How to beat the 2015 Carolina Panthers

phillyb

Reaction score
Hey everyone, for last year's playoff game against the Panthers I crafted an extensive post on my team's weaknesses and strengths, which you can read here: http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104777&p=1529029#p1529029, and - as I secretly expected - you guys beat us. Oh well, we never should've made it that far to begin with.

Now we meet again, for the fifth time in four years. We haven't beat you guys once in those first four matchups, so history's against us, but let's take a look at a few of the changes in the Panthers this season and see what the likelihood of breaking the spell is.

1) Kelvin Benjamin is gone. That's probably the single biggest factor right there. He blew an ACL in training camp and he's out for the season. Utterly devastating, as no one's been able to step up in his absence to provide what he provided on the field last year. Replacing him are rookie Devin Funchess (who's been anemic) and Ted Ginn Jr. (who's having the best year of his career, but that's not saying a lot.)

2) The offensive line has been retooled. Legendarily terrible left tackle Byron Bell is gone, replaced by Michael Oher. He's only mediocre, but mediocre is a breath of fresh air over what we dealt with for years on that side. The rest of the line remains the same as last year's playoff lineup, so all of a sudden we've got a vastly improved unit there that's keeping Cam upright.

3) The offensive backfield has made some changes. Deangelo Williams is gone. Jonathan Stewart is the feature back now, with Tolbert rotating in, Fozzy Whittaker, and rookie Cameron Artis-Payne providing backup roles.

4) The defensive end position was a question, and then an unsatisfactory answer, and suddenly, now, a question again, but an exciting one. We rolled into the season with Charles Johnson at LDE and the hope someone would step up at RDE. No one really did, outside of Kony Ealy and Mario Addison providing flashes. Then Charles Johnson yanked a hamstring and went on temporary IR, and the team traded for Jared Allen and picked up some kid named Ryan Delaire. They both debuted against the Bucs, and Jared Allen played reasonably well, but Delaire was a destructive force from the opening snap. He had multiple sacks and the left tackle simply couldn't handle him. Whether he can repeat that performance (it WAS the Bucs, after all) remains to be seen, but we're all pretty excited.

5) The defensive secondary is vastly improved. Some of it's experience, some of it's free agent talent. We brought in Charles Tillman from the Bears, and as much as anything he's provided veteran leadership. He's our starting CB2, which lets second-year man Bene Benwikere cover the slot, which is his best skill. Josh Norman is an island on the outside, playing like the best CB in the league right now (no, really, he's playing like Richard Sherman, and I don't say that lightly.) At safety we've still got old-ass Roman Harper out there, but we brought in Kurt Coleman at free safety and it's been revolutionary for the defense (check out this article for a schematic breakdown on why: http://www.carolinahuddle.com/index...utes-to-carolinas-defensive-renaissance-r652/

In total I'd say this year you guys are facing a wounded - but overall improved - squad in the 2015 Carolina Panthers. But we still have serious weaknesses despite a 4-0 start. Here are three ways Pete Carroll and the Seahawks can take advantage and come out with a fifth straight win:

1) Bracket the hell out of Greg Olsen. In week one the Jaguars committed three men to him at times, bracketing him with a backer and a safety and sometimes a corner. It was remarkably effective, and the passing game was shaky that day. We won largely because of defensive plays.

Since then teams have followed the same blueprint, more or less gambling that Carolina's marginal stable of receivers won't be able to beat single coverage or find holes in zones while Olsen is on lockdown. The Texans followed the same idea and did a decent job of slowing the passing game. The Saints, recognizing that Ted Ginn Jr. was a feasible deep threat, decided to roll more coverage his way and keep safeties back for second-year man Philly Brown, who caught a deep bomb touchdown the week before. The result was Greg Olsen's career-best game. Bracket Greg Olsen, nothing else the Panthers can do to you is worse than what they can do with a single-covered Greg Olsen.

2) Pump fake. Seriously, pump fake all day. Josh Norman is a boss but he's so turnover hungry that he's liable to telegraph coverage jumps that can be exploited. The Panthers like to leave Roman Harper deep in trap coverage, so if you get a speedy receiver to bite on a pump you may well have your receiver one-on-one against Harper, which will be an easy decision for Wilson to make.

