Petition to save Bevell an uneducated Cardinals fans POV

ringless

Reaction score
Has Bevell made a mistake? Sure he has. We all have, including myself back in 94. Bevell has also been part of a team that has gone to back to back Super Bowls.

The Seahawks play a ball control style of football, and Bevell's style goes hand in hand with the Defense. I can't tell you how many games I've watched where it's a close game the first two or three quarters before the Dam breaks open for your Seahawks resulting in a 4th quarter of complete domination.

The Defense is stifling. The offense does a ton of damage in it's wear and tear style. Battering teams with Lynch, Wilsons ability to scramble. It allows your team to control the clock and the temp of the game and it compliments the style of defense well.

Lets look at some stats and then go into detail.
In 2014 Seattle had the 9th most yards on offense, and the 10th most PPG. To go with the #1 Defense.
In 2013 Seattle again had a top 10 scoring offense coming in at #9. To go along with the #1 Defense.

Lets look at a couple of other factors. A lot of the complaints are the uncomplicated route trees and that it's a high school offense. Why is that, and in comparison to whom?

Its no secret that Seattle's offensive line is offensive. There is not a lot invested at the position to say the least. I also believe thats compounded by Wilson who leaves the pocket. It's much easier to form a pocket around someone who drops back into one and can see over the line as opposed to one who leaves the pocket. Its not like the OL have eyes behind their heads. Its really a two part problem. Low investments and an unconventional QB style.

The poor offensive line, and Wilsons play style don't allow complicated route trees to develop. Look no further than the Cardinals offense. Bruce Arians route trees are extremely complicated. They are slow developing plays that rely on a lot of factors which is why some of the QB's have gotten killed at the same time. It's a vertical aggressive offense. One that Seattle can not implement because of lack of OL depth, and if you can be honest with yourselves the WR corp isn't the scariest in the league by any means. (I know you are thinking Lockett for the vertical threat but that is yet to be seen in real games)

Bevell's style allows you to control the game and the ball. Long sustained drives, with punishing results to the opposition. Sure it appears frustrating for 2-3 quarters. But 95% of the time when that 4th quarter rolls around the other team is gassed on defense, and having to go one dimensional on offense.

There will always be frustrating play calls. But you guys act as if he is the worst thing ever. You wont find a fanbase that doesnt share your frustrations even with their great coordinators from time to time. But you can't argue with the results.

But thats just the thought from a basement teams fan

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Logic and sense have no place here. This is a place for knee jerk reacting, senseless freak outs and rage induced nonsense.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The only real problem i have with Bevell is that watching our passing game our route concepts seem so simple, basic and boring compared to the other teams in the NFL. Sure I don't agree with all of his play calls, but that could probably be said with every coordinator in the NFL. I don't hate Bevell, but I do think we could do better.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3v65g1tr said:
I do think we could do better.

Who do you suggest, and where do we get "better" from?

I actually think Bevell works fairly closely with Pete to create the game-plan within an overall Offense/Defense system. A new OC wouldn't necessarily change much, and we'd still be unhappy.

Thanks, Ringless, for the post. I agree with you. But you'd better duck... missiles incoming!

ivotuk

Reaction score
ringless":uajllb0i said:
Has Bevell made a mistake? Sure he has. We all have, including myself back in 94. Bevell has also been part of a team that has gone to back to back Super Bowls.

The Seahawks play a ball control style of football, and Bevell's style goes hand in hand with the Defense. I can't tell you how many games I've watched where it's a close game the first two or three quarters before the Dam breaks open for your Seahawks resulting in a 4th quarter of complete domination.

The Defense is stifling. The offense does a ton of damage in it's wear and tear style. Battering teams with Lynch, Wilsons ability to scramble. It allows your team to control the clock and the temp of the game and it compliments the style of defense well.

In 2014 Seattle had the 9th most yards on offense, and the 10th most PPG. To go with the #1 Defense.
In 2013 Seattle again had a top 10 scoring offense coming in at #9. To go along with the #1 Defense.

Lets look at a couple of other factors. A lot of the complaints are the uncomplicated route trees and that it's a high school offense. Why is that, and in comparison to whom?

Its no secret that Seattle's offensive line is offensive. There is not a lot invested at the position to say the least. I also believe thats compounded by Wilson who leaves the pocket. It's much easier to form a pocket around someone who drops back into one and can see over the line as opposed to one who leaves the pocket. Its not like the OL have eyes behind their heads. Its really a two part problem. Low investments and an unconventional QB style.

The poor offensive line, and Wilsons play style don't allow complicated route trees to develop. Look no further than the Cardinals offense. Bruce Arians route trees are extremely complicated. They are slow developing plays that rely on a lot of factors which is why some of the QB's have gotten killed at the same time. It's a vertical aggressive offense. One that Seattle can not implement because of lack of OL depth, and if you can be honest with yourselves the WR corp isn't the scariest in the league by any means. (I know you are thinking Lockett for the vertical threat but that is yet to be seen in real games)

Bevell's style allows you to control the game and the ball. Long sustained drives, with punishing results to the opposition. Sure it appears frustrating for 2-3 quarters. But 95% of the time when that 4th quarter rolls around the other team is gassed on defense, and having to go one dimensional on offense.

There will always be frustrating play calls. But you guys act as if he is the worst thing ever. You wont find a fanbase that doesnt share your frustrations even with their great coordinators from time to time. But you can't argue with the results.

