Elite

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
As with many old axioms, I believe that the definition of elite may need to be reevaluated when it comes to Russell
Wilson. One definition for axiom is as follows:
A self-evident principle or one that is accepted as true without proof as the basis for argument; a postulate.
When I looked at the various definitions of elite, I found this:
The best or most skilled members of a group.

Using this criteria to determine eliteness, I would argue that RW is the most elite of them all. The predetermined elite ones, manning, Rodgers, Brady, etc all possess elite skills that are widely recognized as the skills to be historically good. Wilson has essentially taken that predetermined and antiquated notion of eliteness and redefined it. If we look at the definition of elite that I have provided as a basis for his determination as elite, then I would argue that he is elite in his own right. No other QB has been this successful with the skill set that he possesses.

The farthest back one goes to find a QB with his skills would be Fran Tarkenton. Similar in scrambling abilities and size. More recent comparisons would be kaepernick and Newton. None of these QBs have had his level of success.

When eliteness is pigeonholed into one type of skill set, then it really diminishes the abilities of those who excell at their position with a different set. No other QB in the history of the league has had the early level of success as Russell Wilson.

Is he elite as a 6'5" drop back passer? No. Is he elite as a stay in the pocket downfield passer? No. Is he elite as a QB who challenges on every play what a defense can do? Yes. Is he elite at avoiding the pass rush? Yes. Is he elite as a leader of men? Undeniably yes.

Rocket

Reaction score
I believe the corner surprised the passer. He ain't Gawd, he's human.
I saw no lolly's.
YMMV, of course.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Rocket":158yodkp said:
I saw no lolly's.
YMMV, of course.

You are correct, he is human. Unfortunately, many on this board would disagree.

BigMeach

Reaction score
LymonHawk":w12bsl4p said:
Rocket":w12bsl4p said:
I saw no lolly's.
YMMV, of course.

You are correct, he is human. Unfortunately, many on this board would disagree.

Obviously, cause he's a Robot.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I think we just like playing linguist for a moment when the defining of "elite" and our homerism collide to form one singular purpose.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":25bqfjna said:
Elite QBs do not throw lolly-pop interceptions in the SB.

You are correct...they throw two of them.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Can anyone help me....Im looking for somewhere on this board I might be able to discuss the levels of Wilsons skill and ability..

RiverDog

Reaction score
I wouldn't call the interception a "lolly", which to me implies throwing a wounded duck. The ball was slightly misplaced, Russell did not anticipate the DB jumping the route, the receiver did not go aggressively after the ball, and most importantly, it was a poor play call to throw a pass into the teeth of a compressed defense in the center of the field to a receiver that did not excel on those types of routes. Lots of places to lay blame, including but not limited to RW.

As far as characterizing Russell as elite, I don't particularly like classifying players into such categories but nor will I object to the use of that term in relation to RW. Given our team, he's the perfect quarterback and I wouldn't trade him for anyone else.

A

Anonymous

To me, the word "elite" refers to an individual who is completely self-sufficient, requiring little (if any) help from another to get a job done or to simply survive. I equate it to business success, whereas an operator has the talents and resources to not only get the job done profitably, but can weather the occasional storm.

That being said, I would consider Russell as worthy of that status. He has proven that he can not only perform his duties at a high level, but does not show any inclination to lean on any one player or players in order to succeed. Sure, it requires that those around him all do their particular jobs on the field, but even when a teammate whiffs on a block or is driven off a route, Russ can still make things work.

In a perfect world, a title such as elite (to me) is not necessary. Rather, there are those that either can, or cannot. Russell is among those that has clearly demonstrated he "can".

A

Anonymous

peachesenregalia":2dblhajd said:
I'm so glad this thread was started. It's a topic that we haven't really touched on yet this offseason.

Well then, perhaps some of our long-time and most-beloved posters such as yourself should attempt to rectify the situation.

Vetamur

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":171ompsj said:
peachesenregalia":171ompsj said:
I'm so glad this thread was started. It's a topic that we haven't really touched on yet this offseason.

Well then, perhaps some of our long-time and most-beloved posters such as yourself should attempt to rectify the situation.

Peaches thing is more wide receivers. I think he should start a thread on what a #1 receiver is and why Seattle needs one. Another subject in dire need of some attention.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3czh9bxz said:

NFL caliber WR's do not get bitch slapped off the line of scrimmage for an easy pick/rub block.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hp87uue said:
LymonHawk":2hp87uue said:

NFL caliber WR's do not get bitch slapped off the line of scrimmage for an easy pick/rub block.

Maybe we should start a thread on what is considered an 'NFL Caliber WR.'?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3b2v1iud said:
Sgt. Largent":3b2v1iud said:
LymonHawk":3b2v1iud said:

Impossible without hawksurething around.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3qz2wfop said:
LymonHawk":3qz2wfop said:
Sgt. Largent":3qz2wfop said:
LymonHawk":3qz2wfop said:

Impossible without hawksurething around.

True, true...

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Just my opinion here, but this business of polluting threads with completely off-topic crap in order to express your dislike for it is bullshit and should be banned on this site.

First of all, this is the Seahawks forum, where even tangentially-related topics routinely get sent to the NFL forum, so you have no business posting off-topic non-Seahawks related information here.

Second, thread pollution suppresses discussion, and discussion is the fundamental point of this board.

Third, it's massively disrespectful to the poster. You may not respect the poster for beating the dead horse again, but you always have the option to report the thread to the moderators as redundant, or simply ignore it.

I've been in the position where a thread I was interested in was hijacked, and as a member of this forum since the 1990's it seriously pissed me off. I didn't participate here for a year because of it and other childish behaviour that seems to pass around here.

You may be some bad-ass of the board, but it doesn't give you the right to crap all over someone's thread just because you don't like it. It's bullying behaviour and should not be tolerated.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Asparagus?

Elite is an arbitrary word with little exact definition, except of course that elite typewriters produce 12 characters per inch. Anyone proposing redefining a word that is an eye of the beholder word to begin with should be beaten with asparagus until they recant.

I would have accepted top 2, top 5, or top 10 as a category. I also would have accepted Does He Scare the Shit Out of Defensive Coordinators as a valid category for defining quarterbacks.