Seahawks may pursue Freeney and Wayne

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This per Jim Trotter, hinges on the Wilson deal being done before Friday.

If the [Seahawks] don't get Russell done, they're going to take the $20M they've set aside for him and possibly use it on free agent veterans. There are a couple they're intrigued with — one is Dwight Freeney, the other is wide receiver Reggie Wayne. So, if Russell's contract doesn't get done by Friday, potentially look for the Seahawks to supplement their roster with some veteran free agents that are out there.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/7/27/904 ... ree-agents

mikeak

Reaction score
The numbers don't make sense. Unused cap rolls over so why spend it just to spend it???

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
mikeak":24gja5f0 said:
The numbers don't make sense. Unused cap rolls over so why spend it just to spend it???

I imagine either player would only get a 1-year deal.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would rather give Rice a chance as depth to Lynch of Turbin is not a full go.

Yeah he has some issues but he will be playing for a contract somewhere else and this would be a good showcase in a offense that is run featured.

lukerguy

Reaction score
It still rolls over, even if it's a one year deal.

For example, the Hawks have $20MM left for 2015-2016 and they don't spend it, they get an additional $20MM rolled over to next year from which they could front load a contract or use it however they want.

If they sign Wayne and Freeney for a total of $6MM, then that's $6MM less we'd have to work with.

The Wilson contract shouldn't hinge on those two players; they should considering signing each one at their own merit, but not in relationship to RW contract this year..

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":kq4y5jl2 said:

Because they want to win the Super Bowl this year and obviously think those guys can help them to achieve that by providing some extra depth. Signing Wayne would be bad news for Norwood's spot on the roster. If they want to add another veteran WR to the mix, I'd prefer they sign James Jones over Wayne.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
If the Hawks want to add some depth to increase their chance of a good season this year, that's fine by me. Wayne and Freeney would not be guarantees to make the roster anyway.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
lukerguy":2j6shhme said:
It still rolls over, even if it's a one year deal.

For example, the Hawks have $20MM left for 2015-2016 and they don't spend it, they get an additional $20MM rolled over to next year from which they could front load a contract or use it however they want.

If they sign Wayne and Freeney for a total of $6MM, then that's $6MM less we'd have to work with.

The Wilson contract shouldn't hinge on those two players; they should considering signing each one at their own merit, but not in relationship to RW contract this year..

I think what this means is if they don't ink Wilson this week, negotiations are done until next offseason.. which in that case, any one-year deals would be off the books when they are re-opening talks next February... hence their interest in adding another vet or two they would otherwise not afford by extending Wilson now.

titan3131

Reaction score
interested on a 1 year deal with freeney. we dont have room for any Wr barring a unforseen soul reaping in practice by kam chancellor.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
titan3131":t1r3noxu said:
interested on a 1 year deal with freeney. we dont have room for any Wr barring a unforseen soul reaping in practice by kam chancellor.

Wouldn't mind letting Reggie Wayne fight it out with Norwood, Matthews, etc. He seems to be on his last legs though, but why not at least take a look?

Fade

Reaction score
Reggie Wayne is done.

Dwight Freeney, I would kick the tires.

titan3131

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1inqrluq said:
titan3131":1inqrluq said:

Wouldn't mind letting Reggie Wayne fight it out with Norwood, Matthews, etc. He seems to be on his last legs though, but why not at least take a look?

Because I dont think wayne has the speed anymore.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":2zonnvc4 said:

True, but neither of these guys would cost a lot.............and as we found out in the SB, D-line and WR depth was the difference.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
These guys would play here on 1 year deals and could create a situation where the team might find a comp pick comes to them if either has a good season and gets a solid FA offer.

I'd frankly expect Wags to be done before the season starts.

Chapow

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":363yffj0 said:
too bad Junior Gallette is such a nut case

If he wasn't, he'd still be with the Saints.

Chapow

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":2b4v6l8t said:
If they want to add another veteran WR to the mix, I'd prefer they sign James Jones over Wayne.

THIS!

Jones still has the desire and plenty left in the tank IMO.