Have you seen a better defensive play than this?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Not only saves a touchdown by a matter of inches, but also results in a turnover because it goes through the end zone for a touchback. Seattle is inches away from conceding a score and ends up with the ball on their own 20. If he was a second late to this play he doesn't save it. If he's a second early he probably doesn't get the chance to swipe the ball.

I'm struggling to think of a better play.

[youtube]wQLFqQjyWms[/youtube]

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2rg1lib3 said:
Not only saves a touchdown by a matter of inches, but also results in a turnover because it goes through the end zone for a touchback. Seattle is inches away from conceding a score and ends up with the ball on their own 20. If he was a second late to this play he doesn't save it. If he's a second early he probably doesn't get the chance to swipe the ball.

I'm struggling to think of a better play.

[youtube]wQLFqQjyWms[/youtube]

The amazing bit is Thomas' reaction to tap the ball out of the way for a TB having already made an incredible play as you say.

I'd be interested to see what people do think is better.

Quick edit: I guess by the way I must agree with you, as when I read the thread title this exact play popped into my mind.

LargentFan

Reaction score
Amazing play by an amazing player, no doubt. I don't know of a better one off of the top of my head, but there is a play a few years back by Brandon Browner that might be close.
Cam Newton running an option toward him, he plays it so perfectly, I was awestruck. Browner forces Newton to pitch the ball to Deangelo Williams and hits him as the ball gets there, causing a fumble. It was amazing. He was all alone at the line of scrimmage and should have been easy meat for a play like that.

http://www.seahawks.com/video/2012/10/07/highlight-browner-forces-and-recovers-fumble

Smellyman

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2eeb8636 said:
LymonHawk":2eeb8636 said:
Although this was a great play, I believe 'the tip' was a better play.

Disagree with you, Lymon. The Tip was a very well-timed play, but it's not uncommon to see corner fade passes picked off or batted away. I guess the tip play as a whole between Sherman batting it away, and Smith being there to gather the ball for the INT is pretty good, but I don't think it's on the same level as the Earl Chop. Like Rob pointed out, there's a window of less than a second for Earl to make the play he does, and for him to have the presence of mind and reaction timing to knock the ball through the endzone after dislodging it is absolutely mind-boggling. In terms of impact, the Tip wins every time. it was an amazing play that saved a potential TD against a rival in our own house at the end of the 4th quarter of the NFCCG. The very definition of a big-time play. But examining the two plays without all of the other stuff, the Earl Chop wins out, at least in my opinion.

An awful play by the RB to hold the ball out.

Ruminator

Reaction score
The tip by RS was a great play in that it was the difference between winning or losing the NFCC. But it was 80% athleticism, 20% mental, and a CB denying an end zone catch like that isn't all that uncommon.

The TD-denying chop by ET was a great play all by itself because it is a rare feat and was 100% speed and 100% mental awareness. Definitely one of the greatest defensive plays ever, regardless of the W/L implications at the time.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I sat through a lot of crappy football as a Seahawk fan.

One of these days, when all this is over, we are going to look back on those years as having had the privilege of watching some of the finest football being played at the time.

I remember when they picked Earl Thomas, and I was OK with it. I had no idea it was the game changer it was. Same with Kam Chancellor, I was excited about the big and fast part...but had no idea I was going to be watching guys that would play HOF quality ball whether they ever reached the hall or not.

We are fortunate.

That play by Thomas was insane.

That was at a visiting stadium, but someday it is going to be a big deal to say you saw those guys play in person.

Can you imagine reconciling the way people feel about the Seahawks now vs the general apathy people had about them when the Seahawks were trying to get the stadium funded and people had bumperstickers that said stuff like "Go Mariners and take the Seahawks with you!"??

Now I look back, see the 2 top sports teams at the time (Sonics and Huskies), one is gone and the other is there but that is about all you can say for them. Meanwhile the Seahawks are a juggernaut. The Mariners still blow dogwater though you cannot win them all.

If you are not buying a ticket and seeing this live, even if it is only one game here and one game there, you are missing out. We are really lucky to have gotten a chance to see this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Earl is my key to the 2015 season.

If he comes back healthy and ready to roll, I think we go far. If he's hampered by his major injury, or stays dinged up all year? I think we're in trouble.

Everyone's important on the defense, but IMO without Earl's unbelievable speed and football IQ to play that one high safety which allows Kam to drop down and lay the wood this defense isn't half as effective.

sutz

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1ywynanu said:
Smellyman":1ywynanu said:
peachesenregalia":1ywynanu said:
LymonHawk":1ywynanu said:

Disagree with you, Lymon. The Tip was a very well-timed play, but it's not uncommon to see corner fade passes picked off or batted away. I guess the tip play as a whole between Sherman batting it away, and Smith being there to gather the ball for the INT is pretty good, but I don't think it's on the same level as the Earl Chop. Like Rob pointed out, there's a window of less than a second for Earl to make the play he does, and for him to have the presence of mind and reaction timing to knock the ball through the endzone after dislodging it is absolutely mind-boggling. In terms of impact, the Tip wins every time. it was an amazing play that saved a potential TD against a rival in our own house at the end of the 4th quarter of the NFCCG. The very definition of a big-time play. But examining the two plays without all of the other stuff, the Earl Chop wins out, at least in my opinion.