Bravo! Bravo! I kind of like you ringless.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Some play action roll outs thrown in more more Often would play to our reception very strengths

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1spms594 said:
The only real problem i have with Bevell is that watching our passing game our route concepts seem so simple, basic and boring compared to the other teams in the NFL. Sure I don't agree with all of his play calls, but that could probably be said with every coordinator in the NFL. I don't hate Bevell, but I do think we could do better.

Well if you listen to Pete talk about our offense, it's the opposite of what you just said here.

Pete and others have said our one back base formation has literally dozens of route concepts and options for Russell to run at the line of scrimmage once he checks the defense..........and that's just from that one formation.

I think some of you are confusing poor execution and horrific pass protection issues with it being bad playcalling. You can call the most amazing complex play in the history of the league, but if 3/5th's of our O-line gets ran over like a Mack Truck and our WR's get bitch slapped at the line of scrimmage...........then it looks bad to the eye of a fan.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2rqmhb17 said:
JSeahawks":2rqmhb17 said:

!

Personally I would look towards the college ranks. I think overall they're more creative and innovative then NFL coordinators.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Red zone ha been issue for the last several years and was yet again this past week. That's on Bevell and to a much lesser extent, Russ. The Hawks have gotten away with it the last several seasons because of that "stifling": defense. Got a feeling that won't be the case this year. I believe Bevell is going to have to step up his play design and play calling to get our team TDs instead of FGs for them to repeat as NFC West champs, let alone NFC champs or Owl champs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2ok3b2u4 said:
JSeahawks":2ok3b2u4 said:

I actually think Bevell works fairly closely with Pete to create the game-plan within an overall Offense/Defense system. A new OC wouldn't necessarily change much, and we'd still be unhappy.

Thanks, Ringless, for the post. I agree with you. But you'd better duck... missiles incoming!
The guy on the offramp begging for quarters could do a better job than "Clown shoes" Bevell.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Great write-up ringless. That's how I feel about Bevell too. People knock him because the Offense isn't as flashy as some of the others out there. They aren't going to break any records or go down as one of the best Offenses of all time. But Bevell's Offense gets the job done and is built to wear down Defenses.

It could be much worse, and lots of Seahawks fans overlook that.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Of course the Cards fan wants to keep Bevell in Seattle.

valentinepoint.gif

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":25buxobz said:
Red zone ha been issue for the last several years and was yet again this past week. That's on Bevell and to a much lesser extent, Russ. The Hawks have gotten away with it the last several seasons because of that "stifling": defense. Got a feeling that won't be the case this year. I believe Bevell is going to have to step up his play design and play calling to get our team TDs instead of FGs for them to repeat as NFC West champs, let alone NFC champs or Owl champs.

I always figured it was on the players on the field to execute.

So what exactly are the amazing TD producing plays Bevell isn't calling that would result in more positive results in the red zone?

seahawks08

Reaction score
Pete is not an offensive minded coach, and he does provide his opinions and has control over the overall game plan. However, he is also open to listening and incorporating change, he is not afraid of it and he would definitely be open to creativeness. While philosophy of ground and pound is great, we also have paid RW handsomely and put Graham in place. If it was just for blocking, I don't think they would have traded for Graham. I know Bevell can do better and I am sure he can work towards influencing Pete if he wanted to. That's what good coaches do, you own the offense and you prove that it works, and Pete would definitely be hands off. The organization had invested decently on the offense, from Percy to Graham, to Tyler Locket and so on.

I really want the offense of RW and Bevell to be in top form in the 4th year in the making. I haven't seen that in the first game, and our red zone offense need to be potent.

QB Receiver trust
Physicality
Scheming
Oline gelling

and so on.

JonRud

Reaction score
The most important thing Pete cares about is don't turn the ball over. Minimize risk, keep the ball and punt if necessary and play defense. The Hawks are never going to be the Colts and throw 50 crazy balls downfield 4 of which might get picked off.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lxubyxw said:
hawksfansinceday1":3lxubyxw said:

I always figured it was on the players on the field to execute.

So what exactly are the amazing TD producing plays Bevell isn't calling that would result in more positive results in the red zone?
How about rolling Russ out with a pocket (not naked boot) once in a while while dragging the TE over the middle? Almost never see that and with his running ability it puts a huge amount of pressure on LBs. Is he Hawks' o-line not good enough to do so? Screens can work in the red zone too as we've seen with leaking Marshawn out. How about fades to Graham and Mathews and not a shorter guy like Kearse. How about corner posts to taller WRs like mathes and Graham and not just fades?

As for Russ getting better in the red zone.....don't throw it 2 feet over a 6'7" guy's head and work on your fades so you throw them like you did with Tate.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2trxlb2l said:
JSeahawks":2trxlb2l said:

I have made this same argument before. I'm glad others have brought it up, but it won't stick. :thirishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
Complicated? pick plays and roll out pockets with slants don't take any more time, in fact they may be faster since you can hit a guy on the break and not wait for him. We don't do that much or at all some games. We have crap for YAC because many times our guys are waiting for the ball unless they do a spin move and actually break the tackle.

kf3339

Reaction score
ringless":2l9jt92o said:

PC showed at SC that he will run a creative and explosive offense when he has the players and coaches in place. If I have any fault at all it's that for some reason he thinks Bevel is that guy. It's his call, but our offense looks junior league compared to almost every other team in the NFL. You can't look at our game plan and the in-game decisions and look at it any other way.

Bevell is not the worst OC out there, but I have to believe that there are a great deal of offensive minded coaches that would love to bring their skills to this team. But we all know that isn't going to happen until another team takes Bevell, or PC finally sees the issue for himself and makes a change.

Latest posts