Seahawks and Wagner beginning extension discussions

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Seems like it could be a FO move effectively calling Russell's bluff about playing out his rookie contract.

Common sense says you get the larger contract done first.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Let's hope that it means they are getting close with Russell.

In all honesty though, I don't expect Russell's contract to be done before training camp, with Bobby's closing shortly there after.

They're just staggering the negotiations.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Wilson one is obviously going to be painful and prolonged. They probably just want to get on with business. The FO will save $ for Wilson--it's not like Wally Walker is our GM.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":sa7vx3ny said:
Let's hope that it means they are getting close with Russell.

In all honesty though, I don't expect Russell's contract to be done before training camp, with Bobby's closing shortly there after.

They're just staggering the negotiations.

They'll get Wagner done before camp IMO.

Then the franchise tag is free to use in the event Wilson isn't done between now and next February.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":26d4is5x said:
Seems like it could be a FO move effectively calling Russell's bluff about playing out his rookie contract.

Not necessarily.. common sense says if you have 2 key FA's and one franchise tag.. you get one done ASAP.

Wilson's deal has all kinds of wrinkles behind it.. Wagner's does not. Seems pretty cut and dry to me

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I want this done asap. Would rather this had been done before KJ Wrights.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Unless one of these guys has a catastrophic injury this year, they will both be on the Seahawks come the start of next season and beyond. Both guys will get signed and both guys will get paid, When that happens, who knows.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":fyltrvad said:
onanygivensunday":fyltrvad said:

Not necessarily.. common sense says if you have 2 key FA's and one franchise tag.. you get one done ASAP.

Wilson's deal has all kinds of wrinkles behind it.. Wagner's does not. Seems pretty cut and dry to me

It is cut and dry, unless Wagner and his agent use this leverage to play hardball for some more skrilla.

If you're Wagner's agent, you know the Hawks want to lock up your client so they can franchise Russell next year if they have to. That's a bargaining chip.

Hopefully we won't get that far, but it's a possibility now.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The dance between team and player continues with agent Mark Rodgers, a baseball agent, sending a 16-page letter to the Seahawks explaining his position, as initially reported by Ian Rapoport of NFL Media.

PFT has confirmed that the letter was sent. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Rodgers routinely creates “position papers” in all larger baseball negotiations. And while Rodgers isn’t looking to start a war with the Seahawks, he needs to advocate for Wilson.

I wonder if those 16 pages helped educate Schneider on the parameters of an NFL contract, LOL. Wilson's agent seems to be approaching this more like a litigation than a meeting of the minds. Glad we are not waiting on this guy before we sign Wagner and others.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Wagner is the QB of the defense. We saw last year that his absence had a huge impact. No one is less expendable, not ET, not Sherman, not Kam. Wagner is the most important player on the LOB.

Having both our QB's, Wilson and Wagner, but for contract talks at the same time has been a source of concern for me for quite some while.

I hope we get Bobby signed and then go from there with Wilson.

Anthony!

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1yfmjl6t said:
Wagner is the QB of the defense. We saw last year that his absence had a huge impact. No one is less expendable, not ET, not Sherman, not Kam. Wagner is the most important player on the LOB.

Having both our QB's, Wilson and Wagner, but for contract talks at the same time has been a source of concern for me for quite some while.

I hope we get Bobby signed and then go from there with Wilson.

Lost of assumptions on Wilson and Wagner. Fact is we do not know all that much. IF Wilsons Agent did send the document to the Hawks, the question is why? Maybe they want more than the Hawks are offering. The question is then what did the Hawks offer. If what we have heard of 4 years 80 mil is right then they low balled him. If it was more than it depends how much more. As for Wagner he has leverage as well and now that they have started with Wagner Wilson has even more, you can only Tag one of them and in Wilson's case you really can only do it for 1 year and at that it will be 25 Mil. I still think they have decided any avg QB would do. The comments JS said seem to indicate that. We will see.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilsons agent is playing Baseball in the NFL, I can see that 16 page letter sent, I can also see a Post it sent in return with NO ! and TRY AGAIN.

kearly

Reaction score
If paying Wagner had no impact on signing Wilson to an extension this offseason, they would have signed him months ago.

So to me, this development hints that either Seattle and Wilson are extremely close to announcing a deal or that they are so far apart that the FO has basically given up on getting a deal in 2015. And given that Wilson's agent just sent JS a 16 page manifesto about the conditions that must be met, I'm guessing it's not the former.

I don't know what the two sides are arguing over, but I do know that waiting plays to Wilson's advantage, so long as he doesn't get hurt next year. If WIlson stays healthy and sees a spike in production with his new weapons, Seattle might be lucky to get Wilson at $25 million AYP next year.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2ta4dn5f said:
If paying Wagner had no impact on signing Wilson to an extension this offseason, they would have signed him months ago.

So to me, this development hints that either Seattle and Wilson are extremely close to announcing a deal or that they are so far apart that the FO has basically given up on getting a deal in 2015. And given that Wilson's agent just sent JS a 16 page manifesto about the conditions that must be met, I'm guessing it's not the former.

I don't know what the two sides are arguing over, but I do know that waiting plays to Wilson's advantage, so long as he doesn't get hurt next year. If WIlson stays healthy and sees a spike in production with his new weapons, Seattle might be lucky to get Wilson at $25 million AYP next year.

Or maybe it's neither. Maybe the team is realizing that they need to up their offer for Wilson and want to at least get the idea of what Watner is going to cost so they can determine what to do with Wilson's deal. You're right that the two are intertwined. If Wilson's agent is playing hardball, why not get an idea of what It will take to sign Wagner so they have a better idea of how to get Wilson to sign on the dotted line?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":ynby1nxg said:

I agree but it depends on how you define what is, and what is not, "to Wilson's advantage."

Wilson's advantage should be signing a $20+ million a year deal that both secures his future with the team and allows the team to ease into his massive salary increase, so that it can keep as many of their playmakers around him as possible. Newton recently signed such a deal, with Wilson's former agent no less.

I would argue that it is NOT to Wilson's advantage to have a drawn out, borderline-litigious negotiation process that undermines the stability of the team and his image as a team-first player. It may be to the benefit of the agent, increasing his own take-home commission, as the market value for the position rises exponentially. The same agent who just three years ago said he was too inexperienced in NFL deals to negotiate Wilson's relatively simple rookie contract.

If Wilson's long-term interest is in becoming the best player he can become -- and thereby making the most money he can on and off the field -- then I don't think such a negotiating stance is to Wilson's advantage.

Latest posts