How Important Is It To Re-Sign Okung?

timmat

Reaction score
Given the weakness of our O line, is it more important to bring Okung back after this year? I'd felt like he won't be worth the money Im sure another team might offer him. However, watching this O line, and seeing the shortage of O lineman in the league these days, we might have to make sure he's back.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
timmat":3k1dg0yk said:
Given the weakness of our O line, is it more important to bring Okung back after this year? I'd felt like he won't be worth the money Im sure another team might offer him. However, watching this O line, and seeing the shortage of O lineman in the league these days, we might have to make sure he's back.

To answer your thread question:

Not very

/thread

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
As of right now? Vitally. He's about the only one who's playing halfways decent somewhat consistently. He's also a known commodity, and God help us if we leave the LT spot open for Cable and JS to fill.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Hell no...

I've been pretty loud about how poor Okung has played over the last year or so, I think he had one good year and then fell off a ton, probably because he has fat toes.

He gets beat so much in 1 on 1's.

He won't be worth what anyone is willing to give him, and so I think he's gone.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Who replaces him if not?

There is a league-wide shortage of competent OL talent. You can either face that reality and pony up or continue relying on Cable to pick projects based on their high school wrestling record and their marital status.

The Jets may have overspent on a couple of our "average" linemen, but that unit is sure playing a heck of lot better than ours is. I really doubt they regret their decisions.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3mr856y8 said:
Who replaces him if not?

There is a league-wide shortage of competent OL talent. You can either face that reality and pony up or continue relying on Cable to pick projects based on their high school wrestling record and their marital status.

The Jets may have overspent on a couple of our "average" linemen, but that unit is sure playing a heck of lot better than ours is.

He's not worth signing to any long term deal over a replacement FA.

Guy is at best an average talent which means he's going to want above average money.

Draft more offensive lineman in the draft, it's not rocket science.

Hawks46

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":s4shni7l said:
Hell no...

I've been pretty loud about how poor Okung has played over the last year or so, I think he had one good year and then fell off a ton, probably because he has fat toes.

I think you're going to be shocked at what another team is willing to pay him. There's a ton of worse LT's in the league.

That said, there are a couple of much better LT's that singed for 7 mil/year last year. We can afford him at that price.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
he average at best, he is good for a false start a game at least as he try to cheat because he is beat on a regular basis .

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawks46":2c6cr5qs said:
NFSeahawks628":2c6cr5qs said:
Hell no...

I think you're going to be shocked at what another team is willing to pay him. There's a ton of worse LT's in the league.

That said, there are a couple of much better LT's that singed for 7 mil/year last year. We can afford him at that price.

Every time I look at him during a game he's getting beat by a defender. Every. Single. Time.

Someone watch the all 22.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
How much would we have to pay Walter Jones to come out of retirement? When compared to Walter, Mr. Okung looks like a high school player!

Rob12

Reaction score
Okung looks to me like nothing more than a mediocre NFL LT. Which, given the state of offensive lines across the league, probably means signing him is pretty important.

Rob12

Reaction score
DavidSeven":9um3yc86 said:
Who replaces him if not?

The Jets may have overspent on a couple of our "average" linemen, but that unit is sure playing a heck of lot better than ours is. I really doubt they regret their decisions.

Exactly.

kearly

Reaction score
Every time I've watched Okung this season, he's looked pretty bad. It's just hard to notice because almost everyone on the line has looked bad too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Next year draft,

Rnd 1 O line
Rnd 2 O line
Rnd 3 O line
Rnd 4 O line
Rnd 5 O line
Rnd 6 O line
Rnd 7 O line

No defensive line projects.
Guys that have experience in Pass Protection.

Guys from Traditional offense's not spread and run and shoot.

Ok that's extreme but we need to adjust our thinking.

razor150

Reaction score
Criticze Okung all you want but he is the best offensive lineman we have. I am sorry, but I am not to keen on letting Cable decide who replaces Okung. So far, outside of Sweazy replacing Moffit (eventually), everybody we have replced we have done so with far inferior talent. The guys we were replacing weren't that good to begin with.

Carrol seems to like to assemble the offensive line of the cheap using the opinion from Cable, who has no eye for talent. This is probably the year it finally bites them in the ass.

Fade

Reaction score
Okung got beat by Darryl Tapp, yeah Darryl freaking Tapp.

The offensive line, and offensive coaching staff needs a total overhaul.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Rob12":3mxav1i9 said:
Okung looks to me like nothing more than a mediocre NFL LT. Which, given the state of offensive lines across the league, probably means signing him is pretty important.

this. Imagine it being worse right now without him. ~shiver~

depends on how much other teams pay him. If he comes pretty cheap than they NEED to sign him. If others over sign than see ya.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I don't even think he looks average. If we let him go next year I don't see us screaming, "why did we let Okung go!?" If he already sucks why do we have to ask who are we gonna replace him with? Maybe we can get a turd that doesn't stink as bad for less money. I guarantee he wants Trent Williams money to boot.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2aswl6w9 said:
Who replaces him if not?

If they can't re-sign Okung, then Gilliam would replace him at LT. Then they would have to figure out what to do at RT again. Most likely, Britt moves back there or Sokoli moves to RT.

Because they finally addressed the OL in the draft, there are some contingency options in place.