Rosenthal: Possible Surprise Training Camp Cuts (2 Seahawks)

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000504275/article/15-potential-surprise-training-camp-cuts[/urltargetblank]

7. Brandon Mebane, Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle: Mebane is similar to a lot players on this list. He's an aging (30) starter coming off a serious injury (hamstring surgery) with a healthy salary. He's due $5.5 million and the Seahawks certainly don't want to lose his run-stopping ability. He'll need to show he's healthy.

8. Christine Michael, Seattle Seahawks running back: Long on potential and short on production, it's Go Time for Michael to earn some playing time.

First thing is just me nit-picking, but if you are already predicting the possibility, that kind of takes the surprise part away from the equation.

IMO, I don't see Mebane being cut unless he's not healthy. Michael is still on the cheap, but he'll definitely need to show some improvement to the coaching staff.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's not about the money with Michael, it's about the roster spot.

The guy can't get on the field, for a variety of reasons that we've heard. The coaching staff just might want more production from that spot instead of potential.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
If Mebane gets cut...there's going to be some Josh Wilson level of skepticism coming.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":1f0c02ft said:

The guy can't get on the field, for a variety of reasons that we've heard. The coaching staff just might want more production from that spot instead of potential.

The cheap aspect was in ratio to his perceived talent level. It's not like he's being paid superstar money or anything Basically anyone who takes his roster spot wouldn't save a lot of cap space, so it comes down to whether or not he can earn his spot this time around

cacksman

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2dlui5jo said:
If Mebane gets cut...there's going to be some Josh Wilson level of skepticism coming.

Not possible. PCJS did not have the leeway in 2010 that they do now.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":fw5xfzc5 said:

Speaking as one of the people leading the charge on that particular hullabaloo, I don't think cutting Mebane would actually be all that much of a shock. Rose is right, Mebane is an unfortunate combination of gimpy, expensive, and on a team known for pulling talent out of thin air. But Mebane is still plenty talented, and the DL didn't exactly look good with him out last year. If he's healthy, he's in.

Basis4day

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2bmtd0vd said:
dontbelikethat":2bmtd0vd said:

Speaking as one of the people leading the charge on that particular hullabaloo, I don't think cutting Mebane would actually be all that much of a shock. Rose is right, Mebane is an unfortunate combination of gimpy, expensive, and on a team known for pulling talent out of thin air. But Mebane is still plenty talented, and the DL didn't exactly look good with him out last year. If he's healthy, he's in.

It shouldn't be a shock if you look at the players that tend to be cut for age and salary cap reasons historically.

I don't think Michael would be cut, but only because i still think you can get something in a trade if they were looking to move on from him.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Cutting Mebane for primarily cap reasons wouldn't be that surprising in itself, but I would question the timing a bit. If that was the plan, you'd think they would've already done it and given him a better options to catch on with another team.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1ujj709u said:
Cutting Mebane for primarily cap reasons wouldn't be that surprising in itself, but I would question the timing a bit. If that was the plan, you'd think they would've already done it and given him a better options to catch on with another team.

If Wilson or Wagner were signed by now i think you would have seen it. If one or both gets done i think you still may.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Can we cut Bennett and Irivin and use the cash to sign the rest of them?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I can't see Mebane being cut this season unless he can't play up to a satisfactory level b/c he will be a FA next year and the team could recover a comp pick for him. Given the team has Rubin here as insurance for Mebane he will need to show he's ready to perform this year but I'd be surprised if he was cut.

Michael has been discussed elsewhere here and needs to demonstrate he's up to playing the game mentally, something he's not shown so far. There is little doubt he's a freak physically but weak practice habits, lack of knowledge of the playbook, temper displays, and telegraphing plays are all signs of a weak or immature mental approach to his job by him and that renders him vulnerable if his roster slot is deemed needed. This player could easily be a trade piece if another team need is seen in TC.

nanomoz

Reaction score
There's no way Mebane is cut, unless he hasn't progressed from the injury. He was playing better than ever late last season, top-3 nose tackle in the league, and that's something it looks like he could do for several more years at a high level.

This is mostly lazy reaching, I.E., "The Seahawks like young players, and Mebane is over 30."

kpak76

Reaction score
Rubin is younger and cheaper. Everyone was looking at him to be Mebane's replacement when he signed. He might be showing good progress which would make Mebane expendable. We do have depth at Mebanes position.

kobebryant

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1qt66cde said:
Can we cut Bennett and Irivin and use the cash to sign the rest of them?

I don't see any upside to cutting Bennett and Irvin.

Bennett is a great value, on a very reasonable deal compared to how good of a player he is.

Irvin is inexpensive, on the last year of his deal, and versatile; also, I'm not sure how much would be saved by cutting him. If Carpenter wasn't cut prior to his rookie deal expiring I see no reason Irvin would be.

Neither move would make much sense. Both moves would make the team worse.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle didn't draft a DT or RB. They signed Rubin, but Rubin is here to replace Williams.

They aren't going to cut Mebane without having a guy on the team to replace him. And they won't cut Michael for a no-name scrub before the preseason.

Barring a Lendale White situation, we generally haven't seen any surprise preseason cuts before the first cutdown date.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hawks46":176lb3ia said:

Michael has multi million dollar skill but a 10 cent brain. There's no reason a third year, former second round pick should have gotten so little burn at this point in their career - especially a running back. Aros' post earlier about his inside source saying that the kid was a bust due to his lack of simple understanding of the playbook and his assignments doesn't look so far fetched now. Even with Lynch as our hoss, he simply should have seen the field more by now but it's evident the coaches do not trust him further than they can throw him.

Hope I'm wrong. Michael is a rare physical talent. But if he can't put it together mentally he's useless to this team.

Rob12

Reaction score
kearly":30vxr18d said:
Seattle didn't draft a DT or RB. They signed Rubin, but Rubin is here to replace Williams.

They aren't going to cut Mebane without having a guy on the team to replace him. And they won't cut Michael for a no-name scrub before the preseason.

Barring a Lendale White situation, we generally haven't seen any surprise preseason cuts before the first cutdown date.

If he performs in camp, I'd be down with trading Michael and keeping Rawls on the 53. I love the way he runs. For a UDFA, he looks legit. Maybe he'll actually learn the playbook and sell out on passing downs.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Lack of d line depth really showed up as the season went on last year. Cutting Mebane doesn't really make a ton of sense to me.

Only unless his hamstring hasn't healed or they need to cap space would cutting him make sense. Earl has gone on record to say Mebane is the hardest member of the defense to replace. He's been on this squad since the beginning. His run stopping ability will be huge for us to continue being a #1 defense