"Frank Clark could be the real deal"

titan3131

Reaction score
This was a great article over at field gulls. I know there was alot of drama with his selection but please leave that out of this thread. I would like to keep this about his ability and his future as a DL stud.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/7/14/895 ... -real-deal

the highlights are here:

"you find that at 271lbs (compared to Irvin's 246lbs and Fowler's 260lbs), Clark's 10 yard split time is 1.58 (Irvin's was 1.55, Fowler was 1.59). That by itself tells us a totally different story regarding Clark's speed. "

"The next logical step was to evaluate his "explosiveness". Clark posted 38.5 vertical jump at 271lbs. How good is that? Well, it was good enough to be the 2nd best score of all players tested for the DL this year. It was much better than Irvin's 33.5 or Fowler's 32.5. It is a stunning number indicating how fast he can explode out of his stance. This number plus his short range speed are enough to merit Clark with the physical excellence badge but we are far from over."

"Next on the agenda are the agility and stop/start capabilities. Those are found when you evaluate his 20 and 60 yard shuttle times. Imagine my surprise at finding a 271lbs DE at the top of the draft class on both categories. Let me say that again, Frank Clark posted the best 20/60 shuttle times of all DL candidates of the 2015 draft. His 4.06 on the 20 yards shuttle falls just behind the combine record holder Irvin at 4.05 as second all time DL candidate. His 11.22 on the 60 yards shuttle falls just behind the record holder Manny Lawson at 11.08. Both are way ahead of Fowler's 4.32 and 11.85. Those are incredible numbers for a big guy. Just incredible.

His 7.08 3 cone time is just one hundredth of a second behind the leader in this draft class placing him 3rd of all DL in the 2015 draft. (Fowler managed a 7.40) WOOW.

All those numbers indicate that Clark should display the explosiveness and quick-twitch athleticism needed to play the position at the highest level."

Towards the start of the draft I had him mocked to Seattle every chance I could because based off his combine and his measurements he fits a mold of what seattle looks for. Low and behold he became the upset pick of the draft for us.

I personally think he has the chance to make our Dline the best in the league for the forseeable future.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing.

I loved the selection. Not a lot of defensive lineman actually wear offensive lineman down. Clark is one of them. And he does it by a combination of athleticism, toughness, and motor. He's a rare athlete with functional strength that jumps off the screen.

He's as good of an every-down prospect on the defensive line as all but a handful of people in the last few drafts. I think he's going to be a centerpiece, and soon.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The OP stayed at a holiday in express last night.

I personally really liked his take on the 2nd rounder. If you don't, perhaps your rebuttal could contain some facts like his post did.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
You do know without the drama he was a top 10 type pick? Likely the best at his position available regardless. It's a no brainer that he'll be a difference maker on this team just like Tyler Lockett (the second best steal in the draft behind Clark. Gurley wasn't a steal given he went ridiculously high).

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good article. The only nit pick I have is that Irvin isn't 246 pounds anymore.

Look at him as a rookie, and look at him now. He's 255 easy.

Clark is one guy I'm excited to watch in TC. With his athleticism, arm length and ability to play the run, he's looking like a very good and well rounded player, from a talent perspective. I sincerely hope he replaces Bennett. I'm tired of his antics.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawks46":2pwn0q1r said:
Good article. The only nit pick I have is that Irvin isn't 246 pounds anymore.

Look at him as a rookie, and look at him now. He's 255 easy.

Clark is one guy I'm excited to watch in TC. With his athleticism, arm length and ability to play the run, he's looking like a very good and well rounded player, from a talent perspective. I sincerely hope he replaces Bennett. I'm tired of his antics.

They were referring to Irvin's combine weight when he posted those times:
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/bru ... id=2532871

I agree that Irvin looks heavier now.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
That's What peds do, they put weight on you.

lukerguy

Reaction score
You have to believe the Seahawks love him considering how much they love Lockett and traded to get him, and they took Clark before him without blinking.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I know these guys haven't played a down yet. But, could you see this draft rival the Wilson/Wagner/Bruce draft in terms of impact?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
titan3131":33gg458k said:
This was a great article over at field gulls. I know there was alot of drama with his selection but please leave that out of this thread. I would like to keep this about his ability and his future as a DL stud.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/7/14/895 ... -real-deal

the highlights are here:

"you find that at 271lbs (compared to Irvin's 246lbs and Fowler's 260lbs), Clark's 10 yard split time is 1.58 (Irvin's was 1.55, Fowler was 1.59). That by itself tells us a totally different story regarding Clark's speed. "

"The next logical step was to evaluate his "explosiveness". Clark posted 38.5 vertical jump at 271lbs. How good is that? Well, it was good enough to be the 2nd best score of all players tested for the DL this year. It was much better than Irvin's 33.5 or Fowler's 32.5. It is a stunning number indicating how fast he can explode out of his stance. This number plus his short range speed are enough to merit Clark with the physical excellence badge but we are far from over."

