Jimmy Graham and blocking

Hawks46

Reaction score
There's been a lot of theory floating around about how Jimmy won't be blocking, Jimmy will be blocking, he'll only be split out wide, etc. I read something about Jimmy when he was first traded and basically it said that Jimmy was never asked to blocking in NO, so it's tough to know whether or not he's good at it.

This blurb is from Terry Blount's ESPN coverage of our OTA's.

"RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks tight end Jimmy Graham is 100 percent confident in his blocking skills. Questions about his blocking ability came up a couple of times after Tuesday’s organized team activity when Graham had five TD receptions in the red zone.

One reporter asked Graham how he would assess himself as a blocker.

“I could show you,” Graham said. “Listen man, I’m 270 pounds. I can block anybody I want to. It’s all about want to. We’ll see come the first Sunday.”

Graham’s blocking skills, or lack thereof, have been a topic throughout his career. He is widely viewed as one of the top receiving tight ends in the NFL, but not among the best blockers at his position.

“Personally, I’m excited to block,” Graham said. “I can’t wait. That’s what I’ve been focusing on since I got here. The routes and the passing offense, that stuff obviously comes natural. So for me, it's about focusing on what they’re trying to do here, which is the running game. It’s the staple of this offense and I’m proud to be a part of it.”

Does he feel like there’s a point to prove about his blocking?

“Not really,’’ he said. “I’m going to do what they tell me to do. If that’s go out and score, go out and catch or go out and hit somebody, I’m going to do it.”

He's so right about the "want to", especially as it pertains to WRs. There's guy that can knock your block off, but won't because they don't consider it their job description. I'm getting even more pumped and jacked to see Graham this year.

sutz

Reaction score
Kind of what I was thinking. He was never asked to block so everybody assumed it was because he couldn't.

I have no doubt he'll need some coaching on it, as he hasn't done a lot of it. But he has the size and the speed to get to his spots. Like he said, if he wants to bad enough, he should be able to knock some guys around, especailly the average LB, which he'll have 10-20 lbs on, or more.

Again we have a guy saying all the right things. It is an added dimension the D will have to look out for. Is he going on a crossing route underneath, or is he going to take out a LB for Marshawn? I like it. At 270, he can take on your average DE, too. Pass blocking is a bit of a different animal of course, but if he can do that, his chip and release moves should be that much more effective.

Our coaches seem able to find ways to utilize players in ways other coaches can't or won't. I like it.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I would rather see Graham lined up in the slot or out wide at split end, strengthening our receiving corps and doing what he does best by commanding double teams and opening up the box, than lined up in-line wasting his energy and risking injury by attempting to block defensive linemen and linebackers. It's not a question of toughness or effort; it's about utilizing his greatest skill set as a receiver.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Our receivers all block. If you can't block, you don't see the field much on this team.

mikeak

Reaction score
1) Five TDs in redzone in practice - I like!!!

2) He will see the field regardless of blocking ability. If it is bad then you adjust to your players - especially stars you just traded for

3) If he isn't great at blocking he will figure out chipping enough

kearly

Reaction score
Run blocking is about want-to, and to be honest I'm not really worried about Graham's potential as a run blocker. I bet he'll do just fine.

Pass blocking though is more about God-given ability. Maybe Graham will suck in protection or maybe he'll pass block with aplomb the way Miller did. Either way, I pray Bevell is wise enough to not waste our biggest weapon in the passing game as a pass blocker.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":1jxstole said:
Run blocking is about want-to, and to be honest I'm not really worried about Graham's potential as a run blocker. I bet he'll do just fine.

Pass blocking though is more about God-given ability. I pray Bevell is wise enough to not waste our biggest weapon in the passing game as a pass blocker.

:13: :13: :13:

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":143ocplf said:
I would rather see Graham lined up in the slot or out wide at split end, strengthening our receiving corps and doing what he does best by commanding double teams and opening up the box, than lined up in-line wasting his energy and risking injury by attempting to block defensive linemen and linebackers. It's not a question of toughness or effort; it's about utilizing his greatest skill set as a receiver.

Not that I disagree with you, but I'm really intrigued in this fact that the team does want him to stay inline and block some. I'm no expert, but that they feel this makes them a better team other than a purely slot or split out wide end really epitomizes, to me, Pete Carroll's traditional run first, play action offense being more effective than an offense like New Orleans (which showed he can be a 100+ catch 10+ TD guy).

Frankly, I'm expecting a ton of backlash for how Pete and Bevell utilizes Jimmy even when they maintain or improve its top-5 DVOA offensive ranking from last year.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":2i3qg8me said:
Pass blocking though is more about God-given ability.

Kip, I know you played Oline in your playing days. Care to elaborate on this a bit? Physically, it seems Jimmy easily has the measurable to pass block better than even Zach Miller. Is it just technique that comes easier to some more than others?

chris98251

Reaction score
I would like to see him Block as well as Jeremy Stevens used to, they are close in size.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I have little doubt he will block, and block well. Superior athlete + smarts + 270lbs + WILL TO BLOCK translates to AT LEAST an effective blocker. I bet he has nimble feet (ya think?) as well, so if asked to pass block in a pinch, he'll get it done.

kearly

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1k09hrql said:
kearly":1k09hrql said:
Pass blocking though is more about God-given ability.
Kip, I know you played Oline in your playing days. Care to elaborate on this a bit? Physically, it seems Jimmy easily has the measurable to pass block better than even Zach Miller. Is it just technique that comes easier to some more than others?

