The passing game

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I was wondering how hard it is for NEW receivers in our system take to get acclimated to the different style passing game we have. Pete has stated in the past that we design plays for Russell to run around in the backfield. The receivers have said they practice this with extra on top of there route. IMHO this would be hard to learn for a rookie and anyone else new in our system. Rookie receivers usually take a season or two to get there feet under them in this league but does our system make it even tougher? Is that why we may not have the results from previous draft classes shining yet? Maybe it will take extra time to adapt to this unique style of passing. Maybe we will see some of previous guys starting to shine. This could also explain why guys like P Harvin did not adapt well (besides the whole diva factor). If this is a big factor how might this affect Jimmy Graham adapting? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2duowwuo said:
I was wondering how hard it is for NEW receivers in our system take to get acclimated to the different style passing game we have. Pete has stated in the past that we design plays for Russell to run around in the backfield. The receivers have said they practice this with extra on top of there route. IMHO this would be hard to learn for a rookie and anyone else new in our system. Rookie receivers usually take a season or two to get there feet under them in this league but does our system make it even tougher? Is that why we may not have the results from previous draft classes shining yet? Maybe it will take extra time to adapt to this unique style of passing. Maybe we will see some of previous guys starting to shine. This could also explain why guys like P Harvin did not adapt well (besides the whole diva factor). If this is a big factor how might this affect Jimmy Graham adapting? Your thoughts are appreciated.

The running around is only part of our passing game. The biggest issue to be honest is out straight up passing game, plays, and route trees as has been said my numerous experts is very rudimentary. As a results we resort to the running around or as I have come to call it "Wilson Wonder Play" (WWP)way to much. If our pass plays/route trees were more in line with NFL level we would not need the WWP as much. Hopefully they will start using NFL level pass plays, and route trees.

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Pete himself has stated that they design run around plays. Now I don't know if this is due to back front line /receivers or playing to Russell's strength. Once again the chicken of eggs argument for our passing game.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I haven't heard of the Russell Run Around Plays but I heard Pete always talking about that they do scrambling drills so when Wilson does get out of the pocket that the WR find ways to get open, which Doug excels in, and if that is the case Tyler Lockett should have no problem as he does that all the time for his QB at Kansas state.

sutz

Reaction score
Frankly, I think our passing game is closer to traditional college games, with the run-first mentality and the passing game seen as a big play part of the game more than a short, grind it, move the sticks WCO kind of game.

Few 3-5 yard pass plays and more 7+ yard pass plays in our book. Less 3 step drop and more 5-7 step drop, if you get my drift.

WR probably have more trouble adapting to the pro defenses we face than our game plans. And that's true of most of the league. The pros are a lot like playing a top 10 college offense every week. Even the 'cupcake' games are tough because of the speed. I don't necessarily think it's the offenses that new WRs need to learn as the D's. More comples zones, more agressive man, more solid bump and run, better overall athletes. Not to mention the head swivel factor, if you don't watch your ass, you'll get killed out there. And the refs don't give rooks the benefit of the doubt very often.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Receivers gotta block. With some zeal. Not wanting to will keep a talented guy on the sidelines.

They must, absolutely must, have body control and play the red line very well.

Otherwise, Seattle's route concepts are damn near high school.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Nothing is going to get much better until they solidify the offensive line issues that have been haunting them for a number of years now.

Makes you look back on how good our O-line was back in the Jones, Hutch, era.

To only wish for another line like that.

GO HAWKS!!!

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I don't think it's tougher, just more effort throughout the play. Most of the QB scramble plays is backyard style which most receivers are playing since they were kids.

A rookie with instincts and run after catch ability (which looks like Tyler Lockett) can play well in those situation and even make it easier for them see the field as opposed to the opposite offense like Denver's which relies on it's receivers to be exact on their routes and where scramble plays don't ever happen and to make a play out of nothing. The harder part (for rookies) is still learning the basic NFL skills and running the normal offense.

I think Graham will have no problem fitting in. He'll have to adjust to less targets and perhaps not getting the ball on cue, at times, but he's the best kind of weapon for a scrambling QB. His length and athleticism is a perfect target and he has that basketball background to help.

