Was Holmgren Coaching In The 4th Quarter?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
They looked like the Holmgren-driven Seahawks from the mid 2000's...Playing not to lose versus playing to win. A philosophy I will NEVER understand in the NFL. This is a gladiator sport. You put your foot on the gas and never let up until the clock reads 0:00.

We were clearly the better team for 45 minutes. Unfortunately the game is played for 60 minutes. There's plenty of blame to go around in this one. From the coaches to the offense and defense. We had this game in the bag and let it slip away because we went vanilla in the 4th, assuming the game was over. Simply uncharacteristic of a Pete Carroll-led team where he preaches you don't win in the first, second or third quarter but the 4th (and sometimes 5th) like the very paradigm itself will save your Soul.

This is a troubling trait that needs to be snuffed out as in NOW.

Thankfully we have a paper tiger undefeated team in the Panthers coming to town. We will be 3-3 after next Sunday just like last year. And the rest of the schedule looks less intimidating. Head's up 12's. We still got this.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Man I'm glad I'm not the only one that had shades of Holmgren. Kam kind of played like Michael Boulware today too.

Disagree on the Panthers being a paper tiger part. Their defense is still very legit and Josh Norman is the DPOY at this point. This is a team that always played us close when we were playing much sharper than we are now. This will be another nail-biter IMO.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3anz152o said:
Disagree on the Panthers being a paper tiger part. Their defense is still very legit and Josh Normal is the DPOY at this point. This is a team that always played us close when we were playing much sharper than we are now. This will be another nail-biter IMO.

Yeah I take my paper tiger assessment back. You are right. It will be a hard-fought battle but because we are home, I will call it a W right now.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":2cpocer8 said:
They looked like the Holmgren-driven Seahawks from the mid 2000's...Playing not to lose versus playing to win. A philosophy I will NEVER understand in the NFL. This is a gladiator sport. You put your foot on the gas and never let up until the clock reads 0:00.

We were clearly the better team for 45 minutes. Unfortunately the game is played for 60 minutes. There's plenty of blame to go around in this one. From the coaches to the offense and defense. We had this game in the bag and let it slip away because we went vanilla in the 4th, assuming the game was over. Simply uncharacteristic of a Pete Carroll-led team where he preaches you don't win in the first, second or third quarter but the 4th (and sometimes 5th) like the very paradigm itself will save your Soul.

Thankfully we have a paper tiger undefeated team in the Panthers coming to town. We will be 3-3 after next Sunday just like last year. And the rest of the schedule looks less intimidating. Head's up 12's. We still got this.

YEP^^^^

Hawker

Reaction score
I, too, made the assimilation with Holmgren's 4th quarter offense. What a frustrating way to lose.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I stole this from a times comment

Baffled? What is there to be baffled about? You could see this coming a mile away when the Hawks decided to try to run out the clock with half the 3rd quarter remaining. I'd say this team isn't going anywhere as long as Bevell is the OC but I'm not sure it matters - Carroll's conservative style is killing them. They've lost 4 of their last 6 and held a 4th quarter lead in every game (and, realistically, it should probably be 5/6 if not for a stroke of luck against Detroit). The only lead they've been able to hold was against the Bears and their hapless JV offense. They've been remarkably consistent at losing leads and the one thing they refuse to do? Try something different. "We're going to a be a running team that controls the ball". No, your not - your going to TRY to be a running team but instead you'll just go 3-and-out over and over and over again. But, hey, don't let that stop you. Just stick with two runs up the middle on every 1st & 2nd down and then have Wilson scramble for his life on 3rd & long when everybody knows it has to be a pass.

It's easy to blame the defense for letting these leads slip away but really, it's almost all on their offense. How many defenses in this league can hold up repeatedly when the offense can't stay on the field for more than 4 downs for almost the entire game. Seattle had one good drive the whole day (the opening one). After that, they scored a field goal with time running out in the half after Cincy went into prevent mode (which just about every team in the league can score against these days) and then Rawls broke a run and they luckily weren't forced to sustain a drive. And that's it. Just pathetic. This team simply cannot play with the lead because every time they get ahead, Carroll suddenly thinks it's 2013 and they can just run out the clock no matter how much time remains - this despite the fact that their run game is almost always ineffective (and it's particularly bad when the defense knows a run is coming - pretty much the final 20 minutes of this game). Even Rawls' numbers were deceptive - he had 90 yards on 2 runs. That didn't stop Seattle from running 21 other times for a grand total of 79 yards.

