710 Tuesday BR's Jason Cole on what Russell wants plus more!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Bleacher Report's Jason Cole joins "Bob, Groz and Tom" to talk about his report that Russell Wilson is seeking the most guaranteed money in an NFL deal.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... 1014&n=Bob, Groz and Tom

The Professor joins Danny, Dave and Moore with his Coors Light Cold Hard Facts. He weighs in on the NFL's recent disciplinary tactics and what he expects to happen with Tom Brady's appeal. Then, Randy Johnson was inducted into the Hall of Fame this weekend. Did he go to Zach Galifianakis for speech tips? And, the Mariners pull off a unique triple play in "Sweeping the Dial".

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... 13&n=Danny, Dave and Moore

Seahawks wide receiver Jermaine Kearse talks to "Danny, Dave and Moore" about his offseason and what drove him to do charitable work for military families.

The Seahawks WR joins Danny, Dave and Moore to discuss his new foundation 15 to 1: Jermaine Kearse Foundation and breaks down some of his most clutch catches this past season.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
You can call it what YOU want but if RW plays for 1.5 myn this year I vote that indeed he IS stpid

M.M.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Marlin Man":xr7949ac said:
You can call it what YOU want but if RW plays for 1.5 myn this year I vote that indeed he IS stpid

M.M.

Does anyone know for sure the Hawks are offering him more than 1.5 mill this year.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Yes, yes we do.

this stupid posturing by russels agent is tiresome. Its not going to happen and he is doing him a huge disservice by even entertaining the thought of not doing a contract this year.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2qqp37mt said:
Marlin Man":2qqp37mt said:

M.M.

Does anyone know for sure the Hawks are offering him more than 1.5 mill this year.

My impression was that his base salary would stay 1.5m this year. Then they would tack on a new contract with 'new' money (e.g. 4yr 85m). They would then provide some of the 'new' money this year as a bonus. Thus it would look like he's making 10m for example.

So yes, he'd earn 1.5m this year and 21.5 or so after. Getting some of his new contract money this year doesn't change his base pay. So in the four years of his current contract, he would make half of what Matt Flynn made in one.

Of course some argue that the Hawks deserve to have this flexibility since they gave him a chance by picking him up (see Salk) and should be able to get his fourth year cheap. This runs counter to what everyone said for the last 3 years when they talked about how it was shame the Hawks couldn't pay him what he deserved due to the new CBA. Here we are in a year where the Hawks can tear up his current contract and create a new one, but they aren't and people are saying they shouldn't or that Russell is greedy.

It's all business and will work itself out. No one is a bad guy in this situation and fans will always get their panties in a knot around contract talks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1r5p5vpf said:
Marlin Man":1r5p5vpf said:

M.M.

All the reports I've read said no, that he would play out his rookie contract and start the extension next year.......and considering the Hawks have less than 10M in cap space this year, this would make sense.

The downside, and why the deal probably hasn't gotten done is if this IS true, why would Russell sign this year if he has to wait until next year to get paid? Have another great year + wait for Luck to get his bazillion dollars and the price just went up.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2q52e0xq said:
Year of The Hawk":2q52e0xq said:
Marlin Man":2q52e0xq said:

M.M.

All the reports I've read said no, that he would play out his rookie contract and start the extension next year.......and considering the Hawks have less than 10M in cap space this year, this would make sense.

The downside, and why the deal probably hasn't gotten done is if this IS true, why would Russell sign this year if he has to wait until next year to get paid? Have another great year + wait for Luck to get his bazillion dollars and the price just went up.

Yep, the only new money would be the signing bonus which could be prorated starting this year.. I believe signing bonuses can be prorated for a max of 5 years so 20-25M bonus seems prudent to keep them under the cap enough to get a deal done for Wagz or Sweezy too.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
The Seattle FO should give Wilson a few million bump in salary this year for some type of incentive to get this done now.

Signing an extension at this point is really for the Seahawks' benefit of using this year to pro-rate the signing bonus. Yes, RW gets his signing bonus a year early, but were talking about the investment income growth being the only thing enticing RW to sign now.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":1si0e4r3 said:
The Seattle FO should give Wilson a few million bump in salary this year for some type of incentive to get this done now.

Signing an extension at this point is really for the Seahawks' benefit of using this year to pro-rate the signing bonus. Yes, RW gets his signing bonus a year early, but were talking about the investment income growth being the only thing enticing RW to sign now.

