Brandon Mebane return?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Anyone heard anything definitive on Mebane’s recovery? I did a quick search, and on the one Hand Pete Is saying he looks “Fantastic”, and elsewhere everyone seems to be writing him off (all too quickly IMO) as a trade prospect. With Kevin Williams interviewing with the Saints last week he may not be around as a possible replacement. If Bane doesn’t return I will definitely miss him.

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2758685/Carr ... and-Bailey

"He really has worked his butt off and everybody knows it. I don't know what that timeline is for him to be back to full speed, but yet he's way ahead of schedule. He's looking great. He's just really dedicated to it."

AgentDib

Reaction score
Well we did sign a pretty decent NT in Ahtyba Rubin. The question about Mebane isn't whether he will be traded but if he will make the team. Why would some other team give us trade capital for his $5.7 million cap hit this year if we don't want to pay it?

kearly

Reaction score
Rubin is kind of like the DT equivalent of Moeki last year. Good player, but the health concerns mean you shouldn't count on him too much. Rubin replaced Williams. Seattle did not draft a DT (to play DT). I am puzzled that anyone could read this situation and think that Mebane is probably a goner. Seattle's DT depth is somewhat shaky as it is.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":2x3mw4lh said:
Rubin is kind of like the DT equivalent of Moeki last year. Good player, but the health concerns mean you shouldn't count on him too much. Rubin replaced Williams. Seattle did not draft a DT (to play DT). I am puzzled that anyone could read this situation and think that Mebane is probably a goner. Seattle's DT depth is somewhat shaky as it is.

Agreed. Rubin played NT last year for the Browns, but it wasn't a good positional switch for him. He had more success playing more of a 3 tech position.

We also really don't have anyone else of Mebane's caliber or skill set on the squad that I've seen. Strange that he's coming off of a serious injury and they didn't do a whole lot to get depth there, especially considering Mebane's age. Oddly enough, the next best guy out there is Williams and we haven't signed him either.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I'm surprised Tony McDaniel is still on the team at his current salary, as his current cap hit appears to exceed the value of his playing ability. Good chance he gets cut once/if they extend Wagner or Wilson if they need to free up cap space.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":g7wiukfe said:

I will be exceedingly happy if Rubin plays as well as an interior lineman as Moeaki did as a TE. Moeaki's fundamentals were extremely solid, while Rubin has been below average as a pass rusher and poor against the run. On the flip side, Rubin's injury history is nowhere near as extensive as Moeaki's.

Jville

Reaction score
Looking forward to the return of Brandon Mebane. He was a force prior to his injury. They need his presence and leadership to get off to a good start in 2015.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Jville":64ynpk7e said:
Looking forward to the return of Brandon Mebane. He was a force prior to his injury. They need his presence and leadership to get off to a good start in 2015.

Agreed. The man is a force to be reckoned with and IMO has some gas left in the tank. Mebane is my broken-clock draft pick so he's a favorite. I finally guessed on a guy we actually drafted.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1qefl0pn said:
kearly":1qefl0pn said:

I will be exceedingly happy if Rubin plays as well as an interior lineman as Moeaki did as a TE. Moeaki's fundamentals were extremely solid, while Rubin has been below average as a pass rusher and poor against the run. On the flip side, Rubin's injury history is nowhere near as extensive as Moeaki's.
Colin Cole part II