Is Bennett holding out for a new contract?

lsheldon

Reaction score
I read this article on Bennett comparing Carroll to Willy Wonka in an interview, and one paragraph in the article says he is holding out for a new contract. I've read rumors of him not being happy with his pay, but this is the first I've heard that he's holding out. Article is from Larry Brown Sports from Yardbarker.

Bennett, who is currently holding out for a new contract, also loves to have a good time. We saw that when he started riding a bicycle around the field after the Seahawks’ incredible comeback in the NFC Championship Game.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mic ... ar-BBk7MYX

Basis4day

Reaction score
This isn't an article. It's a blog post from yardbarker, which originally came from larrybrownsports.com/

OP
OP
lsheldon

lsheldon

Reaction score
Basis4day":2rpvactb said:
This isn't an article. It's a blog post from yardbarker, which originally came from larrybrownsports.com/

Blog post, article, whatever. The question remains the same. Thanks for contributing nothing to the conversation.

Basis4day

Reaction score
lsheldon":3pi7rwuw said:
Basis4day":3pi7rwuw said:

Blog post, article, whatever. The question remains the same. Thanks for contributing nothing to the conversation.

Asking you to consider the source does contribute to the conversation.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Bennett has said he has asked for more money and is "not back yet," but at the same time, he has not been required to be there yet. All that matters is whether he decides to miss training camp, which is TBD.

He was given a new contract a year ago, which included $10 million as part of a four-year deal with $16 million guaranteed. His base salary of $6 million this year gives him an $8 million cap hit when you include the prorated portion of the signing bonus he received last year. He was a free agent when he signed that contract last year and agreed to those terms over the offers of other teams.

IMO, he has not earned a penny more than he agreed to a year ago. And seeing as he will be turning 30 next season, it is doubtful that his value will increase anymore, unless he suddenly puts up his first 50 tackle or double-digit sack season of his career.

I am not at all sympathetic to his position, as contract law prohibits parties with a preexisting duty from demanding more money for the exact same services they have already agreed to . . . it is simply an act of bad faith for him to now demand more money one year after signing a big deal, when no circumstances have changed in relation to his performance or output.

Jville

Reaction score
lsheldon":su8m5djz said:
Basis4day":su8m5djz said:

What conversation? Steve DelVecchio throws out an, unsupported "holdout" word ..... so what? :229031_shrug:

IMO it reads like the author is piggy backing off of the work of Gregg Bell and others.

What did the author Steve DelVecchio contribute? ...... nothing!

Gregg Bell's TNT article >>> [urltargetblank]http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2015/05/21/michael-bennett-nails-it-again-playing-for-pete-carroll-is-like-playing-for-willy-wonka/[/urltargetblank]

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett made a stop at NFL Network on Thursday, appearing on “NFL Total Access,” where he addressed a number of topics, from “Deflategate” to Seattle teammates old and new.

Perhaps the most telling comments came after host Scott Hanson asked the 29-year-old about the team’s prospects in 2015, with team returning so many pieces from the squads that went to two-straight Super Bowls. Bennett, who has lamented his contract with the Seahawks this offseason after signing a four-year, $32 million deal a year ago, told Hanson “Actually, I’m not back just yet.”

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2015 ... 32011101=0

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ There you go ..... big jump from a quote that reads "I’m not back just yet.” to some third wheel, with nothing original to contribute, to arbitrarily infer and declare a "holdout".

Tical21

Reaction score
He's too busy playing for the All-Finance Team to practice.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Jville":1juiuavb said:
^^^ There you go ..... big jump from a quote that reads "I’m not back just yet.” to some third wheel, with nothing original to contribute, to arbitrarily infer and declare a "holdout".

The impression I got from Bennett when he said that was that it directly related to his request for more money. Meaning, he has chosen to not attend the off-season team workouts and other voluntary activities as leverage. Will that continue into training camp after the FO rather inevitably gives him no new money? I hope not. We are trying to battle for another Super Bowl, and he needs to learn to gel playing beside new players like Frank Clark.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The whole "I'm not back just yet" comment needs to be taken in context.

We haven't had mandatory workouts yet. Everything has been voluntary. There are several Seahawks that prefer to work out on their own, and if I remember correctly, Bennett is one of them. Skipping voluntary workouts isn't holding out.

The dude can only hold out when he's required to be there. Until then, he's not holding out. I'll wait until he misses something mandatory to worry about it. He's been babbling about wanting more money, but I don't think this gets serious. He understands he just signed a contract, and being 30, really has no leverage. There aren't many teams in the league that will give him a longer term contract for more money than we already have.

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ There you go. Impressions and inferences are separate from actual Michael Bennett statements and actions.
....... and its one and only day of mandatory minicamp for veteran players on Thursday, June 18. The Seahawks mandatory minicamp was reduced from three days to one this season, as the team forfeited two practices as a result of violating on-field contact rules one year ago
Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/05/20/seahawks-set-open-media-dates-offseason-practice-schedule[/urltargetblank]

2_0_6

Reaction score
He would be dumb to try and hold out for more. With the way the CBA is written, the team holds all the cards and can lay down some heavy fines. I would understand if he was making chump change worth a year or 2 left, but being a year into a new deal and being unhappy about your money is ridiculous.

Maybe he should fire his agent.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I don't understand what is going on in this thread. Everyone wants to talk about context and circumstance and sources, everyone is giving their opinion on why it would be stupid for him to holdout or what fines he will be accruing. I don't see a single yes or no answer in this entire thread. You guys are getting so skilled at double speak you should run for office.

To answer your question OP: Yes, he is holding out at the moment, likely won't go far.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
I would say no he isn't holding out until he actually misses a day of mandatory camp. Until that action is taken then its all useless speculation.

2_0_6

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1yiod029 said:
I don't understand what is going on in this thread. Everyone wants to talk about context and circumstance and sources, everyone is giving their opinion on why it would be stupid for him to holdout or what fines he will be accruing. I don't see a single yes or no answer in this entire thread. You guys are getting so skilled at double speak you should run for office.

To answer your question OP: Yes, he is holding out at the moment, likely won't go far.

So how is he holding out when he hasn't missed one mandatory workout? Looks as if you are offering your opinion just like the rest of us. :lol:

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":14qlvtcb said:
TheRealDTM":14qlvtcb said:

So how is he holding out when he hasn't missed one mandatory workout? Looks as if you are offering your opinion just like the rest of us. :lol:

VJsw1MaU_400x400.jpeg

two dog

Reaction score
Whether or not he's holding out, I think we should try thinking of
the Bennett kids. Wouldn't want to take food out of their mouths.

8 mil. doesn't go as far as it used to.

seaNOmercy

Reaction score
I just hate the fact that he wants to pretend like he didn't test the market already...

Seriously. I like his personality and his willingness to express himself, but give me a break...

2 years left, ball out.