Breaking down Tyler Lockett & interesting Tony Pauline notes

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Tony Pauline named Tyler Lockett the best return man in the draft back in March, stated Seattle would have to move up in round three to get him and called him a threat to score every time he has the ball (as a returner or a receiver).

The quotes are included in this piece as part of a larger breakdown.

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/is-tyler-l ... me-breaker

Improving the special teams ranking of #19 is distinctly achievable. If they can get back into the top ten the Seahawks could return to 2013 form overall. But it wasn’t going to just happen. They needed to do something about it.

Welcome, Tyler Lockett.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The more you post info on Clark and Lockett, the more I feel the Seahawks feel they got a pair of fringe first round talent.

Clark definitely has the athletic specs.

Like Kearly said Lockett feels like the Seahawks drafted Brandon Cooks with a 3rd rounder. Any of WRs drafted up until Jalen Strong could have been 1st rounders in my opinion especially in weaker drafts.

And this was such a deep draft for O-line, you have to consider that Poole and Glowinski could have been 3rd round talents in recent draft years especially a draft like 2011.

I think the Seahawks did well in hitting the strengths of the draft early on.

Pass rushers, WRs, and interior O-linemen were the strength of the draft and that is what the Seahawks picked up with thier first 4 picks and 6 of thier top 7.

Can't necessary hate that Seahawks took from the strength of the draft while feeling needs. They also got a pair of DBs with upside and play-making ability to compete for depth.

For those complaining about lack of a big WR in this draft,UDFA WR Austin Hill fits that profile and he has potential to be a steal if he can revert back to 2012 form.

I liked Hill with a 6th or 7th round pick. The 6'3 Hill rounds out the tall WR group and will compete with 6'5 Matthews, 6'2 Norwood, 6'3 McNiel, and 6'2 Lockette.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I actually believe this might be the ultimate WR type for Wilson. All that I have read, heard, and seen shows Lockett to be extremely effective creating seperation on his routes with his precise route running and "suddeness" as they say in his cuts. We hear so much from the all-22 guys how our WR's have so much trouble getting that seperation. Also, Wilson is normally very careful (for lack of a better word I will call it) with his passes. This results in 2 things, one good and one bad. It keeps his INT's very low and protects the ball making PC very happy. I think this can also lead to the criticism of him holding the ball too long looking for that "safe" pass. The latter also creates some of the issues with our Oline. The great seperation Lockett creates, and very quickly as he is fast also, will give Wilson that "safe" outlet.

Basically, I am thinking this one pick will help our passing game, Oline, and running game tremendously in addition to the, ohhhhh about 900 percent increase in our punt/kick return game. The more I look at stuff about him, the more I appreciate the pick.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'm excited about Lockett but I am also concerned his height and short arms are not the greatest fit for Wilsons tendency to sail passes high. As much as I love Wilson this is a fairly frequent occurrence with him and as good as Lockett is at getting open he is not good at going up and getting a fastball high and away so to speak.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3jdmddv4 said:
I'm excited about Lockett but I am also concerned his height and short arms are not the greatest fit for Wilsons tendency to sail passes high. As much as I love Wilson this is a fairly frequent occurrence with him and as good as Lockett is at getting open he is not good at going up and getting a fastball high and away so to speak.

"I saw it every game in college. Out of 70, 80 plays in a game, 95 percent of them I saw press man," Lockett said. "Because teams understood that if they just let me run off the ball, they weren't going to stop me."

They didn't stop him in press coverage, either.

Lockett pulled in 106 passes for the Wildcats for 1,515 yards and 11 touchdowns, all career highs. He was just as dynamic as a punt returner, averaging 19.1 yards on 21 returns.

This week, Lockett has shown a strong ability to get open on shorter routes with his quickness, something a talented cast of Senior Bowl wide receivers hasn't been able to show across the board. He's used to operating in close quarters. NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks was impressed with Lockett's opening practice Tuesday.

"I was impressed with his stop-start quickness and burst getting out of his breaks," Brooks wrote. "He has a knack for setting defenders up with a little wiggle at the top of routes, and his strong hands stood out when he plucked the ball effortlessly out of the air in drills."

Lockett emphasized that dealing with press coverage is nothing new for him.