3) Step up in the pocket. It remains to be seen what Carolina's new DE duo can do, but through four games the story has been an interior DL mysteriously bad at getting inside pressure and rushing DEs who fly harmlessly past the quarterback as he steps up in a neat pocket. Wilson should stay in the pocket on Sunday and step into his throws rather than moving laterally.

4) Score early. Carolina is not a team built to put up quick points, especially with Kelvin Benjamin gone. If you can get on the board early and often you'll force the offense to become one-dimensional, and that's where your secondary can feast. Cam is playing the best ball of his career right now despite limited numbers, but that doesn't mean throwing to Philly Brown down 21 points is going to provide a very good outcome.

That's about all I've got. As usual this one should be hard-fought and close. Here's to an injury-free game, and possibly someone on this forum explaining to me what the hell this emoticon is: :17:

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
Optimus25":xrychyy0 said:
Norman is outplaying Sherman. By a mile.

is that on sherman, or the pass rush? to be honest i haven't watched a single seahawks game this year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Ah, the number of times this team has had its way with Roman Harper.

The "Beastquake" may have been the highlight of the 2010 playoff game, but Hasselbeck absolutely had Harper for lunch that evening.

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ud4e9ks said:
Ah, the number of times this team has had its way with Roman Harper.

The "Beastquake" may have been the highlight of the 2010 playoff game, but Hasselbeck absolutely had Harper for lunch that evening.

yeah he can't cover the pass worth a damn. with our elevated corner play i expect to see harper brought into the box pretty frequently with coleman playing the deep ball on either side of the field. stopping lynch has always been a priority for the panthers and they've done it pretty well (62yd/0TD avg in 4 games) and i don't expect this go-round to be any different.

Optimus25

Reaction score
phillyb":d876mm20 said:
Optimus25":d876mm20 said:

is that on sherman, or the pass rush? to be honest i haven't watched a single seahawks game this year.

Sherman 100 percent. Our pass rush looks the same to me, if not better.

And I'm not blaming any corner who gets beat after say three to four seconds. That is usually blameshared between the pressure and the secondary.

Let's just say in crunch time late game, nick foles went right at Sherman. And won. Aj green won enough battles too. He needs to refocus major league before he makes all pro first team IMO.

He's still top five in the league, but he seems to be playing like the Seahawks in general now, just completely outthinking himself.

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
Optimus25":2nps38l6 said:
phillyb":2nps38l6 said:
Optimus25":2nps38l6 said:

Sherman 100 percent. Our pass rush looks the same to me, if not better.

And I'm not blaming any corner who gets beat after say three to four seconds. That is usually blameshared between the pressure and the secondary.

Let's just say in crunch time late game, nick foles went right at Sherman. And won. Aj green won enough battles too. He needs to refocus major league before he makes all pro first team IMO.

He's still top five in the league, but he seems to be playing like the Seahawks in general now, just completely outthinking himself.

i don't know that any of our receivers are good enough to take on sherman and win, so i wouldn't be surprised if we ran 3WR sets all day to basically remove sherman from the equation (i trust our WR2 and WR3 against the seattle secondary more than i do Ginn vs. Sherman.)

do you guys have any glaring changes in the lineup that've contributed to this year's slow start? are there any direct weaknesses you could point out in the team that you think a team like the panthers could exploit?

chawx

Reaction score
Thanks for all the pointers, but....

"We're just going to line up, play our regular base defense, and see if you can beat us straight up. We're not scheming for anyone, against anyone, or changing anything we do for any team." - Pete Carroll probably

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
chawx":3pmqwcw7 said:

"We're just going to line up, play our regular base defense, and see if you can beat us straight up. We're not scheming for anyone, against anyone, or changing anything we do for any team." - Pete Carroll probably

who needs qualitative analysis when you have sweet-ass catchy football maxims?! the seahawks probably are just going to recite that phrase biblically all week until kickoff instead of watching game film.

chawx

Reaction score
phillyb":111rpke2 said:
chawx":111rpke2 said:

who needs qualitative analysis when you have sweet-ass catchy football maxims?! the seahawks probably are just going to recite that phrase biblically all week until kickoff instead of watching game film.

