Weakest position re: Seahawks' depth

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I was looking at the roster on Seahawks.com. One particular position stood out as being the weakest depth wise - that is QB. I really hope that changes soon. Wilson is solid (no problems there). It's the guys the Seahawks currently have behind him on the depth chart that are concerning. The Seahawks have been extremely lucky that Wilson is a strong player. He has taken a number of hits over his 3 year career and thus far has been able to stay healtly. Looking at worse case scenario, if Wilson were to be out for an extended period of time, the Seahawks would be in quite a hole. Tarvaris is solid backup. He's not signed and he's asking for more than what Seahawks are currently offering. I believe the Seahawks FO has done a relatively poor job in addressing the QB posiiton (except for Wilson). I rather not have a situation where a guy like Whitehurst has to start for the Seahawks. That is the type of situation or worse with RJ Archer and BJ Daniels. I wish they would have looked at QB in the past couple of drafts. Surely there were candidates who had more promise that Archer or Daniels. Jackson is not going to be around forever as a backup. He may not even be back this season. It just doesn't seem that the QB is most important position (outside of their starter) where the Seahawks are concerned.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I believe it was last year that BJ was working in the mix for quarterback. T-jack was also in the mix. I think they brought in Beej just for the situation you are considering. We wanted a qb for the defense to work on, and Beej was the next best thing to act as #7dingbat. I think with him, we will be fine.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Well people on here were saying we don't need Wilson and any QB will be able to win with our defense and running game. :stirthepot:

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1o39qafc said:
Well people on here were saying we don't need Wilson and any QB will be able to win with our defense and running game. :stirthepot:

Good point.

Wait... who were those people?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well, I think it's hard to blame the FO here. We've had Wilson and Jackson, and many folks here were saying that was the best QB situation in the league.

It's not an accident that Wilson is durable. He trains to be durable. He's listed at 5'11" and 211 lbs. That's beefy enough for the RB position. Before last season, Wilson said he was specifically training his legs to get thicker and stronger to take shots and abuse. He knows he's going to run, or at least scramble. That he holds the ball longer than anyone else and takes more hits because of it is also no surprise to him.

Jackson is a career backup. I theorize that Jackson thought he could either start somewhere this year, or get money as a top backup. He's wanting more money, but honestly it's tough to blame the Seahawks organization for not giving it to him, as Wilson is incredibly durable. Seriously, if you need proof, look at Matthews' dirty hit on him in the NFCCG. I honestly thought Russ would be concussed. Avril got concussed in the Superbowl on a lesser hit.

It would be nice if we were three deep at QB, but the Hawks don't like to carry 3 QBs on the roster; we like to be deeper elsewhere. It is pretty scary as we're only 1 injury away from the backup QB. It's a nice security blanket to have, and this issue with TJack is probably getting the FO's attention as to needing another QB, but our team is pretty good and can carry an average QB. We just have to find one.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Jackson knows he has a job waiting and for how much in Seattle.. hed clearly like more money if he can get it, and/or more playing time. Hes not really a career backup at all..hes started full time several times and I believe even won a playoff game. Its not great for Seattle but it makes all the sense in the world for him to take his time, see if someone gets hurt in OTAs or if a team panics when they see what they have in OTAs (Im looking at you Cleveland).

If he doesnt get another offer, he will sign before training camp.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Defensive Tackle

Mebane
McDaniel
Hill
Rubin
Staten
Smith

I have thought DT was one of our bigger needs the last two years and I think we are even thinner than past season with Hill and Mebane coming off injuries. I think Rubin was a very under rated signing that will prove very valuable this season, if Mebane rebounds to his normal self and Hill improves I think we will be solid but still not a position of strength.

Rankings by position
1. RB
2. Safety
3. CB
4. TE
5. QB
6. DE
7. LB
8. OT
9. WR
10. OG/C
11. DT

vin.couve12

Reaction score
QB position is obviously the biggest question mark in terms of depth. There is an absolute zero in terms of actual experienced depth. However, aside from the financial constraints due to contract situations, there may actually be something that they see in Archer. Pete mentioned that Daniels is still sort of flip flopping between WR and QB, but they are quite obviously intrigued enough with Archer to go into their second camp with him getting the majority of the reps. We haven't even signed a journeyman with experience for the bare minimum, which is something we've generally done.

I think this bears watching. Clearly, the coaching staff wants to continue to put things on Archer and see how he responds. From most reports, he's got all the general tools. The NFL is about managing situations and stress. How does X player handle the shouldering of it....

