LJP re-signed

hawknation2015

Reaction score
LJP provides more competition at center and even LG. Lewis was ahead of Jeanpierre last season. Like Bailey, Jeanpierre struggles as a run blocker, although I would actually put Jeanpierre's run blocking ahead of Bailey's. I imagine Jeanpierre will be fighting for a roster spot against some of our rookie draft selections.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Jeanpierre was with the team until Sept. 3, when he was placed on injured reserve and then waived with an injury settlement. At that time, Unger was healthy and Stephen Schilling was the backup center.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1x165w8y said:
hawknation2015":1x165w8y said:
LJP provides more competition at center and even LG. Lewis was ahead of Jeanpierre last season. Like Bailey, Jeanpierre struggles as a run blocker, although I would actually put Jeanpierre's run blocking ahead of Bailey's. I imagine Jeanpierre will be fighting for a roster spot against some of our rookie draft selections.

Jeanpierre got hurt early on in the season, wasn't he listed as the 2nd string center before that though?

Yes, he was placed on IR and given an injury settlement. But then after he recovered from his neck injury, he was re-signed in November. He started the next three games and then lost his position to Lewis, who started the final two weeks of the season ahead of Jeanpierre. Jeanpierre played in those games in a reserve role and was not listed on the injury reports at that time:
http://arizonasports.com/40/1792294/Wee ... -Cardinals

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Good, we at least have a fallback option if they can't get who they want in the draft.

Worst case scenario is Patrick Lewis and LJP battling it out in camp and I could live with that. It's what we had for most of the last 2 years, anyway.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Not that I had a doubt, but Seahawks confirmed the signing

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/590277547499266048[/tweet]

Definitely need all the center/guard help/depth we can get

bigskydoc

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2sjj7874 said:
He started the next three games and then lost his position to Lewis, who started the final two weeks of the season ahead of Jeanpierre. Jeanpierre played in those games in a reserve role and was not listed on the injury reports at that time:
http://arizonasports.com/40/1792294/Wee ... -Cardinals

IIRC, at the time the exact reason for bringing Lewis in over LJP for those games was a little unclear. Reports from the team hinted that it was more due to specific matchups rather than feeling like Lewis was better overall than LJP.

I feel pretty comfortable with whichever one wins the training camp battle, and can remain healthy, as our starting center going into the season.

-bsd

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This is a great signing.

I'm not going to judge LJP solely on his 2014 season. He was dealing with a neck injury and missed the first two months. I can only imagine what that does to sap your workout and mental preparation.

He was solid in 2013 in his spot starts and has been a versatile, valued linemen since 2011.

I think this is a great opportunity for him to go all-in after what was a disappointing contract season for him.

To now take this chance that he has now that he's out of Unger's shadow and just run with it. Always competing, of course.

And I think the player his teammates call Lempedia will rise up to the occasion and make Patrick Lewis and all other competitors work thier butt off to win the starting position.

I felt Lem back in 2013 looked much more physical than Unger did. If he can iron more wrinkles out, I think he can be more than serviceable. Toughness and swagger will be key here. Unger wasn't physically over-helming but what made him successful was that he was smart and tough-as-nails, not afraid to get dirty or bloody.

I think Lem's mental game will be developed and considered a strength if his Lempedia fame still holds water. So the smarts and know-how should be there. If he can bring the blue collar mentality and the nasty demeanor, I think he will be a solid starter if he wins the role.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Solid. I breathe a sigh of relief knowing he and Lewis are in the fold. He's not a Pro Bowler, but he's reliable and knows the system.

nanomoz

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2szr439x said:
hawknation2015":2szr439x said:

Jeanpierre got hurt early on in the season, wasn't he listed as the 2nd string center before that though?

Yes. For like, three years. LJP has been solid in the past. He started around half a dozen games in 2011.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that Bailey doesn't struggle as a run blocker. He's actually quite good in run blocking and in pass protection at LG. At RT with a weeks worth of reps before a game he definitely struggled in both run blocking and pass protection, but those are entirely different animals.

LJP is a good signing though. He knows what to do on every snap. Whether he gets results or not is another story, but this is quality depth at multiple positions for sure.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1xi2mhc0 said:
Good, we at least have a fallback option if they can't get who they want in the draft.

Worst case scenario is Patrick Lewis and LJP battling it out in camp and I could live with that. It's what we had for most of the last 2 years, anyway.
Agreed.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
original poster":3uw43fjk said:
This is a very good signing.

Definitely takes some pressure off the draft IMO.
And that is the key to this signing.

Having pre-draft options on the roster at C and LG allows Pete and John to go in any number of directions with this draft. I like it.

With our compensatory picks we have 5 picks in rounds 2-4... and I suspect we'll still draft two O-linemen out of those 5 picks... likely a G/C and a swing tackle.