"Next on the agenda are the agility and stop/start capabilities. Those are found when you evaluate his 20 and 60 yard shuttle times. Imagine my surprise at finding a 271lbs DE at the top of the draft class on both categories. Let me say that again, Frank Clark posted the best 20/60 shuttle times of all DL candidates of the 2015 draft. His 4.06 on the 20 yards shuttle falls just behind the combine record holder Irvin at 4.05 as second all time DL candidate. His 11.22 on the 60 yards shuttle falls just behind the record holder Manny Lawson at 11.08. Both are way ahead of Fowler's 4.32 and 11.85. Those are incredible numbers for a big guy. Just incredible.

His 7.08 3 cone time is just one hundredth of a second behind the leader in this draft class placing him 3rd of all DL in the 2015 draft. (Fowler managed a 7.40) WOOW.

All those numbers indicate that Clark should display the explosiveness and quick-twitch athleticism needed to play the position at the highest level."

Towards the start of the draft I had him mocked to Seattle every chance I could because based off his combine and his measurements he fits a mold of what seattle looks for. Low and behold he became the upset pick of the draft for us.

I personally think he has the chance to make our Dline the best in the league for the forseeable future.

I thought Ricky Fowler was a golfer???

Really tho... great article and I appreciate what they wrote and you posted here. All of the tangibles are there and we have some coaches that know a thing or two..... Thanks.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Cannot wait to see what Cable does with this guy! I have been waiting for a truly imposing DL for a while now. Clark might be the one to help us do it.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1ri9fiaj said:
I know these guys haven't played a down yet. But, could you see this draft rival the Wilson/Wagner/Bruce draft in terms of impact?

Not even close. Without that draft class, The Hawks wouldn't appear in back-to-back Super Bowls. Even if this class matches the productivity of the 2012 class, it cannot make an even greater impact than the 2012 class, just because of the number of positions that had to be filled.

Atradees

Reaction score
IDK.......Call me in two years. Completely raw.....not unlike Irvin. All opinion no fact but its a true opinion.

Sac

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2im123c6 said:
Cannot wait to see what Cable does with this guy! I have been waiting for a truly imposing DL for a while now. Clark might be the one to help us do it.

...Cable doesn't work with D-Linement. He's the offensive line coach.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":qd783scy said:
Evil_Shenanigans":qd783scy said:

YA.....um uh...la la la la la la (I dont wanna know) la la la la la la la LMAO

McGruff

Reaction score
Atradees":3kjelvzu said:
IDK.......Call me in two years. Completely raw.....not unlike Irvin. All opinion no fact but its a true opinion.

Actually, he is nothing like Irvin. He is not nearly as athletic (not a slight, Irvin is a freak) but is much more polished and well rounded. A great variety of pass rushing moves and a solid run defender. He's more of an instant impact performer than Irvin.

JMO of course.

tooshort

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":24wilkfu said:
Evil_Shenanigans":24wilkfu said:

I was trying to figure out if there was any Sokoli/Sweezey/Fat Rabbit sarcasm going on there, but i don't think so.That said, add another 25 lbs on his frame and with his arm length and short area explosion you do have one hell of a C/OG conversion prospect for Cable.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
McGruff":h9hnxwdx said:
Atradees":h9hnxwdx said:

Actually, he is nothing like Irvin. He is not nearly as athletic (not a slight, Irvin is a freak) but is much more polished and well rounded. A great variety of pass rushing moves and a solid run defender. He's more of an instant impact performer than Irvin.

JMO of course.

Clark's cut from a different mold than Irvin. Irvin was supposed to be that freak speed rusher that blew by every lineman before he could get out of his stance. Problem is that he doesn't have a countermove and can get pushed off the line of scrimmage on running plays (Atl playoff game anyone?). Clark has the more traditional DE size as opposed to our previous Leo rushers (Irvin 243, Clemons 250-255). It looks like we're slowly moving toward a more conventional 4-3 defense.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
Im not so sure that we are moving our defensive style.

Gwachum fills that leo role to a T.

Clark will be interior rusher primarliy. He isnt moved much by oline and as posted has great ratings against the run.

I see him and bennett being the incredible pass rush taht avril and bennett were together when we had clemons at leo.

Imagine the front

Avril---Clark----Bennett----Irvin

I forsee this as the 3rd down nascar elite squad.