I disagree with the notion that seattle should give russell wilson a few million dollar bump when they never done that before, even with richard sherman and kam chancellors extension. Plus, giving him few million dollar bump would prevent them from resigning bobby waggner this offseason which makes no sense. Russell was drafted in the third round and therefore he makes 1.5 mill, he has to deal with it.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The first soft deadline is coming up Friday and if he doesn't sign for the 22 mill he's been offered I'm perfectly fine with him playing out his contract . I think he will be making a huge mistake if he doesn't sign and he will lose a lot of respect with me as well, not that that matters but it's the truth , and a lot of Seattle fans will be turned off by Wilson's refusal to sign a MORE than fair offer from the Seahawks. I think he signs on Thursday or Friday i just can't believe he would make such a bad decision and play on a one year 1.5 mill contract i won't believe it until i see it .

Narniaman

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":27azlctw said:
The first soft deadline is coming up Friday and if he doesn't sign for the 22 mill he's been offered I'm perfectly fine with him playing out his contract . I think he will be making a huge mistake if he doesn't sign and he will lose a lot of respect with me as well, not that that matters but it's the truth , and a lot of Seattle fans will be turned off by Wilson's refusal to sign a MORE than fair offer from the Seahawks. I think he signs on Thursday or Friday i just can't believe he would make such a bad decision and play on a one year 1.5 mill contract i won't believe it until i see it .

Really?

Is that "22 mill he's been offered" perhaps have a few conditions on it. . like maybe requiring him to throw for 6000 yards a year with no more than three interceptions, to be named the NFL MVP, and for the Seahawks to win the Superbowl each -- or his salary reverts to the league mininum??

Now before you say, "No, that's ridiculous". . . think about this.

The contract that Colin Kaepernick signed with the 49ers for seven years and 126 million required him to make 1st or 2nd string All-Pro, take the 49ers to the Superbowl, and play 80% of the snaps. If he didn't meet those requirements. . .his salary could drop as low as. . .$25 million over seven years.

So. . .what type of conditions does that "$22 million dollar offer" contain????

Care to tell us??

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Narniaman":29sqtzpl said:
Northwest Seahawk":29sqtzpl said:

Really?

Is that "22 mill he's been offered" perhaps have a few conditions on it. . like maybe requiring him to throw for 6000 yards a year with no more than three interceptions, to be named the NFL MVP, and for the Seahawks to win the Superbowl each -- or his salary reverts to the league mininum??

The contract that Colin Kaepernick signed with the 49ers for seven years and 126 million required him to make 1st or 2nd string All-Pro, take the 49ers to the Superbowl, and play 80% of the snaps. If he didn't meet those requirements. . .his salary could drop as low as. . .$25 million over seven years.

Care to tell us??

THAT is ridiculous. Kape offered up that contract and the 49ers jumped at it. No other QB in the league would copy that approach.

But let's not divert the thread.

I think that all we really know are some rough parameters of the negotiations, and a vague idea of how Russell and his agent are approaching it.

It's negotiations, and I've realized that there's nothing to get worked up over until the actual contract numbers are made available.

I'm sure Russell has started high and will sign for somewhere in the 22 million per year range which would allow the team to stick with it's business model of keeping and extending their own.

But we shall see. I'll try to remain calm, as I really have zero evidence that RW is trying to break the bank, or that JS is trying to short-change our Franchise QB.

P.S. there are other podcasts above, and if anybody has suggestions of other podcasts from different broadcasters, I'd love to hear them.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Narniaman":1betb444 said:
Northwest Seahawk":1betb444 said:

Really?

Care to tell us??

Your suggestion of Wilson's offer is beyond ridiculous. This FO has shown time and again to be more than fair with their contract offers. What you are suggesting is, with possibly the most important player on the team and the current face of the franchise they are suddenly trying to play a very slimy version of hard ball.

No one knows the details but even Holmgren (who appears to have inside info) said he thought Wilson was being foolish and that the offer based on other comparable offers, is more than fair.

Question for you (or anyone) what is RGIII worth now? He tore up his knee and has never been able to regain his form. If Wilson were to have a similar type of injury (god forbid) and finished the year on IR, do you think the RGIII comparisons wouldn't come out and possibly very significantly hurt RW's value in FA? He is seen as a mobile QB and not viewed as elite by most as a pocket passer. If the threat of his mobility was lingering, would NFL franchises ignore that and still offer him $22 mill? I doubt it.