I would have actually felt better had Cincy scored with about a minute left and Seattle would have been forced to go with the hurry-up and stop effing running it - as least then they would have had a chance. Once it got to OT they were doomed because with no time pressure, they went right back to conceding every 1st and 2nd down with runs up the middle. Seriously, how many times does something not have to work before they stop doing it?

hawker84

Reaction score
Aros":9yr1fbkm said:

Was screaming the same exact thing yesterday. So Frustrating.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Holmgren would have at least put his best back in at the end to run the ball. Still trying to figure out why Rawls wasn't in there at the end.

Some of these calls by Pete and his staff at the end of games has been truly baffling.

DeeHawks

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":36oei43e said:
Holmgren would have at least put his best back in at the end to run the ball. Still trying to figure out why Rawls wasn't in there at the end.

Some of these calls by Pete and his staff at the end of games has been truly baffling.
I was wondering the same thing. Why wasn't Rawls in there? I hope someone asks Pete this week so we can find out if there was a reason. It didn't make any sense.

Rocket

Reaction score
We were talking about the same damn thing... the last quarter and a half felt like we waybacked to the Walrus and his Prevent Offense™

kf3339

Reaction score
I hope Aros that the team doesn't assume an automatic win this Sunday, or we will lose for sure.

This team of ours can't assume anything from what I can see. They need to play to win at all times and thru out the entire game with no let down. It is the only way I can see us get back into a confident and abrasive attitude that right now is sorely missing.

Greenhell

Reaction score
falcongoggles":3437crpv said:
I stole this from a times comment

Baffled? What is there to be baffled about? You could see this coming a mile away when the Hawks decided to try to run out the clock with half the 3rd quarter remaining. I'd say this team isn't going anywhere as long as Bevell is the OC but I'm not sure it matters - Carroll's conservative style is killing them. They've lost 4 of their last 6 and held a 4th quarter lead in every game (and, realistically, it should probably be 5/6 if not for a stroke of luck against Detroit). The only lead they've been able to hold was against the Bears and their hapless JV offense. They've been remarkably consistent at losing leads and the one thing they refuse to do? Try something different. "We're going to a be a running team that controls the ball". No, your not - your going to TRY to be a running team but instead you'll just go 3-and-out over and over and over again. But, hey, don't let that stop you. Just stick with two runs up the middle on every 1st & 2nd down and then have Wilson scramble for his life on 3rd & long when everybody knows it has to be a pass.

It's easy to blame the defense for letting these leads slip away but really, it's almost all on their offense. How many defenses in this league can hold up repeatedly when the offense can't stay on the field for more than 4 downs for almost the entire game. Seattle had one good drive the whole day (the opening one). After that, they scored a field goal with time running out in the half after Cincy went into prevent mode (which just about every team in the league can score against these days) and then Rawls broke a run and they luckily weren't forced to sustain a drive. And that's it. Just pathetic. This team simply cannot play with the lead because every time they get ahead, Carroll suddenly thinks it's 2013 and they can just run out the clock no matter how much time remains - this despite the fact that their run game is almost always ineffective (and it's particularly bad when the defense knows a run is coming - pretty much the final 20 minutes of this game). Even Rawls' numbers were deceptive - he had 90 yards on 2 runs. That didn't stop Seattle from running 21 other times for a grand total of 79 yards.

I would have actually felt better had Cincy scored with about a minute left and Seattle would have been forced to go with the hurry-up and stop effing running it - as least then they would have had a chance. Once it got to OT they were doomed because with no time pressure, they went right back to conceding every 1st and 2nd down with runs up the middle. Seriously, how many times does something not have to work before they stop doing it?

This is so spot on it makes my body shiver. If we, the fans and the media, can see this, how cannot PC and the rest of the coaching staff?