Michael Bennett on his decision not to hold out

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
A good man always has a good lady right by his side calling the shots. ;)

Not turning this into a Kam thread but I was so curious if the people close to Kam were trying to influence him one way or the other. I mean, I can imagine that someone important to him encouraged him to return to work but who knows!

Anyway... good choice, Mikey boy!

iigakusei

Reaction score
He definitely has a place on television when his football career is over. Very funny, speaks his mind, extremely knowledgeable about the game. He is such a great interview.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Michael Bennett Comedy Hour Summary:

Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the league (outside of Russell Wilson!). Ability to see the rush and make the pass is special. Rodgers is a tough guy who handles the hits. He talks a lot on the field. What are some of the things he says? "Moaning sounds." Bennett won't have a bicycle ready for this game. Instead, he will have a horse ready.

Eddy Lacy is slightly overweight but good at what he does. Outside of Marshawn Lynch, he is the toughest back to tackle in the NFL. Aaron Rodgers is very careful with the football. Bennett learned from Greg Schiano in Tampa Bay that the ball is holy and should be treated with reverence. That is like how Rodgers' protects the ball.

We made some mistakes last week. We have to teach the young players how to improve the communication. In a marriage, if you don't communicate, good things don't happen. In a game, if you don't communicate, people score TDs and others lose their jobs. We weren't on the same page in that game.

We miss Kam Chancellor's love. When you have a brother who is off in war, you want him to come back. We just want him to come back. When you hold out, you end up having to pay the team out of your pocket after taxes. Bennett's situation is different than Kam's. He has a wife and kids, and his wife wouldn't let him hold out.

Ray Lewis's opinion about never leaving your brothers in battle by holding out comes from a different generation of football. Kam's agent is different and his mindset is different. You can't have hard feelings toward a player who is holding out. They put their bodies on the line every day, and he is just being a business man.

Bennett's decision not to hold out was a hard one that came down to the last minute. In football, you have to be 100% focused on the task at hand. If your mind is elsewhere, you may end up getting hit with a concussion, in which case hopefully you will get some of Russell Wilson's water.

His wish is not to have his contract changed after this year as a reward, his wish is "Black Lives Matter" . . . his wish is to get back to a championship level. The ultimate goal is to get to Santa Clara to play in the Super Bowl. After this year, Bennett doesn't know if he will receive a new contract. But it worked for Forest Gump, so hopefully it will work for Michael Bennett.

Bennett made of point of saying that he disagrees with some of the things Richard Sherman said about "Black Lives Matter." People kill people every day, but that's not what this movement is about. It is about social injustice, and the movement is not limited to just black people. Segregation of communities plays a role in the amount of violence in these communities. Education plays a role. Bennett believes in the movement, which is continuation of the 1950s and 1960s Civil Rights movement. We are all just people at the end of the day.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Michael Bennett is a smart man. I agree with him on all these points ... including "Black Lives Matter".

kidhawk

Reaction score
Let's stay on football here. If you want to talk politics, there's a forum for it. Sherman's thread yesterday got locked for too many political comments. Let's not let that happen to this thread.

P.S. If your post disappeared, consider that your notice that it was too political. Let's stay on point here and keep it to football in here. Thanks

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
JAGHAWK":1iqxmfpc said:
A good man always has a good lady right by his side calling the shots. ;)

Not turning this into a Kam thread but I was so curious if the people close to Kam were trying to influence him one way or the other. I mean, I can imagine that someone important to him encouraged him to return to work but who knows!

Anyway... good choice, Mikey boy!

Okay, somebody on this board needs to track Kam down, marry him, and convince him to get his butt back to Renton. Any volunteers?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's Kam, I'm sure he'd have quite the list of ladies waiting for him. Shoot, half my co-workers would volunteer. :thirishdrinkers:

Hawks46

Reaction score
I wasn't thrilled with Bennett's comments in the offseason, but I respect the man for coming to work and lobbying on the field for more money. This is the correct way to do it: make your displeasure known, then compromise by coming in and working your ass off and producing.

If he keeps this level of play up, and shows no sign of decline, I can't see the Hawks not giving him another contract.

bighawk

Reaction score
I respect Bennett more and more the longer Kam holds out because he could of done the same thing but he has his wife in his ear advising him. Both deserve more money but each went about it differently.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Michael Bennett should be promoted to team spokesman, with a corresponding stipend of course. He has just the right mix of intelligence, humour, flippancy and sincerity in his answers. I can't wait for the next pre or post-game interview.

irocdave

Reaction score
It was really nice to hear a hawk player speak from the heart. No clichés, no filter except for his own, no agent inspired speak. Just an intelligent, articulate guys take on the world he lives in. RW could take some lessons from MB. But I could see this getting ugly next year if MB has the year he looks likes he's about to have. The hawks nor PA could quite him down, he is paying his dues again and if he holds out after a big year this year he will be looking for a trade also so he gets the max payout for his play.

And you cant blame him, he is playing a NFL playmaker so far this year, a step above all the other difference makers.

The NFL is a tough business, I cant fault any player for holding out. Even Kam, until week 10.. Then it becomes just a pissing match.

Sealake80

Reaction score
So your saying if our players are out there making political comments we can't discus that here Kidhawk? Too bad.

Thank god Bennett didn't hold out this long too. Imagine that.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Sealake80":3jsn4jdo said:
So your saying if our players are out there making political comments we can't discus that here Kidhawk? Too bad.

Political commentary gets "out of hand" very quickly. It would destroy this message board.

Reaction score
I like Michael Bennett the football player! His wise cracks not so much I do appreciate him going to work though. I think hes a loud mouth but that is just my opinion,. Will stay on topic my bad!