Why doesn't Russell ever keep it on a read option?

rjdriver

Reaction score
Those two 3rd and shorts?

We not run a read option and keep it. We hadn't run any all game, and it keeps the clock running. This is what we used going into the fourth so many times in the past (see @ Chicago). Play to Russells strengths.

I'm so frustrated right now. I know the D gave up 17 in the fourth but they played incredible up
to that point and scored a touchdown. What more could you ask for? I'll take that performance every time. When your defense plays well enough where you all you need is a first down or two in the 4th to win, I'll take it.

nanomoz

Reaction score
SeatownJay":14ki7nv8 said:
Most of the time those are not true read options, they're handoffs all the way.

That's gotta be why. I can't believe that Russell is looking at open green and turning away.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
SeatownJay":qp9ukpyp said:

Then why not call the read options and make them actual read options? The OP is absolutely correct. We used to steal teams' souls with those calls in RWs rookie season and have used it less and less every year it seems.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":2v8qmoju said:
SeatownJay":2v8qmoju said:

Then why not call the read options and make them actual read options? The OP is absolutely correct. We used to steal teams' souls with those calls in RWs rookie season and have used it less and less every year it seems.
Because the team just invested a bunch of money in their QB and Carroll & Bevell don't want him taking unnecessary hits on runs.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1hqyh8ln said:
SeaToTheHawks":1hqyh8ln said:
SeatownJay":1hqyh8ln said:

Because the team just invested a bunch of money in their QB and Carroll & Bevell don't want him taking unnecessary hits on runs.

He rarely if ever took hits. He's one of the most intelligent QBs on the run I've ever seen and always got down at the exact perfect moment.

And his running is one of the things that made him so valuable and worthy of that contract...Now we take it away?

That's like being attracted to a woman with big tits and then when you marry her you tell her to get a breast reduction.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nanomoz":1267o1r7 said:
SeatownJay":1267o1r7 said:

That's gotta be why. I can't believe that Russell is looking at open green and turning away.

They're only open green because he turns away. If he keeps it, he draws the DE or spying LB like a magnet.

nanomoz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1v3cgrw9 said:
nanomoz":1v3cgrw9 said:
SeatownJay":1v3cgrw9 said:

They're only open green because he turns away. If he keeps it, he draws the DE or spying LB like a magnet.

I thought there were 2 that Gilliam had sealed. I'll rewatch.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":35bloiva said:
nanomoz":35bloiva said:
SeatownJay":35bloiva said:

They're only open green because he turns away. If he keeps it, he draws the DE or spying LB like a magnet.[/quote

there were multiple read options with no one within five yards of RW, keeper or no keeper. The whole situation is maddening.

Reaction score
Im with u guys. Why not keep it. Im not worried about read option hits as much as the pocket hits hes taking on deeper shots.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
If they did call run plays from a read-option look, I imagine it's because if the RB knows he's getting the ball, there's less potential for a fumble off a misunderstanding over whether or not RW is keeping it. With Lynch out and Rawls being inexperienced, this may have made us less inclined to risk a moment of misunderstanding.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think we seen in the pre season that they don't want Russell running as much and taking as many open field hits, now saying that the difference in taking hits your prepared for versus sacks when you don't always see guys is perplexing.