BTW, you might be mistaken on Pete have plays designed for Russell to scramble around for 5 seconds in the backfield. That's all Russell being Russell. They might encourage him to do that more because it tends to work out so well, but basically they are running a normal offense, every play. If you can find a source link it would be cool to confirm otherwise.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Scottemojo":9akfiqe9 said:
Receivers gotta block. With some zeal. Not wanting to will keep a talented guy on the sidelines.

Has anyone questioned Bevell about this? I tend to agree with you but I'm curious if it has ever been explained or addressed by Bevell. It hasn't as far as I'm aware of.

Basis4day

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1fe5zp18 said:
Here's an article about the scrambling drill, but don't know that they will get Russell to run around on purpose to get someone open.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... ble-drill/

The scramble plays are for what the receivers are supposed to do when the play breaks down. It's not for Wilson to receive the ball and run around like a maniac as the first option.

mikeak

Reaction score
Scottemojo":v81hdcpm said:

I was going to make the note about learn to block and block well but you added more than I would have and better so thanks :)

titan3131

Reaction score
On madden I love the Play action roll right.

I call my right reciever to run a slant left and he always gets open.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
12HawkFan":1itqbuih said:
Nothing is going to get much better until they solidify the offensive line issues that have been haunting them for a number of years now.

Makes you look back on how good our O-line was back in the Jones, Hutch, era.

To only wish for another line like that.

GO HAWKS!!!
That was one of the best o-lines in NFL history.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
They practice the scramble drill just like the Niners did with Joe Montana. It's a called play, but his first option is to pass. When Montana his Frank Clark in "The Play", that was a called scramble play. I think the recievers break off the routes at a certain point and go to hot reads--trying to get open wherever they can, working their way back to Wilson. I bet guys like Lockette LOVE the scramble drill. He's similar to Tate, who was great at it.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Basis4day":1a9563fn said:
theincrediblesok":1a9563fn said:
Here's an article about the scrambling drill, but don't know that they will get Russell to run around on purpose to get someone open.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... ble-drill/

The scramble plays are for what the receivers are supposed to do when the play breaks down. It's not for Wilson to receive the ball and run around like a maniac as the first option.

^ This... You don't design plays to have your qb scramble as a first option even if he is a magician. You plan for it as a counter. RW's elusiveness, poise and intelligence allows him to be one of the best playmakers at countering a strong rush.
Our offensive line play has been inconsistent due to injuries, conditioning and talent level so PC was resigned to that fact and allowed RW to work his magic. Problems on the O line will undoubtedly continue this year.

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I guess my question is missed. I was wondering how much harder it is for new receivers to adapt to our system compared to others. Even if it is due to bad O-line (definitely some of this) or whatever. I know the route tree for our guys is simplistic (per what many have said in this thread) but does that balance out bad line play? Or do you think the learning curve is the same as other teams?

IMHO playing in the toughest division doesn't help as well as that we are a run first team and guys just don't get as many reps and catches. I seems to me it is tougher on our guys but I would like to hear more from you all. Thanks.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2n6hwyyc said:
They practice the scramble drill just like the Niners did with Joe Montana. It's a called play, but his first option is to pass. When Montana his Frank Clark in "The Play", that was a called scramble play. I think the recievers break off the routes at a certain point and go to hot reads--trying to get open wherever they can, working their way back to Wilson. I bet guys like Lockette LOVE the scramble drill. He's similar to Tate, who was great at it.

Looking forward to seeing Frank Clark in a Hawks uni.

Montana had Dwight Clark, if I recall.

:D

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Anthony!":afu0utz5 said:
Year of The Hawk":afu0utz5 said:

The running around is only part of our passing game. The biggest issue to be honest is out straight up passing game, plays, and route trees as has been said my numerous experts is very rudimentary. As a results we resort to the running around or as I have come to call it "Wilson Wonder Play" (WWP)way to much. If our pass plays/route trees were more in line with NFL level we would not need the WWP as much. Hopefully they will start using NFL level pass plays, and route trees.
They call this the"panic offense" I'd love to see us just drop back and throw it ! Last time we did something like that well I'm guessing you all know the result . :stirthepot:
I just don't think we really have a "real" passing game .

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1fgghbrz said:
Lords of Scythia":1fgghbrz said:

Looking forward to seeing Frank Clark in a Hawks uni.

Montana had Dwight Clark, if I recall.

:D
Ha ha--whoops.