Also Keap wanted to be the highest paid player in the NFL and there are still just too many questions about his probability of reaching his ceiling. The 9ers probably offered him something significantly less but without all the clauses and ability to dump him and recoup his contract at the beginning of each year or he could take this pretty ridiculous offer that has almost zero chance of materializing but appears to have huge numbers. I think the contract was actually introduced as the highest paid player in NFL history. Kaep IMO foolishly took the fake offer that really gives him very little protection or likelihood of paying him close to what the elite QB's in the league are getting.

It was a smart move by the 9ers FO to give themselves and out if Kaep continues to digress like he appeared to do last year and really dumb IMO for kaep to accept the offer when he had some leverage to work with at the time.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
goseahawks2012":394ue2u1 said:
I disagree with the notion that seattle should give russell wilson a few million dollar bump when they never done that before
Actually, they did exactly that with Brandon Browner. They gave him a 1/2 million salary bump, just 'cause.

Narniaman

Reaction score
RichNhansom":wswigwpq said:
Your suggestion of Wilson's offer is beyond ridiculous. This FO has shown time and again to be more than fair with their contract offers. What you are suggesting is, with possibly the most important player on the team and the current face of the franchise they are suddenly trying to play a very slimy version of hard ball.

No one knows the details but even Holmgren (who appears to have inside info) said he thought Wilson was being foolish and that the offer based on other comparable offers, is more than fair.

Question for you (or anyone) what is RGIII worth now? He tore up his knee and has never been able to regain his form. If Wilson were to have a similar type of injury (god forbid) and finished the year on IR, do you think the RGIII comparisons wouldn't come out and possibly very significantly hurt RW's value in FA? He is seen as a mobile QB and not viewed as elite by most as a pocket passer. If the threat of his mobility was lingering, would NFL franchises ignore that and still offer him $22 mill? I doubt it.

Also Keap wanted to be the highest paid player in the NFL and there are still just too many questions about his probability of reaching his ceiling. The 9ers probably offered him something significantly less but without all the clauses and ability to dump him and recoup his contract at the beginning of each year or he could take this pretty ridiculous offer that has almost zero chance of materializing but appears to have huge numbers. I think the contract was actually introduced as the highest paid player in NFL history. Kaep IMO foolishly took the fake offer that really gives him very little protection or likelihood of paying him close to what the elite QB's in the league are getting.

It was a smart move by the 9ers FO to give themselves and out if Kaep continues to digress like he appeared to do last year and really dumb IMO for kaep to accept the offer when he had some leverage to work with at the time.

Okay. . . . just where do you suppose the reports on the $22 million a year are coming from???

Do you suppose that some sports writer consulted a psychic who gave him the inside scoop?

Or do you think that sports writer maybe got it from one of two groups. . .as in 1) The Seahawks, or 2) Wilson and/or his agent?

Now certainly there is no question that the Seahawks seem to be sharing select info with select people who just happen to be willing to publicly praise the Seahawks. . . I'm looking at you, Mike Holmgren. If they weren't -- there is no way that Holmgren could plausible claim that what Wilson was offered was a "fair deal". And it does strain belief that Wilson and/or his agent would release information -- that might make the average Joe think that Wilson was "being greedy" in response to the more than generous offer from the generous and benevolent Seahawk front office.

So why do you suppose that while we're hearing numbers like "$22 million a year" bandied about. . . we have yet to hear about "a smart move by the Seahawks FO to give themselves an out" if Russ happens to digress like Kaepernick did in his fourth season in the NFL??? While we "know" about the $22 million a year proposed salary. . . why haven't we heard anything about specific guarantees and conditions??

You stated "What you are suggesting is, with possibly the most important player on the team and the current face of the franchise they are suddenly trying to play a very slimy version of hard ball. . . . ."

Not exactly. . .but close. I am suggesting is with possibly the most important player on the team and the current face of the franchise, they are trying to use every advantage to minimize the amount of money that is transferred from Paul Allen's checkbook to Russell Wilson's checkbook. And one of the ways in which they are trying to accomplish that is to generate public pressure for Russell to forget what his (MLB) agent recommends and sign the Seahawks offer, and SIGN RIGHT NOW. . . . . . . .else the adoring Seahawk fans just aren't going to think he's such a nice guy after all.

Seeing all the meme's that have been presented about Wilson's possible perfidy in the present negotiations, it would not surprise me at all if the Seahawks don't have a PR Agency at work trying to promote the "Seahawks generous and reasonable. . . Wilson Greedy and Selfish" theme.