"If you look at my film, they press me and play a safety over the top, or they press me and play cover two, they doubled me, they did all that type of stuff. When we played against Auburn, their guy pressed me every play with a safety over the top. When they play off me, that's what's new."

Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... enior-bowl

Also Lockett has a 35.5 vertical jump, Golden Tate had a 35 vertical jump just to compare

Natethegreat

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1w1g3kmq said:
Natethegreat":1w1g3kmq said:

"I saw it every game in college. Out of 70, 80 plays in a game, 95 percent of them I saw press man," Lockett said. "Because teams understood that if they just let me run off the ball, they weren't going to stop me."

Lockett pulled in 106 passes for the Wildcats for 1,515 yards and 11 touchdowns, all career highs. He was just as dynamic as a punt returner, averaging 19.1 yards on 21 returns.

This week, Lockett has shown a strong ability to get open on shorter routes with his quickness, something a talented cast of Senior Bowl wide receivers hasn't been able to show across the board. He's used to operating in close quarters. NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks was impressed with Lockett's opening practice Tuesday.

"I was impressed with his stop-start quickness and burst getting out of his breaks," Brooks wrote. "He has a knack for setting defenders up with a little wiggle at the top of routes, and his strong hands stood out when he plucked the ball effortlessly out of the air in drills."

"If you look at my film, they press me and play a safety over the top, or they press me and play cover two, they doubled me, they did all that type of stuff. When we played against Auburn, their guy pressed me every play with a safety over the top. When they play off me, that's what's new."

Also Lockett has a 35.5 vertical jump, Golden Tate had a 35 vertical jump just to compare
Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about what he can do, but none of his ability to get open will matter when a fastball just beyond his reach goes sailing by.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3ir4yg18 said:
theincrediblesok":3ir4yg18 said:
Natethegreat":3ir4yg18 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about what he can do, but none of his ability to get open will matter when a fastball just beyond his reach goes sailing by.

What i'm saying is Wilson wouldn't need to if Lockett can get separation like he does in college at the NFL level.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Remember people were saying the same thing about Paul Richardson and all he did was hauled everything in. Sure Lockett has some problems with catching them I think he will put in the work just like Richardson did and we hope for the best. I'm also hoping Wilson settles down on some of those high passes as well.

two dog

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1wv663la said:

He didn't exactly have Joe Montana throwing to him at Kansas State yet he had a record
setting career. His catch radius may be small but his ability to consistently catch the ball is outstanding.

One of my favorite things about Lockette is that he is, apparently, a film junkie and a gym rat.
Maybe when Russell gets to the VMAC at 6:00 a.m., someone will be waiting.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
two dog":buzsngl3 said:
Natethegreat":buzsngl3 said:

He didn't exactly have Joe Montana throwing to him at Kansas State yet he had a record
setting career. His catch radius may be small but his ability to consistently catch the ball is outstanding.

One of my favorite things about Lockette is that he is, apparently, a film junkie and a gym rat.
Maybe when Russell gets to the VMAC at 6:00 a.m., someone will be waiting.

"Lockett is comfortable with what he showed NFL scouts over the past four months, because he thinks he disproved criticism.

After catching 249 passes for 3,710 yards and 29 touchdowns, he was shocked to hear some experts label him as drop prone, because he mishandled a potential touchdown pass against Auburn and in the Alamo Bowl as a senior. So he went to the Senior Bowl and made one highlight-reel catch after another in practice.

He also had a hard time believing it when his agent told him some were calling him slow, coming off a college return career in which he totaled 2,684 yards and six touchdowns. So he went to the NFL combine and ran the 40 in 4.4 seconds.

“I had a couple of easy drops that 9.9 out of 10 times I make, and all of a sudden I can’t catch the ball?” Lockett said. “I had 106 catches as a senior. If you add up the throws between me and Jake (Waters), we had an 85-percent completion rate. Then to hear someone say I was slow.... I went out and proved to them I could catch the ball at the Senior Bowl, at the Combine and then again on pro day. I proved I could run. I did it it again and again.”

Source: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg ... 69459.html

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":6qpmqdue said:
"Lockett is comfortable with what he showed NFL scouts over the past four months, because he thinks he disproved criticism.

After catching 249 passes for 3,710 yards and 29 touchdowns, he was shocked to hear some experts label him as drop prone, because he mishandled a potential touchdown pass against Auburn and in the Alamo Bowl as a senior. So he went to the Senior Bowl and made one highlight-reel catch after another in practice.

