POLL: Who will win the competition at center?

Who will win the competition at center?

• Lemuel Jeanpierre

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Drew Nowak

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Patrick Lewis

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Someone else

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

hawknation2015

Reaction score
--My own biased analysis--

I like Jeanpierre's athleticism and experience. He was alright in the first preseason game, although that false start penalty for flinching on the three-yard line was a killer that probably cost us a TD. He has never been a good run blocker, and was a negative again in creating space, but his blocking improved once Milton entered the game at LG.

The false start penalty was the kind of thing I thought might happen to the inexperienced guy, Drew Nowak. But it didn't, not at all. The exchanges under center were clean. There were no bobbled exchanges from the left hander. His shotgun snaps looked a little low at times but overall were fine. There was the aborted play, where Nowak snapped the ball to catch Shane Ray offsides, and the ball sailed passed Jackson, who was not ready for it. That was actually a heads up play by Nowak that earned back some yards.

The difference in violence and physicality between the two players was evident. Nowak was popping guys in the mouth, knocking them back, and getting to the second level. Some have questioned his pad level, but I didn't see that as too much of a concern. He was perfect in pass pro and had several nice blocks in the run game. Good athlete and violent; that's a good combo in a center. Nice find by Schneider and great development by Cable. I hope he earns the start on Friday.

Lewis deserves to be in this competition. He was a competent starter last year in place of Unger. Although he lacks quickness, his run blocking is superior to Jeanpierre's. He also did not have any false starts or bobbled exchanges. If anything, he probably should be given an opportunity to compete for a backup guard spot. It seems unlikely that we would carry three centers on the 53-man roster.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Chawker":3h46pfcd said:
My vote went to P. Lewis :snack:

I thought he looked pretty good in that 4th Quarter, certainly an improvement in run blocking over Jeanpierre.

Now, he was going against mostly 3rd string guys, but at least he showed something.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nowak for me. I saw him get some good blocks then smoothly get to the next guy with another good block. Hands down it's Nowak for me.