Basically, almost anyone reading this thread could throw a cut block with a day's training.

For more conventional run blocking, Anyone that has a ton of want to and minimal NFL caliber tools can run block with at least an average amount of success in a ZBS. You don't need long arms, or be a combine megastar, though the latter helps.

Look at JR Sweezy or Breno. Especially Breno. Those dudes could not be any more intense. Do you think they are any less intense on pass pro? And yet, both could get dumped on their ass if their punch wasn't strong enough, or their backpedal wasn't fluid enough, or their arms weren't long enough, or their ability to pick up a stunt wasn't quick enough, or their sidestep not wide enough, or their anchor vs. the bullrush not sturdy enough, or their shoulders aren't back far enough causing them to lean.

You could be the most badass run blocker in the world with 30 inch arms. But you would probably never play in the NFL because you'd never win a battle in pass pro with arms like that. (sobs quietly)

Effort, nasty, motor and mean streak can go a very long way in the run game, particularly in a ZBS where you might only need to 'win' your assignment for fraction of a second. In pass pro, playing hard helps a little, but at the end of the day you either have the basic talent to survive or you don't. Winning for 1 second might be enough in the run game, but win for only 1 second in the pass game and the result will always be a pressure or sack.

That's basically what it comes down to. Run blocking is about attacking. Pass blocking is about survival. In run blocking, there really isn't any one aspect that can doom you. You could run a 6.0 forty with a 20 inch vert and still be a good run blocker. But on the flipside, there are more than a half-dozen things that could sink you in pass pro if you are lacking in a particular area physically or mentally.

sutz

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3qf4vqqq said:

So you want a team of one-trick ponies? One problem with this attitude is that it leads to the opposition knowing what's coming. I don't care how talented players are, if the opponent knows what's coming, they can neutralize or at least minimize it's effectiveness.

After all, New Orleans used this approach with this exact player. Why couldn't they beat us with 'one of the best pass catching TEs in the league'?

I'm with the coaches on this one. Coach him up, put him in, to block if that's what the play calls for. What's better, a 'superstar' that can only be effective on 40% of your plays, or a superstar out there every down? He won't be just a pass catching threat. He'll be a triple threat. From the 2 yard line, what do you do? Do yo try to blanket him, or get ready to take on his block with Marshawn behind him? You choose. Any time you force the defense to make choices, you've gained an advantage.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
sutz":2pr8mc6s said:
hawknation2015":2pr8mc6s said:

So you want a team of one-trick ponies? One problem with this attitude is that it leads to the opposition knowing what's coming. I don't care how talented players are, if the opponent knows what's coming, they can neutralize or at least minimize it's effectiveness.

After all, New Orleans used this approach with this exact player. Why couldn't they beat us with 'one of the best pass catching TEs in the league'?

I'm with the coaches on this one. Coach him up, put him in, to block if that's what the play calls for. What's better, a 'superstar' that can only be effective on 40% of your plays, or a superstar out there every down? He won't be just a pass catching threat. He'll be a triple threat. From the 2 yard line, what do you do? Do yo try to blanket him, or get ready to take on his block with Marshawn behind him? You choose. Any time you force the defense to make choices, you've gained an advantage.
That would be the next step to improving Graham's game.
Tony Gonzalez started off much like Jimmy but learned to be well - rounded and a long time all pro. Word is Graham wants to improve his game likewise.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Jimmy is a former basketball player so you know he knows how to use his body to box out opponents and set picks and such. Blocking for WR's and fast pass catching TE's like him will be mostly about running your guy(normally a DB or LB) off as a decoy and then mostly just keep him from getting back to the ball carrier quickly. This does not require pancake blocks or knocking the guy down. So, as stated before, it is all about "want to."

Laloosh

Reaction score
Will believe it when I see it but I'm pulling for the guy.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Under the umbrella of improving one's self each and every day, Jimmy will learn how to block as a Seahawk.

It'll be one of the fun things to watch during preseason and the first half of the regular season.

Personally, I'm not concerned.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I am looking forward to some of Millers old trick playz out of Graham. The quick block and roll out down the field for an easy 75 yd TD...oh wait he got ran down at the 5. Or how about the fall down and then run to the corner of the endzone move.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't think he can block a pissed-off psycho DE that wants to get rid of him. I doubt he has a good enough base to be that great against LB's either. He can't be any worse than Luke Willson though. If he truly has the want-to, he can at the least become adequate.

I do agree with Kip that pass-blocking is largely innate.

I do think though that top-heavy guys naturally have a much more difficult time run-blocking than guys that wear their weight lower. Guys like Walt and Ogden could do both because they could generate so much power from the sand in their pants (big butts and thighs), that it really didn't matter how tall they were. To run block, you have to be able to keep a low, wide base, or you're going to get tossed. Maintaining that wide base isn't a natural thing for a guy that is used to running tall. I converted from QB to LT when my high school transitioned to the wishbone. Pass blocking came easy to me, and I could punish somebody off the line in the run game, but if I got into a brawl with a big, dirty SOB, my natural body type and tendency to run with my feet together could really work against me.