He also had a hard time believing it when his agent told him some were calling him slow, coming off a college return career in which he totaled 2,684 yards and six touchdowns. So he went to the NFL combine and ran the 40 in 4.4 seconds.

“I had a couple of easy drops that 9.9 out of 10 times I make, and all of a sudden I can’t catch the ball?” Lockett said. “I had 106 catches as a senior. If you add up the throws between me and Jake (Waters), we had an 85-percent completion rate. Then to hear someone say I was slow.... I went out and proved to them I could catch the ball at the Senior Bowl, at the Combine and then again on pro day. I proved I could run. I did it it again and again.”

Source: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg ... 69459.html

Boy, doesn't sound like he'll fit in on this team at all...

Seahawks1Fan

Reaction score
Yeah, the guy that most 'experts' are comparing Lockett too is Antonio Brown which would be an amazing thing if it comes to fruition!!! :th2thumbs:
Our offense is really starting to look more explosive with the skill of Graham and the potential of Lockett!! :D

Hawks46

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":1umf75l3 said:
I actually believe this might be the ultimate WR type for Wilson. All that I have read, heard, and seen shows Lockett to be extremely effective creating seperation on his routes with his precise route running and "suddeness" as they say in his cuts. We hear so much from the all-22 guys how our WR's have so much trouble getting that seperation. Also, Wilson is normally very careful (for lack of a better word I will call it) with his passes. This results in 2 things, one good and one bad. It keeps his INT's very low and protects the ball making PC very happy. I think this can also lead to the criticism of him holding the ball too long looking for that "safe" pass. The latter also creates some of the issues with our Oline. The great seperation Lockett creates, and very quickly as he is fast also, will give Wilson that "safe" outlet.

Basically, I am thinking this one pick will help our passing game, Oline, and running game tremendously in addition to the, ohhhhh about 900 percent increase in our punt/kick return game. The more I look at stuff about him, the more I appreciate the pick.

Good post. Honestly with the addition of Lockett and Graham, Wilson has a guy that runs great routes and gets quick and noticeable separation, and a guy that runs great routes, is huge with a massive catch radius, and is adept at bailing his QB out.

The onus is going to be on Wilson to improve his passing game if he wants to be considered elite and hold out for a ton of money. He's damned good, don't get me wrong, but I'd put him down as an above average pure passer with great athletic skills, leadership and game management skills.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Hawks46":213kj6z1 said:
oregonhawkfan":213kj6z1 said:

Good post. Honestly with the addition of Lockett and Graham, Wilson has a guy that runs great routes and gets quick and noticeable separation, and a guy that runs great routes, is huge with a massive catch radius, and is adept at bailing his QB out.

The onus is going to be on Wilson to improve his passing game if he wants to be considered elite and hold out for a ton of money. He's damned good, don't get me wrong, but I'd put him down as an above average pure passer with great athletic skills, leadership and game management skills.

I think Wilson will look alot better with his receiving corp this year. Last year was telling he had no red zone threat. I mean if Marshawn has more receving TD than your #1 and #2 receivers combined and being the 3rd best receiver on your team in yardage then something is wrong. Kansas City Chiefs had the same issues as well but the biggest difference was that Russell was able to use his legs to score and get them closer to scoring range.

Seafan

Reaction score
His arms are an inch shorter than some. BFD. I'll take his quicks and YAC any day over the arm length. This guy is going to help the Hawks with field position and help move the chains.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1vnrs533 said:
Yoonhawk":1vnrs533 said:

Yeah but Brown was a 6th round pick, and we reached for Lockett in the 3rd . . .

I don't see reach at all.

Lockett was a late 2nd to mid 3rd round guy. Dependent on team fit -- but that's where his value lay. Obviously the run on WRs in the draft pushed all receivers up. Lockett seemed to go right about where one would have expected given the way the draft unfolded.

This draft was lean in first round talent, and very lean at a handful of positions (LB/DB). Positions that generally fill out the latter first and 2nd rounds. In a deeper or broader draft -- I'm sure Lockett is more of a late 3rd kind of prospect.

In this draft, he was picked right about where I would have thought.

titan3131

Reaction score
If lockett is 6"0 - 6"5 he is the top 5 picks in the draft.