So I read this FG article about the passing game yesterday

Laloosh

Reaction score
... and one of the points of emphasis was on how the changes to the rules that are allowing receivers more freedom in their release and particularly with what's allowed after 5 yards, teams are now starting to go back to the smaller, shiftier guys.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/2/924861 ... ting-ducks

The NFL tends to evolve in cycles of action and reaction. Due to the combination of these new rules emphases, and a trend toward bigger cornerbacks on the outside, there's been a reactionary swing that's seen smaller receivers achieve more success.

Since his time in the NFL (1997-2001), Anthony tells me that the NFL has changed tremendously.

"For the smaller guys like myself that were known for speed and not all the strength and big-body wise," he said, "the ability to get a free release, it makes it a lot easier. Because now, after 5 yards, they really can't even put a hand on you.

Is this why we keep drafting small guys and trying to find bigger guys in later rounds or UDFA? Or is it just a lack of options when we draft?

Also, do we even have the passing game to utilize these guys properly? I get that they do well when plays break down and they need to get open during a scramble but someone please explain to me why everyone describes our route concepts as being really simple? What do other teams do in that regard, that we do not (serious question)?

Basis4day

Reaction score
My understanding of the trend towards bigger corners was started by the Seahawks, specifically following SB48. So, i don't think that really has anything to do with the WRers we draft as the cycle towards large corners is new.

As far as who we draft it is lack of options. The highest we've picked a WR was 2nd Rd (Richardson/Tate). Lockett wasn't drafted until the 3rd Round. So i don't really understand the opinion that we "keep" drafting smaller guys. And with any draft pick, you need to look at who is currently available when it's your turn.

The Julio Jones/AJ Green/Calvin Johnson types are rare and don't last until after 10 picks unless there are serious red flags.
Kelvin Benjamin was drafted before we had a shot at him (And wasn't the same kind of burner and had a reputation for drops). Dorial Green Beckham had red flags and was picked by the Titans. We moved up and drafted Lockett when Jaelen Strong was still available.

We clearly want big receivers as Mike Williams, Sidney Rice, and Jimmy Graham have shown. We're just not in position to draft the big body freaks.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I can recall being upset when the team drafted Lockett but subsequent play has demonstrated he was worth the pick. There are still some advantages BIG WRs have but the new emphasis on no contact has erased many of them. However jump ball situations do favour the bigger guys.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Laloosh":1q8m245x said:
... and one of the points of emphasis was on how the changes to the rules that are allowing receivers more freedom in their release and particularly with what's allowed after 5 yards, teams are now starting to go back to the smaller, shiftier guys.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/2/924861 ... ting-ducks

The NFL tends to evolve in cycles of action and reaction. Due to the combination of these new rules emphases, and a trend toward bigger cornerbacks on the outside, there's been a reactionary swing that's seen smaller receivers achieve more success.

Since his time in the NFL (1997-2001), Anthony tells me that the NFL has changed tremendously.

"For the smaller guys like myself that were known for speed and not all the strength and big-body wise," he said, "the ability to get a free release, it makes it a lot easier. Because now, after 5 yards, they really can't even put a hand on you.

Is this why we keep drafting small guys and trying to find bigger guys in later rounds or UDFA? Or is it just a lack of options when we draft?

Also, do we even have the passing game to utilize these guys properly? I get that they do well when plays break down and they need to get open during a scramble but someone please explain to me why everyone describes our route concepts as being really simple? What do other teams do in that regard, that we do not (serious question)?

The issue is our guys as a whole cannot win one on one match ups. SO then it is the routes that need to be created to help them. If you look at our route trees they are very basic and in a lot of cases very very easy to figure out. I watch all the games with several friends and we know what is coming from a pass play perspective on a lot of them before the play even starts. Now there are some reason for this, personal being one, OL being one, the OC being one, and PCs desire to have a low turnover offense than gets a lead going in to the 4th qtr and turns it over to the defense to hold it. This low TOs style also make using the whole filed an issue as throwing over the middle has a higher risk then throwing to the sidelines. That said if we just moved out route trees from high school to co9llee they would be more effective.

Other teams do a lot of things like motion, double moves, rub plays, pick plays. While we on occasion do them it is far and few between and as you saw in the last SB our players are not good at them. We have no real #1 wr and have not for some time. We are really not built to have a great passing offense. Hence why we are so bad at pass blocking. SO until the team decides they might need to pay more attention to the pass game we will be like we are and rely on Lynch and Wilson to make things happen.

iigakusei

Reaction score
A lot of times our guys do win one on one matchups and are open - but Wilson either doesn't see them or chooses not to throw the ball.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Mods, please do not let this turn into a Wilson thread. Seriously, if it does just delete it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
iigakusei":2hwoe29a said:
A lot of times our guys do win one on one matchups and are open - but Wilson either doesn't see them or chooses not to throw the ball.

yeah ahh no, they are not a lot of times were they win one on one and are open when Wilson is looking at them on their turn in his progression, or are open given the down and distance of the play. Sorry Millan and Huard both went in great details several months ago explain that. All 2 doe snot mean much when you cannot see it from the QBs perspective, or know the down and distance the progressions, or play call. IF you said sometimes I might agree as all QBs miss sometimes, but not a lot.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Maybe his definition of "a lot of times" is the same as your definition of "sometimes".

iigakusei

Reaction score
I think ideally you still want to have a mix of receiver types. But I agree that with the new rules it makes sense for a natural progression to quicker, shiftier WR's. I think for us I can't see a WR like Edelman having much success in our offense as we don't really throw short timing routes in the middle of the field. Is that by design or because of personnel I am not sure.

Anthony!

Reaction score
iigakusei":cpzv8ogp said:
I think ideally you still want to have a mix of receiver types. But I agree that with the new rules it makes sense for a natural progression to quicker, shiftier WR's. I think for us I can't see a WR like Edelman having much success in our offense as we don't really throw short timing routes in the middle of the field. Is that by design or because of personnel I am not sure.

As I said more by desgn the middle of the field is the most dangerous, look at what happened in the NFCCG I mean at least 2 of this ints were right off Kearses hands, if on the sidelines there is a much better chance they are not Int.

kearly

Reaction score
For years it was thought that lightweight/undersized WRs couldn't translate to the NFL. Now you've got guys like TY Hilton and Antonio Brown dominating the league, and guys like John Brown, Brandin Cooks, and (hopefully) Tyler Lockett following suit. I think this article helps explain why. The current evolution of the NFL makes it tougher to press receivers, and super fast receivers can exploit Seattle's trendy cover 3.

As said by others, this trend might also inform us as to why Seattle keeps drafting lightweight WRs.