PC on NBC: "Bruce Irvin isn't going anywhere"

Jameson

Reaction score
"I don't know who started that rumor... Bruce knows we want him here..."

There you go.

kidhawk

Reaction score
He had an interview on ESPN as well. I'd made a post about that but decided to delete it and post in here instead

Obviously said he's excited about our picks but he was asked about Irvin and Wilson

On Irvin he said we were not trying to trade him and we want him here.

Wilson was pretty much what we already know and that they are waiting on a response from Wilson's side.

kearly

Reaction score
Very cool that PC actually met personally with Irvin to assure him. That matters a hell of a lot more than anything Pete would say to the media.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It makes sense.

It has nothing to do with Irvin the player, but that position for the Seahawks isn't worth 7.75 million next year.

Smart and ethical of Pete to sit down with Bruce and talk to him. Also, it should light a fire under Bruce as it's now a contract year.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
I think once Wilson gets sorted they will deal with Bruce and Bobby.

Polk738

Reaction score
I feel like Bruce is still coming into the LB position and will only continue to get better. According to PFF he's ranked 11th at OLB which is pretty good for someone converting into a new position.

titan3131

Reaction score
order of priority

russ
bobby
irvin
okung
sweezy

turbo

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hawks46":3oikrp5r said:
It makes sense.

It has nothing to do with Irvin the player, but that position for the Seahawks isn't worth 7.75 million next year.

Smart and ethical of Pete to sit down with Bruce and talk to him. Also, it should light a fire under Bruce as it's now a contract year.
Given the fact that Houston just extended 3-4 OLB Whitney Mercilus to a 4-year, $26M total ($10.81M guaranteed, $5.25M signing bonus) contract the bar has been set for Bruce Irvin's contract at $6.5M ave./year.

Irvin and Mercilus have similar stats. Respectively, (Irvin first)

Games played: 43 vs. 47
Games started: 25 vs. 33
Forced fumbles: 3 vs. 4
INTs: 3 vs 0
Sacks: 16.5 vs. 18
Tackles: 74 vs. 79

It will be interesting to see if the Hawks can afford a similar contract along with the existing contract for KJ... and the one that Bobby will demand.

Reminds me of a similar situation the previous regime got into with their LB corps back in the mid-2000s.... 2006/7?... with Julian Peterson, LeRoy Hill and Lofa.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I see not picking up his 5th year option as a motivational strategy, as well as sound football business acumen. Bruce is either going to go off, have a contract year, put in a ton of great work for us but be too expensive to keep around, or we'll get him locked up long term with less of a cap hit next year because we wisely did not pick up his option. Shrewd business.