Is Sweezy really that good?

seabowl

Reaction score
I recall during the telecast of the first preseason game that one of the announcers said something to the effect that He believed or Cable believed that Sweezy was the best guard in the game. Now I know he's come a long way from his rookie year but best in the league? I'm not claiming to know all the other guards in the league or even claim to know how well Sweezy has played on each down but when I think of the words best guard, I compare it to a former Hawk in Hutchinson which was fairly easy to see how dominant he was. Not sure if it's just me but I don't see anything even close to the best guard in the league for Sweezy.

Can someone chime in on if I'm way off or on target?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
seabowl":li23h67j said:
I recall during the telecast of the first preseason game that one of the announcers said something to the effect that He believed or Cable believed that Sweezy was the best guard in the game. Now I know he's come a long way from his rookie year but best in the league? I'm not claiming to know all the other guards in the league or even claim to know how well Sweezy has played on each down but when I think of the words best guard, I compare it to a former Hawk in Hutchinson which was fairly easy to see how dominant he was. Not sure if it's just me but I don't see anything even close to the best guard in the league for Sweezy.

Can someone chime in on if I'm way off or on target?

He's a crazy freak at run blocking in our ZBS...I would put him near the top in that category, because the damage he does at the second level is something most Guards in this league would have a hard time accomplishing from a physical/athletic standpoint.

OTOH, I wouldn't say his pass pro is anything to wright home about... consistently average with those stubby arms.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I love Sweezy. His seek and destroy attitude his best quality. When Lynch breaks off a long run, Sweezy is likely to be way down the field hitting somebody.

But when he messes up he leaves no doubt about being beaten.

kearly

Reaction score
I like Sweezy but am not sure how to evaluate him as he can be such a mixed bag. I like him but any opinion I'd have of Sweezy at this point would be a cautious one.

The fact that Cable not only has a strong opinion of Sweezy but that it is an extremely positive one really tells you a lot more about Tom Cable's values than JR Sweezy's capabilities.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Great upside and great achievement in such a short time, but Highly over rated, let alone a the "best" guard.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":lso77xzo said:
I like Sweezy but am not sure how to evaluate him as he can be such a mixed bag. I like him but any opinion I'd have of Sweezy at this point would be a cautious one.

The fact that Cable not only has a strong opinion of Sweezy but that it is an extremely positive one really tells you a lot more about Tom Cable's values than JR Sweezy's capabilities.

Couldn't agree more.

The eyeball test tells me he's a very good run blocker, and a poor pass blocker. He fits our system very well, but I wouldn't call him one of the best in the game, as I think if he went to a power blocking scheme he'd still get beat going up against good DT"s one on one.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Scottemojo":14fcninz said:
I love Sweezy. His seek and destroy attitude his best quality. When Lynch breaks off a long run, Sweezy is likely to be way down the field hitting somebody.

But when he messes up he leaves no doubt about being beaten.

Exactly.

To my eye, his run blocking is consistently above average, and at times more impressive from a "devastation" standpoint, but whiffs esp. in protection have been obvious.

Like his attitude, too. Remember when he nailed Clay Matthews last year when he was covering RW? Got him right in the ribs. Took a penalty, but Matthews did not do anything the rest of the game and had to sit out a significant portion of the plays.

SeaJax

Reaction score
The retaliation hit he put on Mathews in the NFCCC was a thing of legend. I swear that Clay was limping afterwards when he's celebrating with his teammates. J.R. Is a big reason why GB's defense couldn't stop anybody at the end of the game.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SeaJax":1hm3tdm7 said:
The retaliation hit he put on Mathews in the NFCCC was a thing of legend. I swear that Clay was limping afterwards when he's celebrating with his teammates. J.R. Is a big reason why GB's defense couldn't stop anybody at the end of the game.

HandyPracticalAustraliancattledog.gif

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
He's good at times but inconsistent in fact the whole damn line is like that . There isn't a single pro bowl caliber O-lineman on the roster right now with the possible exception of O'Kung and he was inconsistent at times last year as well because his injury problems.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2vzww89z said:
He's good at times but inconsistent in fact the whole damn line is like that . There isn't a single pro bowl caliber O-lineman on the roster right now with the possible exception of O'Kung and he was inconsistent at times last year as well because his injury problems.

Who is this O'Kung guy you speak of? Does Russell Okung have an Irish brother I don't know about?

jblaze

Reaction score
With Britt moving to LG, looks like we'll be drafting two tackles early next year...

Jville

Reaction score
I am looking forward to watching the blocking combination of JR Sweezy and Gary Gilliam tomorrow night. I can see how they could be a really good dance couple.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1rmf6wk1 said:
SeaJax":1rmf6wk1 said:

HandyPracticalAustraliancattledog.gif

Thanks for posting. How Sweet it is!

mikeak

Reaction score
The hit on Matthews is perfect. Normally you expect your qb to get hit again but he hits Matthews off RW - probably some luck but it came out PERFECT

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Love that GIF.
Try to hurt the QB, instant Karma you bleeping bleep of a bleep bleep bleep.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":1q05hf30 said:

This is spot-on.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I missed the significance of the Sweezy hit on Matthews at the time, but WOW, what an awesome play by Sweezy!
Matthews thought he'd lay on Wilson and maybe separate RW's shoulder or break his collarbone, and the hunter becomes the hunted...

What was masterful about Sweezy's play is that then he didn't fall on Wilson. He picked Matthews off without really even touching Wilson.