Two calls I need help understanding

McGruff

Reaction score
I watched the game on mute cause I was at a movie I didn't want to watch. So I couldn't hear the calls or justification. But there were two calls I didn't understand.

1. What appeared to be a PF helmet to helmet hit on Baldwin that was reversed. It was clearly helmet to helmet. Why was the call reversed?

2. A blqnat face guarding against Willson that went uncalled. What happened there?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
1) Baldwin wasn't down and is still considered a runner. Helmet to helmet is not a penalty on a runner. While I'll agree it looked deliberate, still not a penalty.

2). Face guarding is not a penalty. Contact before the ball gets there is. It was close on that play, but I thought it was a good no call.

Packer_junkie

Reaction score
McGruff":20r38j80 said:
I watched the game on mute cause I was at a movie I didn't want to watch. So I couldn't hear the calls or justification. But there were two calls I didn't understand.

1. What appeared to be a PF helmet to helmet hit on Baldwin that was reversed. It was clearly helmet to helmet. Why was the call reversed?

2. A blqnat face guarding against Willson that went uncalled. What happened there?

What about on Rodgers scramble on 3rd down late in the 3rd quarter when Adams double moved Sherman and he just reached out and literally grabbed him and stopped him, so Rodgers threw it away & we punted?

Packer_junkie

Reaction score
Will do. Good luck vs Chicago.

Wait, I think Bennett just jumped offsides again. Free PLAY!!!!!

aawolf

Reaction score
McGruff":11vszlvn said:

3. The PI call against Sherman when he met the ball and the receiver at the same time. Such a petty call at such an important 3rd down.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Packer_junkie":z21gltja said:

It's funny you have such a little understanding of the rules

justafan

Reaction score
I looked like he led with the crown of his helmet which is still a penalty I thought.

themunn

Reaction score
The call I can't get my head around is the 12 men on the field challenge.
Now don't get me wrong - it's the right result (albeit it's not like it impacted the play in any way), but since when can you challenge non-calls of penalties? Is it only 12 men on the field? Can you challenge that a player was offside but the refs missed it or if a DPI was missed?

253hawk

Reaction score
I thought it was weird that KJ was being looked at for injury right after coming off the field. So...an injured guy has to make if off while the clock is running, no matter what? Should have been an injury timeout, but maybe he tried to stay in and just bailed too late.

The helmet to helmet rule is stupid. Player safety? Oh, but it's okay because he's considered a runner...because that will prevent a concussion...wtf.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Packer_junkie":3ph12s52 said:

I advise you strongly to stop the trolling in the main forums. You have been warned!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The one I didn't get is why we didn't get the additional 15 yards for the dead ball unsportsmanlike penalty when that Packer was pulling one of our guys off the pile. This was on the fumble on the exchange between Marshawn and Russ that was negated because the Packers were offsides. This would have set us up on the Packer 41 in the closing minutes of the 3rd with us holding a 17-16 lead.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":29isa2u6 said:
The one I didn't get is why we didn't get the additional 15 yards for the dead ball unsportsmanlike penalty when that Packer was pulling one of our guys off the pile. This was on the fumble on the exchange between Marshawn and Russ that was negated because the Packers were offsides. This would have set us up on the Packer 41 in the closing minutes of the 3rd with us holding a 17-16 lead.

I agree...I was wondering about that as well. It was a dead ball penalty how does the previous play affect it?

Hawks46

Reaction score
The refs were terrible this game. I'm not blaming our loss on it, but I don't remember the last time I saw 5 flags picked up.

The reversal on that call for helmet to helmet on Baldwin was terrible. This rule has been in the league for 30 years, it's called SPEARING. You can't lead with your helmet and launch yourself at another player at ANY time. That's exactly what that Packer did.

The rules have gotten so convoluted, that now the refs are like "gee, sell he was running and not defenseless" so they're more worried about what the offensive player is doing than the defender. Then, when you have WR's in routes, it's the exact opposite; WRs all over the league get away with pushing off constantly.

When is the last time we've seen a call on that new "Lynch rule" where the RB can't hit someone with the crown of his helmet ? There's tons of RB's in the league that do that.

rcaido

Reaction score
The 12 man in the beginning...The refs seem to have missed the call & Roger was about to setup the next play until they threw the challenge flag. Did not get this at all. Can you throw challenge flags now if they miss the call?

The goaline at the end of the half, the initial call was no TD, yet they decided to still look to see if he got in anyway giving the Packers time stoppage & set up a play. Luckily we only got a FG but can imagine a TD because of that.

The PI call on Cary Williams was pretty bad too.

Not to mention the half of dozen holds in GB o-line.

Packer Fan

Reaction score
themunn":2ivil5j4 said:
The call I can't get my head around is the 12 men on the field challenge.
Now don't get me wrong - it's the right result (albeit it's not like it impacted the play in any way), but since when can you challenge non-calls of penalties? Is it only 12 men on the field? Can you challenge that a player was offside but the refs missed it or if a DPI was missed?

I agree with Hawks46 that the rules have become convulated. I don't know if the NFL still has this in play, but a few years ago, they did state that if a play is reviewed, they not only review what is challenged, but they also review the entire play for infractions. If that is still the case, GB could have challenged anything (challengable) and won the challenge based on 12 men.

It's kind of stupid. But 12 men on the field isn't a judgment call like DPI (which I actually think should be reviewable).

There was a picture with 12 men on the field. What I don't understand is why Carroll had a fit about it. There was a picture with 12 men on the field Pete. Did you think they were going to see that and just say, Oh, that 12th man running off had no impact on the play?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
253hawk":2yrjeolp said:
I thought it was weird that KJ was being looked at for injury right after coming off the field. So...an injured guy has to make if off while the clock is running, no matter what? Should have been an injury timeout, but maybe he tried to stay in and just bailed too late.

The helmet to helmet rule is stupid. Player safety? Oh, but it's okay because he's considered a runner...because that will prevent a concussion...wtf.

I said this in chat. NFL cares so much about player safety but if you are a runner just go ahead and helmet to helmet all day...makes total sense doesnt it :roll:

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
On the 12 man on the field thing

Funny enough I did a search on 12 men on the field reviewable and the second result was packers benefiting against the bears... http://content.usatoday.com/communi.../packers-12-men-field/70000333/1#.VgDAG5dLAmR

12 men x wide community
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...een-Bay-Packers-challenge-12-men-on-the-field
This article puts it in the way I feel about it

It's ticky-tack stuff. Are players running off the field that much of a problem? It's not as if Roach was going to do an about face at the sideline and drop back into zone coverage. Leave minor rule interpretations for golf. Keep the penalty, don't make it reviewable. If the officials can't tell whether a player's foot is touching the sideline or in the air at the time of the snap, it's not a big enough deal to stop the game to find out.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1kfgymb0 said:
253hawk":1kfgymb0 said:

I said this in chat. NFL cares so much about player safety but if you are a runner just go ahead and helmet to helmet all day...makes total sense doesnt it :roll:
That and the fact he wasn't running. He was being hauled down by another defender. He was completely helpless.

If Kam Chancellor makes that hit, flags fly.