Bobby Wagner??

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Anybody hear anything about his contract? Despite the logic of doing Wilson's contract first so the team knows what can be done for Wags, still I was pretty happy when JS & Company said they were prepared to work on Bobby's contract since the RW situation is dragging on. One little blip on the news, then nothing!

Anybody know anything?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
That little announcement was just PR in the negotiating war between JS and RW's agent.

ctrcat

Reaction score
I am very curious about this as well. Wagner and Thomas share an agent, David Dunn. JS and Dunn made Thomas the highest paid player at his position much earlier in the offseason, April, of last year. What's the holdup? I read this article stating that JS may not want to pay top 5 LB money to Wagner? http://chawktalk.com/2014/12/12/how-muc ... gner-cost/ IMHO that makes zero sense. Could Wilson's holdup really be keeping this from happening as well? IMHO that also makes no sense since Kuechly may sign sooner rather than later as originally thought after the Newton and Davis' extensions, setting the LB market, instead of Wagner, likely meaning more $$$ for Wagner, whether more or less than Kuechly. Is that what they're waiting on? Please correct me if I'm wrong or help me understand.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Every new contract for a player at the same position jacks up the ante'. The longer the Hawks wait, the more they''re gonna pay.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2896gsyd said:
Every new contract for a player at the same position jacks up the ante'. The longer the Hawks wait, the more they''re gonna pay.

Even if Kuechly and Tom Condon wait since he does have the extra year, I'm still having a hard time seeing the value in waiting. Is it David Dunn this time? Wagner? Wilson? JS not valuing LBs as much as others? Or just offseason impatience?

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
They're not going to pay Wagner until they pay Wilson. the Seahawks have a real difficult decision to make. If they don't agree on a contract with Wilson but sign Wagner Russ maybe gone.

kobebryant

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":16qktbps said:
They're not going to pay Wagner until they pay Wilson. the Seahawks have a real difficult decision to make. If they don't agree on a contract with Wilson but sign Wagner Russ maybe gone.

I disagree. I think Wagner will get done first. I also don't see it as a difficult decision at all, both will get done eventually. The execution will be challenging, but the decision to keep both is not.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Wager is an All-Pro . . . they shouldn't have to wait on Wilson and reportedly have already begun negotiations. As long as they reserve whatever money they need for next year's franchise tag and leave open ~$7 million in cap space this season for Wilson's potential signing bonus, they should just go ahead and lock up Wagner now. We can't allow a baseball agent's rumored absurdity to muck up extending an All-Pro.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
kobebryant":sg1y99k5 said:
seahawk12thman":sg1y99k5 said:

I disagree. I think Wagner will get done first. I also don't see it as a difficult decision at all, both will get done eventually. The execution will be challenging, but the decision to keep both is not.

just means more cuts elsewhere...hopefully Bennett...hard to keep and try to pay everyone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do think Wagner and Kuechly are both waiting on each other to sign their deals to see who sets the market first.

Right now the highest paid middle LB's are all in a 3-4 defense, and around 9-9.5M a year.

http://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/

So not sure if Wagner's agent will say he's more valuable, the Hawk's say he's less valuable? Idk. But seems that around 10M per year is a good number to focus on with Wagner.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1u0lyibe said:
I do think Wagner and Kuechly are both waiting on each other to sign their deals to see who sets the market first.

Right now the highest paid middle LB's are all in a 3-4 defense, and around 9-9.5M a year.

So not sure if Wagner's agent will say he's more valuable, the Hawk's say he's less valuable? Idk. But seems that around 10M per year is a good number to focus on with Wagner.

They could do an extension that is basically identical to Earl Thomas's contract:
Y5DILWz

Get err done.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
"In this corner, we have John Schneider, the Juggler". John's job is to keep three out of five balls in the air. How long can he do this? We'll know by July 31st.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":l6ndv6wo said:

If true then it's no different than Luck and Wilson in that Luck has the extra year being a first round pick. And, while highly unlikely IMHO, the Panthers "could" use the tag in the ensuing years on Kuechly since it's unlikely they'd use on anyone else. And there's only one tag per team. Or, Kuechly does strike a deal first afterall, but the number is astronomical?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ctrcat":3b5lmvce said:
Sgt. Largent":3b5lmvce said:

If true then it's no different than Luck and Wilson in that Luck has the extra year being a first round pick. And, while highly unlikely IMHO, the Panthers "could" use the tag in the ensuing years on Kuechly since it's unlikely they'd use on anyone else. And there's only one tag per team. Or, Kuechly does strike a deal first afterall, but the number is astronomical?

But this is why signing Wagner is vital to negotiating with Wilson.........and why the Panthers got Newton's extension done. So they could tag Kuechly if they have to.

Which tells me it gives Wagner TREMENDOUS leverage right now, might be why he hasn't signed. He knows the Wilson negotiations aren't going very well. So he can leverage that into a better contract demand.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3r0rxwtl said:
ctrcat":3r0rxwtl said:
Sgt. Largent":3r0rxwtl said:

But this is why signing Wagner is vital to negotiating with Wilson.........and why the Panthers got Newton's extension done. So they could tag Kuechly if they have to.

Which tells me it gives Wagner TREMENDOUS leverage right now, might be why he hasn't signed. He knows the Wilson negotiations aren't going very well. So he can leverage that into a better contract demand.

Hypothetically, couldn't we use the franchise tag on Wilson and the transition tag on Wagner, or maybe even vice versa?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/572456165235294209[/tweet]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Not sure that last stat is accurate. I actually think it's probably half that. Maybe not even half. Both he and Kam have maybe missed 10 tackles combined the past 3 years total.