An awful play by the RB to hold the ball out.

Sort of. I'm certain he wasn't expecting Earl to come in and make that play. All that ball has to do is break the plane of the goal line and it's a TD. That was literally milliseconds from happening. If Earl arrives a few milliseconds later, that's a TD, even if the ball comes out. Had the RB tucked, he may have been stopped before the goal line, so I feel like he probably made a better play, because 99% of the time, that's a TD, which makes the Earl Chop an even more impressive play.
Or if he had moved the ball to his left hand. Probably should have been in his off hand anyway.

Great play by Earl, no doubt. Will go in Seahawks highlights for years.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I think if you consider context, The Tip has to be at the top, because that one play sent us to the Super Bowl. Next I would put Romo's FG fumble, because that one play moved us on to the second round of the 2006 season's playoffs.

But for sheer displays of awesome talent, Earl's TD chop is at the top of the list, along with Brandon Browner's bait/tackle/forced fumble/recovery, and the forced fumble for a safety (almost a TD!) in the Romo playoff game. Also, a couple years ago, there was a spectacular tackle for a safety against the Giants. And the tip drill, also against the Giants IIRC.

I'll shut up now.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
LargentFan":3706v8v1 said:
Amazing play by an amazing player, no doubt. I don't know of a better one off of the top of my head, but there is a play a few years back by Brandon Browner that might be close.
Cam Newton running an option toward him, he plays it so perfectly, I was awestruck. Browner forces Newton to pitch the ball to Deangelo Williams and hits him as the ball gets there, causing a fumble. It was amazing. He was all alone at the line of scrimmage and should have been easy meat for a play like that.

http://www.seahawks.com/video/2012/10/07/highlight-browner-forces-and-recovers-fumble

This is the only game I have ever attended live , I was sitting on the 40 yard line and absolutely lost my mind when Browner made this play. He was the reason we won that game ( He also made the touchdown saving tackle at the one yard line with under 2 mins left in the game )

That Earl Thomas play was so clutch . Its all IQ too . of course his talent got him to that spot in time but it was 80% mental . Great F'N play .

"The Tip" As many of you refer to , me not really being one of them . was a really good play. But a play we have seen Sherman make time and time again . The situation of course was gigantic but it was just a really good play . It doesn't deserve a statue like I have seen somebody mention.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd say it's up there, probably tied with the best of a few plays.

For sheer timing and skill, it's probably the best. Like Peaches said, just inches either way and the play turns out differently.

The tip was impressive, not because Sherm tipped it, but because he tipped it to Malcom. If it's just a tip, the Niners get another shot.

Laloosh

Reaction score
After reading the title, I thought of the play mentioned so... no.

sutz

Reaction score
Re: The Tip.

1. It is so-o-o-o blanking cool that we have a play named that almost everybody remembers as just that..."The Tip."

2. IMHO, Malcolm may have made the better play there, by trailing the play and being ready for the tip. Too many players will try to get in and mix it up and inadvertantly enable the catch to be made by interfering with the other defender. Kudos on the coaches, too, for teaching and drilling them on this exact scenario so they are prepared. They've actually done this several times IIRC.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1nuxfkej said:
LymonHawk":1nuxfkej said:

How many times do you think ET thought about, or possible tried, that move before?

What kid playing ball in the sandlots hasn't dreamed of, or thought of, doing something like that? You think it, maybe even practice it, so when the opportunity presents itself you just act on it. I can remember thinking of hidden ball tricks, faked throws, etc. And if I had the opportunity present itself, I acted on it. I was only a sandlot player when I was younger, but even I on occasion could pull the rabbit out of the hat.

What I find truly cool, is that we can now sit around and discuss which of the 'Hawks great defensive plays is the best.

In the words of the Grateful Dead, "What a long strange trip it's been..." :0190l:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It seems easy to discount "The Tip" because it's so famous and we've seen Sherman do it before, but I think it's nevertheless an incredible football play. To get hands on a fade ball thrown to the corner of the endzone is unbelievably difficult in itself. That ball is generally impossible to intercept. To have the discipline to tip it perfectly into the hands of a trailing teammate was almost unthinkable prior to that season and then the Seahawks made it an art (starting against NYG).

Earl's judo chop is right there as one of the very best defensive plays of last season, along with Brent Grimes one-handed INT (sheer spectacle) and obviously Malcolm Butler... (context and degree of difficulty)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
BlueTalon":tbqzomiu said:
I think if you consider context, The Tip has to be at the top, because that one play sent us to the Super Bowl. Next I would put Romo's FG fumble, because that one play moved us on to the second round of the 2006 season's playoffs.

But for sheer displays of awesome talent, Earl's TD chop is at the top of the list, along with Brandon Browner's bait/tackle/forced fumble/recovery, and the forced fumble for a safety (almost a TD!) in the Romo playoff game. Also, a couple years ago, there was a spectacular tackle for a safety against the Giants. And the tip drill, also against the Giants IIRC.

I'll shut up now.
Don't shut up, you made great points! :th2thumbs: