HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sooo...., according to Cabs, these are the 5 names in the mix:

-LJP
-Nowack
-Lewis
-Sokoli
-Pericek

He also said the list will shrink to 2-3 names soon. Based on that, what are your best guesses?

Two of them seem like a no-brainer (LJP and Lewis). The third guy, if it comes to that, becomes murky, since the remainder of the list has seen little-to-no PT.

I'm gonna go with wishful thinking and say Sokoli.

kearly

Reaction score
1. Lewis
2. Sokoli
3. LJP (it seemed like he almost wasn't offered a contract, he's obviously on the bubble)
4. Who?
5. Who?????

OP
OP
HawKnPeppa

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Haha! Yeah, I didn't know how to pronounce Pericek's name ('Preesek') until Cable said it at the Town Hall Mtg.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2g37hv8w said:
Sooo...., according to Cabs, these are the 5 names in the mix:

-LJP
-Nowack
-Lewis
-Sokoli
-Pericek

He also said the list will shrink to 2-3 names soon. Based on that, what are your best guesses?

Two of them seem like a no-brainer (LJP and Lewis). The third guy, if it comes to that, becomes murky, since the remainder of the list has seen little-to-no PT.

I'm gonna go with wishful thinking and say Sokoli.
That's my pick, he seems to be very athletic and that looks like the direction we're going with the OL. Probably to keep up with Wilson.

Jville

Reaction score
Patrick Lewis was moved from guard to center following his sophomore season in college. I think the center position is his focus and wouldn't anticipate him lining up elsewhere in the early part of camp.

Lemuel Jeanpierre the veteran C/G backup they know very well. I would think him a valued coaching tool to assist integrating young prospects into the line. He should maintain a visible and versatile presence during that evaluation and sorting out period.

Kristjan Sokoli is "the project" unless his learning skills slow him down.

Drew Nowack was a defensive lineman that was converted to a practice squad guard by Jacksonville because of injuries. He was added to Seattles practice squad last year after being released. I have heard nothing about his progress.

Will Pericak is a more resent addition and is making an effort to make the transition from a defensive lineman to offense. Heard very little about him. Given his late (fill out the 90 man roster) arrival, he is likely competing for consideration for development on the practice squad.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I would expect LJP to get every opportunity to win the job, and is likely the safest bet. If Lewis wins out I think it is more a sign Lewis has progressed very nicely and it would make me fell like we are deeper across the board because I think we know LJP will perform at or slightly below league avg.

Tical21

Reaction score
For what it's worth, LJP has been getting the majority of the first-team reps at OTA's.

I'm not ruling out the kid's name that I don't know how to spell. We haven't been shy about playing rookies, even those without experience.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":3oqo7rio said:
For what it's worth, LJP has been getting the majority of the first-team reps at OTA's.

I'm not ruling out the kid's name that I don't know how to spell. We haven't been shy about playing rookies, even those without experience.
Sokoli, I know he's a long shot but OL is mostly about desire and center is mostly about intelligence on top. He has amazing physical tools but now he's got to prove he has GRIT(the total package).

hawknation2015

Reaction score
They will continue to develop Sokoli at center, but it's hard to imagine he will be ready for action this year. Learning how to pass and run block is one thing (Sweezy made a pretty successful transition in 2012), but learning all of the line calls and learning how to snap the ball, in addition to basic blocking assignments is too much to ask of a rookie, former DT. I am excited to watch him in action during the preseason; his athleticism is absolutely freakish . . . just look at his watermelon-sized calves.

Jeanpierre vs. Lewis poses an interesting tradeoff. Lewis grabbed the starting job from Jeanpierre last season in the final two regular season games and performed well. The team did a nice job controlling the line of scrimmage in those games and opening up big holes for Lynch. But so far, Jeanpierre has been the one taking the first team reps in OTAs.

Jeanpierre gives them a very good athlete at the center position. He also has more experience (60 games with the Seahawks with 11 starts), has longer arms, is a few inches taller, and is much more agile (his 7.40 second three-cone equals Sweezy's combine time).

Lewis gives them a better run blocker at the center position. He is more powerful than Jeanpierre on tape, although Jeanpierre is the better overall athlete. Lewis is arguably the slowest and least agile player on the roster.

Jeanpierre has the advantage at this point, if he stays healthy, and Sokoli looks like the future of the position. The kind of team Carroll wants to build is one that is faster and bigger than our opponents, and Jeanpierre fits that mold better than Lewis. Although Lewis performed admirably as a starter, Jeanpierre's edge in experience cannot be discounted.

It's not common for teams to alternate starters at a critical position like center, but perhaps Lewis will find a role in certain short-yardage situations or against certain opponents. Assuming Jeanpierre is the eventual starter at center, that could create a problem for the run blocking, especially if Bailey -- the poorest run blocker on the team -- is starting next to him. This makes me think Bailey at Left Guard is not the foregone conclusion it has been made out to be.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Drew Nowak took snaps at center with the first team during OTAs. Looks like a pretty good athlete. You don't tend to see a lot of left handed centers.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
At the moment it looks like LJP will win the starting job with Lewis being the main back-up. Sokoli looks like a long term project who could make us forget about Unger.

One of the other two guys might upset and beat Sokoli for the 3rd job at center but LJP and Lewis are probably set for the top two spots.

Seafan

Reaction score
I heard on a podcast that Glowinski took snaps at center this week. Probably means nothing since Cable likes to crosstrain his OL. He also took snaps at RT.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2w4fnlpf said:
They will continue to develop Sokoli at center, but it's hard to imagine he will be ready for action this year. Learning how to pass and run block is one thing (Sweezy made a pretty successful transition in 2012), but learning all of the line calls and learning how to snap the ball, in addition to basic blocking assignments is too much to ask of a rookie, former DT. I am excited to watch him in action during the preseason; his athleticism is absolutely freakish . . . just look at his watermelon-sized calves.

Jeanpierre vs. Lewis poses an interesting tradeoff. Lewis grabbed the starting job from Jeanpierre last season in the final two regular season games and performed well. The team did a nice job controlling the line of scrimmage in those games and opening up big holes for Lynch. But so far, Jeanpierre has been the one taking the first team reps in OTAs.

Jeanpierre gives them a very good athlete at the center position. He also has more experience (60 games with the Seahawks with 11 starts), has longer arms, is a few inches taller, and is much more agile (his 7.40 second three-cone equals Sweezy's combine time).

Lewis gives them a better run blocker at the center position. He is more powerful than Jeanpierre on tape, although Jeanpierre is the better overall athlete. Lewis is arguably the slowest and least agile player on the roster.

Jeanpierre has the advantage at this point, if he stays healthy, and Sokoli looks like the future of the position. The kind of team Carroll wants to build is one that is faster and bigger than our opponents, and Jeanpierre fits that mold better than Lewis. Although Lewis performed admirably as a starter, Jeanpierre's edge in experience cannot be discounted.

It's not common for teams to alternate starters at a critical position like center, but perhaps Lewis will find a role in certain short-yardage situations or against certain opponents. Assuming Jeanpierre is the eventual starter at center, that could create a problem for the run blocking, especially if Bailey -- the poorest run blocker on the team -- is starting next to him. This makes me think Bailey at Left Guard is not the foregone conclusion it has been made out to be.

Good post, although I would disagree about Sweezy learning to pass block. He still gets too high in his stance and gets squared up to easily, meaning that he gets knocked flat on his back quite often from a good bull rush. If you're going to square your guy up in pass pro, you still gotta get lower than him or you're going to get trucked. Either that or redirect him.

I'd agree on LJP and Lewis. Lewis was definitely a better run blocker, but LJP has more experience. I think both would be above average as Centers in our offense. The thing that I did notice was that Lewis is like 6'2". It might help to have a shorter Center in front of Russ for viewing lanes.

Any of you knowledgeable OL guys know if that is ever a consideration in front of a shorter QB ?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawks46":1wt10gti said:
hawknation2015":1wt10gti said:

Good post, although I would disagree about Sweezy learning to pass block. He still gets too high in his stance and gets squared up to easily, meaning that he gets knocked flat on his back quite often from a good bull rush. If you're going to square your guy up in pass pro, you still gotta get lower than him or you're going to get trucked. Either that or redirect him.

I'd agree on LJP and Lewis. Lewis was definitely a better run blocker, but LJP has more experience. I think both would be above average as Centers in our offense. The thing that I did notice was that Lewis is like 6'2". It might help to have a shorter Center in front of Russ for viewing lanes.

Any of you knowledgeable OL guys know if that is ever a consideration in front of a shorter QB ?

I don't think it matters all that much. At 6'5, Unger is one of the taller centers in the league. They chose to move Sokoli to center, and he's also around 6'5. Taller linemen are usually, but not always, quicker and more athletic because their weight is more distributed. Russell has played with tall centers throughout his career.

I agree with your assessment on Sweezy. He's improved a lot over the years, but there are still some fundamentals he needs to clean up to become a consistently good blocker.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
As the spring ended, there appeared to be three candidates to replace him — Lemuel Jeanpierre, Drew Nowak and Patrick Lewis.

Also in the running is Kristjan Sokoli. But given that he is a sixth-round draft pick who is making the switch to offense after playing defensive line in college, the odds seem slim.

The leader at the end of OTAs and minicamp was Jeanpierre, 28, who has been with the Seahawks since 2010 and is among the most veteran of Seattle’s offensive linemen.

Nowak ended the spring as maybe the most intriguing candidate. A defensive lineman at Western Michigan, he made the switch to the offensive line, with the Seahawks having become interested in his ability at center after watching him on the practice squad last season.

Lewis, entering his third season, started four games last year, including a victory at Arizona in which the Seahawks gained a franchise-record 596 yards against a defense some considered among the best in the NFL.

But Jeanpierre and Nowak appeared to get the bulk of the snaps with the starting unit in the OTAs and at the one minicamp practice open to the media, with Lewis also at times playing guard.

Given what we saw in the spring, the fact that the Seahawks are in a win-now mode and that experience is as vital at the center spot as any on the offensive line, Jeanpierre would seem to have the edge.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... at-center/

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I look at that list and all I can think is this must be how the office is strong arming Russell Wilson into signing his deal before the season begins. It would be crazy to risk guarenteed money while relying on any one of these guys to protect him.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Is Oaklands old center still available on the market? If we pull our offer for Russ we could be brining in a few Vets on 1 year deals.

original poster

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3rjtji35 said:
Is Oaklands old center still available on the market? If we pull our offer for Russ we could be brining in a few Vets on 1 year deals.

He signed with the Jags back in April.