Tom Cable

northseahawk

Reaction score
Yet another horrible game from the oline and after the last few years of horrible play, is it time to criticize Cable as we do to Bevell??

I don't understand what these guys do in practice? Don't they practice against out dlineman? Shouldn't practicing against the fastest dline in the nfl actually help them in the pass rushing category?

what clearly seems like the worst pass-pro oline in the NFL, surely has to have a relation to the coaching and talent sensing deficiencies of Tom Cable.

Week after week, year after year, he puts the damn pathetic product on the field.

OP
OP
N

northseahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2ej0zqvd said:
You trade away his best linemen and the line struggles in its first preseason game?

The criticism is not warranted, IMO.

so we should forget the past 3 years of his oline aswell ?

Sac

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1zmvtni8 said:
You trade away his best linemen and the line struggles in its first preseason game?

Trading away Unger did hurt the O-Line, but Cable isn't without blame. Even when we did have Unger the O-line has consistently been one of the worst in the NFL. They're barely adequate run blockers, and they downright suck in pass pro.

That's on Cable.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":krlkaa6b said:
hawknation2015":krlkaa6b said:

Trading away Unger did hurt the O-Line, but Cable isn't without blame. Even when we did have Unger the O-line has consistently been one of the worst in the NFL. They're barely adequate run blockers, and they downright suck in pass pro.

That's on Cable.

Unger and Okung were both hurt a lot. The only offensive linemen we drafted from 2012-2014 were in the 7th Round. In a way, we are paying for that the most right now.

Tom Cable's running scheme has allowed us to save money and draft capital. It has also given us one of the best running games in NFL history.

Anthony!

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: Guys don't you know i8ts not Cable fault or the oline. Its all Wilsons fault. :sarcasm_off: yeah the line is bad and Cable doe shave to take some of the blame.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I will never talk bad about Cable behind his back.

He might find out and break my face.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I would caution people to be patient. The trajectory I see happening from Nowak and Milton is positive. I will have a complete writeup on that later today.

grizbob

Reaction score
Anthony!":3lz4okd6 said:
:sarcasm_on: Guys don't you know i8ts not Cable fault or the oline. Its all Wilsons fault. :sarcasm_off: yeah the line is bad and Cable doe shave to take some of the blame.

doe snot!!! :lol:

Sac

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":13gao64k said:
Do you feel that this poor performance is due to individual poor blocking technique?

I don't know enough about blocking technique to speak intelligently about this. But it was pretty clear to me, from a layman's point of view, that our guys have been straight up whiffing in pass-pro.

hawknation2015":13gao64k said:
Tom Cable's running scheme has allowed us to save money and draft capital. It has also given us one of the best running games in NFL history.

The best in history? C'mon.

Marshawn leads the NFL in yards after contact, and is one of the last in yards gained before contact. That's bad blocking. The only reason our rush is great is because of Marshawn, and the threat of Russ keeping the ball on play fakes.

I think a lot of our O-line issues stem from hubris. A certain level of overconfidence that the FO and coaching staff can find late round "talent" and develop them into viable starters.

There's only so much you can polish a turd.

If you really want to see good run blocking, take a peek at the Cowgirls.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":n7phb8mq said:
Bigpumpkin":n7phb8mq said:
Do you feel that this poor performance is due to individual poor blocking technique?

I don't know enough about blocking technique to speak intelligently about this. But it was pretty clear to me, from a layman's point of view, that our guys have been straight up whiffing in pass-pro.

hawknation2015":n7phb8mq said:

Marshawn leads the NFL in yards after contact, and is one of the last in yards gained before contact. That's bad blocking. The only reason our rush is great is because of Marshawn, and the threat of Russ keeping the ball on play fakes.

I think a lot of our O-line issues stem from hubris. A certain level of overconfidence that the FO and coaching staff can find late round "talent" and develop them into viable starters.

What if they polish it into three consecutive Super Bowls?

Sac

Reaction score
hawknation2015":39rxluta said:
SacHawk2.0":39rxluta said:
Bigpumpkin":39rxluta said:

hawknation2015":39rxluta said:

That's not the O-Line. The O-Line is clearly the weak link on this team, and the primary reason that Russ has to run so much.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":6zktckbb said:
hawknation2015":6zktckbb said:
SacHawk2.0":6zktckbb said:
Bigpumpkin":6zktckbb said:

hawknation2015":6zktckbb said:

That's not the O-Line. The O-Line is clearly the weak link on this team, and the primary reason that Russ has to run so much.

It is also the reason they had the money available to pay Russell the 2nd highest APY in the league, to pay both Graham and Marshawn, and to pay numerous defensive players among the Top 3 at their positions.

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
Last night was game one of the pre-season for a new unit of guys playing O line so we should not get too worried. But.......the Seahawks were very lucky Russell Wilson did not get hurt last evening because our O line kept collapsing on every play. This season he has to remain a running and throwing QB if his line is going to be this weak during the 16 game regular season. Also, last night the quick way the Broncos defense came off the ball at the snap was unreal for preseason and the sluggish Seahawks did not look good trying to respond to them. Defense looked good and special teams too. :)

Tom Cable can only mold these players into better O linemen based on the player's talent. If the line improves in the next 4 to 6 weeks when I guess the GM and Head coach have drafted well recently. According to ESPN Seattle radio, the Hawks are trying to convert 5 D linemen into O line players.

There is time to correct last night's errors before Game 1 verses the Rams.

Chawker

Reaction score
northseahawk":lzu3fk00 said:
Yet another horrible game from the oline and after the last few years of horrible play, is it time to criticize Cable as we do to Bevell??

I don't understand what these guys do in practice? Don't they practice against out dlineman? Shouldn't practicing against the fastest dline in the nfl actually help them in the pass rushing category?

what clearly seems like the worst pass-pro oline in the NFL, surely has to have a relation to the coaching and talent sensing deficiencies of Tom Cable.

Week after week, year after year, he puts the damn pathetic product on the field.

Yup.....back to back superbowls. Lets fire him! LOL

marko358

Reaction score
Chawker":3c4m7s9v said:

Using that logic, we should have kept Walters and avoided drafting Lockett since Walters got us to the Super Bowl last year!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
marko358":20ap2i6j said:
Chawker":20ap2i6j said:

Using that logic, we should have kept Walters and avoided drafting Lockett since Walters got us to the Super Bowl last year!

LOL, I am going to say Tom Cable's offensive scheme played a bigger role in getting us to the Super Bowl in two consecutive years than Walters.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Without Lynch's running, the OL would be below average in run blocking and pass blocking. Lynch covers the OL flaws in the run game more than people realize. He didn't play yesterday and the blocking was poor. As were the results. Cable's coaching hasn't improved anyone besides Sweezy. Sweezy is average, IMO. He gets hyped on this site because average looks pretty good on a weak OL. Cable shouldn't be excused for the poor results by OL.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Tom Cable is a damn fine line coach. That's how he got his shot at head coach with the stupid Raiders. But here, he's got no horses... It's like giving the best golfer in the world a 7-iron as his only club at the Masters... You can only do so much with what ya got. And I think Tom has done as good a job as possible with the limited tools he's been given. I do admit though, I'm pretty sure they've cut back a notch or two from what is required to keep Russ safe and give Marshawn lanes to run through... And it was thin to begin with... Color me concerned. What good is Graham if Russ can't survive long enough to get him the ball... :?

Latest posts