What would the Hawks sound like on Hardknocks?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Was watching the 2nd episode with the Texans and there was much bluster and belittling by coaches. For those that have gone to the Hawks training camp do they do talk the same way? Is that just football? For some reason I don't think Carroll operates that way.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
No one? Maybe I didn't phrase it right. I just can't imagine Carroll screaming at his players, "You SOB's better pull your heads out of your (*) or we're gonna get our (*)es handed to us!"

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I was writing a little about this on the NFL Forum. O'Brien's tenure in Houston is revealing a culture of humiliation toward players who are still learning. It's a very old school approach that I doubt will be very successful in the long run.

Carroll and his coaches will chew out players to send a direct message for doing something egregious, but they are not actively looking to embarrass anyone. I call Carroll's approach the culture of opportunity, idealism, or optimism.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawknation2015":48swlsdk said:
I was writing a little about this on the NFL Forum. O'Brien's tenure in Houston is revealing a culture of humiliation toward players who are still learning. It's a very old school approach that I doubt will be very successful in the long run.

Carroll and his coaches will chew out players to send a direct message for doing something egregious, but they are not actively looking to embarrass anyone. I call Carroll's approach the culture of opportunity, idealism, or optimism.

There are a number of ways to get to an end goal....

Do you know where O'Brien came from?

titan3131

Reaction score
theres a hard knocks peice on the hawks right now on field gulls. its a good read.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":7t3csjs8 said:
hawknation2015":7t3csjs8 said:

I liked O'Brien before I had this firsthand glimpse into his coaching style. I don't have a problem with coaches being firm or stern, a la Belichick or Harbaugh. O'Brien's tactics went well beyond that into more of a fraternity culture where he is actively seeking young players to embarrass. But we will see . . . maybe he will strike fear into them and build them back up, a la Lombardi. They just didn't show any edifying or building of confidence in these episodes.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Every coach has their own methodology. Some are more effective than others. Carroll is well known as a "Player's Coach" but so are other coaches that never touched the level of success Carroll has. It's his genuine commitment to care for each player, eternal energy, to always compete and his optimism that has been infectious and key to our success.

They have all bought in from Paul Allen on down to the janitors.

He'll bark when he needs to but these coaches are not trying to cut the player down to build them up. That's just not the philosophy here. I imagine Hard Knocks would reflect that paradigm-shift accordingly if we were ever to be on the show (which it sounds like we won't under the PC Era).

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2psa70ro said:
ImTheScientist":2psa70ro said:
hawknation2015":2psa70ro said:

I liked O'Brien before I had this firsthand glimpse into his coaching style. I don't have a problem with coaches being firm or stern, a la Belichick or Harbaugh. O'Brien's tactics went well beyond that into more of a fraternity culture where he is actively seeking young players to embarrass. But we will see . . . maybe he will strike fear into them and build them back up, a la Lombardi. They just didn't show any edifying or building of confidence in these episodes.

O'Brien seemed fine. It was Vrabel who was being a real SOB

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
The part about Spicoli was pretty good. Thanks.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
LOL! Now that was funny! I totally had The Office-type camera angles/splices and facial expressions going on while reading that. Well done.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
jblaze":1tvhu2nz said:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/kenneth-arthur/2015/8/20/9180331/seahawks-hard-knocks-russell-wilson-pete-carroll

Funny stuff!
Lynch said it all at the end.....or didn't it seems. Beautiful.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Riotously funny, at least the first third.
I'm looking forward to seeing CJ Archer compete some more this week.
Hope Sock-holey has a big game too, darn it all to heck.