Obviously we could get into measurables. Wilson and Brees are short. Peyton doesnt have the strongest arm. Brady has tiny hands that can't hold big burgers, etc.

Most of it is mental. Maybe mental toughness above all else. They want to see how Archer responds. I think that much is a given considering the lack of action at the position.

EDIT:

And honestly, I'm not sure there's a better name on the back of a jersey for a QB than Archer

18.jpg

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The reason for the thread was that from the reports at OTA - Clayton, O'Neil, and others who cover the Seahawks said that Archer and Daniels were awful in the practices. Now I know it's late May but still. Daniels hasn't shown much as a QB since he's been here. One of the many factors that may be in play for him to switch positions. Archer...is a huge question mark. I'd be more comfortable if they had Brady Quinn still here rather than these two. I'm no way a Quinn fan at all. The depth at this position will be more concerning if things are still the same going into July or August. The gap between Wilson and his backups is extremely large. I don't think Archer or Daniels could keep the Seahawks in a game, if they had to step in for Wilson, much less win a game. Even if they were playing the Raiders, Bucs, or Jags.

jblaze

Reaction score
TJack will be back. They're trying to pay him less than they did last year which was 1.5m. He's going out to try and get more money elsewhere and he's welcome to do that but ultimately, he'll return to Seattle and this situation and our offense is suited to him and his style and experience with our scheme. Meaning he has significant value to us as a backup, not so much for other teams I would imagine.

They'll probably end us signing him for like 800k and a 200k signing bonus.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
jblaze":2dcie2y9 said:
TJack will be back. They're trying to pay him less than they did last year which was 1.5m. He's going out to try and get more money elsewhere and he's welcome to do that but ultimately, he'll return to Seattle and this situation and our offense is suited to him and his style and experience with our scheme. Meaning he has significant value to us as a backup, not so much for other teams I would imagine.

They'll probably end us signing him for like 800k and a 200k signing bonus.
He made $1.25 million last year. And where did you get your information that they're offering him fewer dollars this year. That seems rather insulting, if that's the case. Backups far less talented than Tarvaris are making in the range of $2 million per year

scutterhawk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":35svdanr said:
And what's worse, the ones who are calling Wilson Greedy, or Self-ish, don't even know what he's asking for, and are assuming that he want's the lions share of the CAP.
They love to REACH with their assessment of his ability to keeping the Seahawks Offense formidable by saying that he ain't all THAT, and that we could do just as well with plugging in someone like Charlie Whitehurst. SMH

hawknation2015

Reaction score
If Bailey is playing guard, then there is no true depth at OT behind 2nd year Justin Britt and oft-injured, soon-to-be free agent Russell Okung. Gilliam has not shown enough yet to be a trusted backup at either spot, and I don't like the idea of any of the three draftees playing outside at OT. Not enough intel yet on the undrafted guys.

In addition to creating depth at OT, they obviously need to find reliable starters at left guard and center. Bailey and Jeanpierre are two of the weaker run blockers on the team. There is a clear tradeoff between having that experience/athleticism vs. plugging in a superior run blocker with less experience.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1edbu8wb said:
Defensive Tackle

Mebane
McDaniel
Hill
Rubin
Staten
Smith

I have thought DT was one of our bigger needs the last two years and I think we are even thinner than past season with Hill and Mebane coming off injuries. I think Rubin was a very under rated signing that will prove very valuable this season, if Mebane rebounds to his normal self and Hill improves I think we will be solid but still not a position of strength.

Rankings by position
1. RB
2. Safety
3. CB
4. TE
5. QB
6. DE
7. LB
8. OT
9. WR
10. OG/C
11. DT

Really 11th?

1. Mebane
2. McDaniel
3. Hill
4. Rubin
5. Dobbs
6. Scruggs
7. King
8. Smith
9. Staten
10. McGill

Hill is fine. Mebane is questionable but lets wait to see how he performs coming back. All 4 at the have starter ability. Dobbs before his injury was excellent. Scruggs has potential if he can get his knee right. King flashed in his few opportunities to get snaps. I thought Smith could have made the team last year because he was dominating in the Pre-Season but he ended up on I.R. Jury is still out on Staten but the Seahawks liked him enough to use a 5th round pick. Maybe he has improved with a year of development. All said McGill is the only rookie, and other than Staten , everyone else has been in the league for at least 3 years.

Not to mention Michael Bennet, Will Tukuafu, and potentially Frank Clark.

I don't see as big of a problem as you paint, probably only 5 or 6 of the 10 will make the squad. For now Mebane, McD, Hill, and Rubin are locks.