Schneider mentioned front office was bummed...

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
...about missing out on a player in the draft. They really wanted Clark and Lockett but missed out on a third guy who they loved.

(On Tyler Lockett…) JS: “Just a need, a strong need at the punt return position. I was actually with his father in Kansas City, which is amazing and makes me feel very old, but Tyler is a phenomenal kid: academically, driven, captain, leader of his team—both of these guys are actually big-time leaders of their team. Those are some of the things that stood out with both of these guys—highly driven, just instincts and catching the ball. He is a great fielder. He’s incredible as a slot receiver inside. The week he had at the Senior Bowl was phenomenal. We just felt like he is the premier returner in this draft—there were three players we felt like we wanted to come out of the draft with, and we got two of them. I can’t tell you who the other one was, it’s kind of a bummer.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-frank-clark-tyler-lockett-and-the-nfl-draft/

Interested who that might have been...

OP
OP
H

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1imgkhb5 said:
My guess would be Ali Marpet -- legit center/guard prospect with the best athleticism in this draft class among the linemen.

Could be, he was drafted 2 spots before Clark.

Which is probably why they drafted Clark in the 2nd round. Had Marpet been available, they could have selected him, then taken Clark later on.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Maxx Williams ....

Him and Jimmy coulda been amazing together

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Marpet.

Tampa Bay jumped two spots ahead of us and took Marpet for themselves by trading with Indianapolis.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
TB notes in MMQB suggested Tampa Bay weren't necessarily jumping above anyone to get Marpet. They wanted to make sure they got him and didn't want to wait. Think there's a quote from the GM saying they probably could've stayed put and got him but they wanted to make absolutely sure.

kearly

Reaction score
The quote came from Friday, and he adds "bummer", meaning that he had already missed out on this third player by Friday night. So we can deduce that it was a player selected on Day two.

There were rumors about Seattle moving up early in the 2nd round. It's nothing against Mitch Morse but he's a really average center prospect, he's basically Stefen Wisniewski 2.0 in terms of performance projection. Wisniewski was also a 2nd round pick in an iffy OL class, and could have been had in FA for 1 year, $2.5 million. I just don't see Morse as being a guy Seattle would be excited about getting so much that they'd deal a lot to get him, or be bummed that they missed him.

Fisher I could see it. DGB I could see it. Assuming the trade up rumors in round 2 were true, you'd have to think it was a player selected in the top half of round two. Seattle drafts for upside and those were the two upside picks in that range that fit Seattle. But who knows, sometimes Seattle surprises. Their love of Frank Clark susprises me, his 4.79 combine speed and power rusher tape flies in the face of their previous pass rush model.

One of the things I like about Jerry Jones is that he'll actually tell you the players he wanted but didn't get. I understand why JS didn't, since he didn't want to tip his hand going into day three.

chawx

Reaction score
Definitely Jamis Winston. We need someone to replace Russell when we let him bolt next year in FA ...

hahahaha sorry, i couldn't keep a straight face....

mikeak

Reaction score
Interesting with JS quote is that he says we really needed the return guy but then goes on to say

"He’s incredible as a slot receiver inside."

So it is to me clear that they expect him to work his way into the offensive rotation as a receiver and not just return. Been a few posts here about how it "cost to much" for a return guy

253hawk

Reaction score
chawx":1gxc30hn said:
Definitely Jamis Winston. We need someone to replace Russell when we let him bolt next year in FA ...

hahahaha sorry, i couldn't keep a straight face....

Well, Winston does have a no-baseball clause in his contract...

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd think it was one of, DGB, Devin Smith, Marpet or Fisher.

Seems pretty widely speculated we tried to move up in the 2nd round. If that's true, then I'd have to go DGB, Smith or Fisher. Since they were projected to go significantly higher than #63. I'd guess it was DGB. Just odd that there were so few trades consummated this draft.

If it was a player we wanted around #63, then my money is on Marpet. Particularly given how OL were sliding hard to the late 2nd round.

Fisher and Marpet really seem like typical athletic OL types that we ultimately went with (outside of Poole). In fact, the selection of Poole really kind of strikes me as a 'plan B' option. A guy definitely targeted as a potential Hawk, but one that is pretty clearly not like the others.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Why cant js say, is it that much of a big deal? Waiver issues maybe if player becomes available?