ever takes the field and doesn't score, he's not doing his job. I love it.

I wish our coaches felt the same. Instead, Bevell tries to run a whole quarter off the clock. By throwing to the sidelines no less. The guy is clueless.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2a8dboft said:
In PC's post game presser, they said they were not trying to do that. They just didn't execute. Honestly, did the offense play that great all game in establishing the 17 point lead? Rawls long run got one TD. The Defense got the other.

I don't think the offense ever really had the foot on the gas pedal. They merely revved the engine a couple of times.

The O-line played better, so there's a reason for some optimism. But, from what I could see... receivers are not getting separation. I'm not a fan of the play calling, in general. But, not going to go there. I'll keep my comments direction at lack of execution.

This is a good point. The team had 2 big plays that gave us a 17 point lead (and one was a Defensive TD). Other than that, it was a close game. The Offense only really sustained a couple drives in the whole game, and one ended in an INT in the redzone. I think the Offense struggled a lot yesterday outside of the long TD run.

kidhawk

Reaction score
This was, by far, my biggest disappointment yesterday. Even had we ended up winning the game, the offense letting up at the end and trying to run the clock out for far too much of the game, was our downfall. We are too conservative for our own good Too many non-drives by the offense can quickly tire a defense and when playing a good offense, you can lose your lead in a big hurry.

I am not sure if Wilson is checking to the run, but I have a sneaking suspicion that at some point in the second half, he was told to try to run the clock as much as possible with run plays. This just wasn't working. Our current offensive line won't win the line of scrimmage when a team knows we are going to try to run the clock like that.

We absolutely must continue to pressure teams in games like these by sustaining drives, even if you end up punting or kicking field goals. you must get several first downs each drive in a game like this.

StoneCold

Reaction score
HawkFan72":fyum4frd said:
TeamoftheCentury":fyum4frd said:

This is a good point. The team had 2 big plays that gave us a 17 point lead (and one was a Defensive TD). Other than that, it was a close game. The Offense only really sustained a couple drives in the whole game, and one ended in an INT in the redzone. I think the Offense struggled a lot yesterday outside of the long TD run.

Agree. I don't think our offense is yet capable of puting up 50 points. Not yet, but I still believe.

kidhawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1pzvja17 said:

That execution line is bogus in cases like this. Sure, if they Executed better on the run plays they kept calling it's possible to continue drives, but it was evident that we were trying to run the ball more and keep the clock going late in the game, the fact that we weren't executing is exactly why you are supposed to, as a coaching staff, change things up to something that they can execute. Our offensive line isn't good enough to make wholes when a defense like the Bengals' knows we are trying to run the clock like we were.

There's and old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and in this instance, it was broke and yet they couldn't see that it was so they didn't fix it. Sure the players didn't execute, but the play calls were atrocious, and as much as I want to put this on Bevell, I firmly believe that Pete wanted to see that conservative style at the end, and that cost us.

I'd be much more willing to see what Wilson can do in the air with a lead with the way our team is currently playing.

rcaido

Reaction score
I think Carol has too much respect for other coaches to run up the score...He also has a lot of confidence w/ Wilson & the D. This bit him in the ass. Teams doesn't seem to fear us anymore, probably because we always play to their level & doing just enough to win instead blowing them away. We dont put pressure on teams when we are on offense, just run & pound make the least amount of mistakes. We have too much talent to be doing this conservative play.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":yukskxsv said:

Did you forget Russell Wilson's TD pass to Kearse in the first quarter?, that's two for the Offense, and 1 for the Defense.
I think the Seahawks need to remember what swagger feels like.
Lot's of misfires yesterday, they go up by 17, and then tried to coasting for 15 Minutes to get across the finish line.

RussB

Reaction score
Agree with brady, hes just ruthless. Hawks need to start stomping teams again

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
scutterhawk":5zgw8afs said:
TeamoftheCentury":5zgw8afs said:

Did you forget Russell Wilson's TD pass to Kearse in the first quarter?, that's two for the Offense, and 1 for the Defense.
I think the Seahawks need to remember what swagger feels like.
Lot's of misfires yesterday, they go up by 17, and then tried to coasting for 15 Minutes to get across the finish line.
No, I didn't forget. The gist of my post was speaking to what PC said and the blown lead. The lead that was established involved 2 TD's (Rawls and Wagner) as well as a FG. The starting point of my post was from the 7-7 tie.

Yes, the offense looked pretty good on that first drive, didn't it? Looked like it was going to match the Bengals. But, it wasn't really the case if you compared the offenses as the game went on. The lead the Hawks had was well earned, but it wasn't exactly because the Offense was clicking.

Whatever happened to the talk of the Offense using more up-tempo, no huddle? Anyone remember Russ or PC talking about that earlier this year? They identified that they could benefit from doing more of of this. I think that might be a good idea at this point. They gotta change it up and keep Defenses guessing.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kidhawk":23l64ywo said:
TeamoftheCentury":23l64ywo said:

That execution line is bogus in cases like this. Sure, if they Executed better on the run plays they kept calling it's possible to continue drives, but it was evident that we were trying to run the ball more and keep the clock going late in the game, the fact that we weren't executing is exactly why you are supposed to, as a coaching staff, change things up to something that they can execute. Our offensive line isn't good enough to make wholes when a defense like the Bengals' knows we are trying to run the clock like we were.

There's and old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and in this instance, it was broke and yet they couldn't see that it was so they didn't fix it. Sure the players didn't execute, but the play calls were atrocious, and as much as I want to put this on Bevell, I firmly believe that Pete wanted to see that conservative style at the end, and that cost us.

I'd be much more willing to see what Wilson can do in the air with a lead with the way our team is currently playing.
Take it up with Pete!

I agree with you to some degree, but I also see what Pete was trying to say so not sure I'd go as far as to say it was completely bogus in this situation. They were not intentionally trying to be ineffective. I took his comments that they thought they had the right plays called.

But yeah, I'm with pretty much everyone else wanting to see them keep their foot on opponents' throats with a lead - more aggressive play calling. But, they poorly executed some of the plays they called in key moments. THAT is where I think Pete's comments were directed.

I think they lost the Super Bowl because they sat on the 24-14 lead. 24 points... not enough there Seahawks. Try for 43. That seems to work.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Because Brady cheats? People forget Wilson played better than Brady in the Super Bowl.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Aros":1xj3wc0o said:
My friend sent me this note and it completely underscores the difference in philosophy we have versus Brady and the Patriots:

"(Brady) tells everybody make sure you know, don't ever take your foot off the gas, just keep going. No matter the score, at halftime, he's saying it's 0-0, just keep going. It's just that mentality that he has. It's just contagious."
I hate Brady with every ounce of my being, but this is exactly the mentality you need to possess in order to consistently win.

Pete Carroll can say whatever he wants to try and justify the Seahawks not keeping the foot on the gas, but we all don't believe him. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. Pete Carroll has a headset on, he can hear all the calls Bevell makes, he doesn't agree he can switch the play calls. But he doesn't.

Every call, he can veto it. He's the coach. Staffing decisions, he's also in charge of that as well.

It's a day later and I'm still upset!

17 point lead, man!!!!

17!!!

SMDH!!!

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Aros":ug6oty03 said:
The play calling has to remain aggressive for 60 minutes, period, end of story.
So you were for 100% for the slant route to Lockette on 2nd and Goal in the Super Bowl? You didn't dislike the playcall once? Ever?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Agreed. This team played with outright cowardice this weekend trying to just protect a lead rather than step on the Bengals' throats. They payed the price and I hope Paul Allen is asking Pete and co what Belichick and Brady would do in that situation.