If it ain't broke... ;)

Attachments

• 1391409148000-USP-NFL-Super-Bowl-XLVIII-Denver-Broncos-vs-Seatt-001.jpg
    1391409148000-USP-NFL-Super-Bowl-XLVIII-Denver-Broncos-vs-Seatt-001.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,467

ivotuk

Reaction score
Impressive posts man. I love your approach too, no bragging, no predictions, instead "how to beat the Panthers." THat takes a lot of self-confidence and honesty. Thank you for demonstrating that. :th2thumbs:

sam1313

Reaction score
do you guys have any glaring changes in the lineup that've contributed to this year's slow start? are there any direct weaknesses you could point out in the team that you think a team like the panthers could exploit?

Our biggest, glaring weakness right now is the 4th quarter. We have been outscored something like 58-13 in the fourth quarter. I would make sure to tell your guys to never, ever give up in this game.

Our OL is also very suspect, but they had a remarkable turn-around last week versus the bengals. Equally problematic is our OC Bevell, and to say he is disliked around these parts is an definite understatement. After we got up by 17 on Sunday, every single offensive possession finished with run, run, pass (and the 3rd down passes were not inventive or creative at all - even in OT).

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
ivotuk":hynqcf9p said:
Impressive posts man. I love your approach too, no bragging, no predictions, instead "how to beat the Panthers." THat takes a lot of self-confidence and honesty. Thank you for demonstrating that. :th2thumbs:

haha i try to save the bravado for the panthers forum where it's better received. i actually think we'll win this game and finally break the streak, but i've thought that before, so... we'll see.

OP
OP
P

phillyb

Reaction score
sam1313":1gsc90lv said:

Our biggest, glaring weakness right now is the 4th quarter. We have been outscored something like 58-13 in the fourth quarter. I would make sure to tell your guys to never, ever give up in this game.

Our OL is also very suspect, but they had a remarkable turn-around last week versus the bengals. Equally problematic is our OC Bevell, and to say he is disliked around these parts is an definite understatement. After we got up by 17 on Sunday, every single offensive possession finished with run, run, pass (and the 3rd down passes were not inventive or creative at all - even in OT).

any specific personnel issues? who's max unger's replacement and how's he doing? you guys have a new right tackle in the lineup as well this year, right?

chawx

Reaction score
phillyb":24j94uak said:
sam1313":24j94uak said:

any specific personnel issues? who's max unger's replacement and how's he doing? you guys have a new right tackle in the lineup as well this year, right?

Drew Nowak. Converted Defensive Lineman. He's shown progress but needs work—his snaps can sometimes be an issue and have caused Russell to fumble a couple times in the Lions game (One of those fumbles going back for a defensive TD). Still raw, but serviceable.

RT = Gilliam, played TE and a little OLine in college for Penn st. Undrafted. But has a really high ceiling. People have been talking about him being one of the better RT's for the Seahawks since the Holmgren days. He's like our other OLinemen, looks good until he doesn't (if that makes sense). Needs more consistency, and is a WIP.

OL is an issue on this team, no doubt about it. But, progress has been shown each game, they seem to have been playing the best football in the 3rd qtr after coming out of the tunnel at Halftime,but 4th quarters everything falls apart (Offense, Defense, Play Calling, etc etc etc etc)

In previous matchups with us, you've probably noticed that we make 1 or 2 huge plays in the 4th and win the game. This year we've been making 1 or 2 terrible plays in the 4th and have been losing games. In years past, if we had a lead on you guys going into the 4th, it was game. set. match. If we're leading going into the 4th this upcoming game with you guys, stay tuned, even at the Clink, it's not a given we'll pull it out and coast to an easy win like years past.

Good luck.... just not this week, pal. :)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
One glaring weakness came back and is still trying to figure out the scheme. But it is very close that Kam will be available and back to normal. Cary Williams is getting on track to do the damage that we requested of him. That pretty much is all that I have.

As you said, I hope for a great scrimmage with no injuries....er uh...game that is. :thfight7:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
phillyb":3oazyao6 said:
That's about all I've got. As usual this one should be hard-fought and close. Here's to an injury-free game, and possibly someone on this forum explaining to me what the hell this emoticon is: :17:

Thanks for the nice post from the other sideline. As for the emoticon it is a Pithy Radish in honor of one of the finest members .NET has ever produced. Sadly, he passed away last year.

He has another one: :les:

Good luck to your Panthers after Sunday. :)