Settle my debate...was the SB interception 100% legal?

Willyeye

Reaction score
I'd like some clarification from someone who actually knows the rules. I'm having a debate with a friend, and I need some help. In the SB, with the Hawks on the 1-yard line, was there still a 5-yard rule? Are the defenders allowed to block 4 yards into the end zone? Also, I get that when both the coverage guy and the receiver are going for the ball, contact is okay. But is a defender allowed to use his body to knock a receiver out of the play and then catch the ball? Please help me...thanks!

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
He was making a play on the ball. It was 100% legal. If he had hit Lockette and not attempted to make a play on the ball then it's pass interference.

Jville

Reaction score
It is legal.

Leading with a shoulder to establish position to attack the football is good technique. It is what most coaches teach with that kind of angle (moving toward the ball) to work with.

Edit: In the season opener verses the Packers, a Packer defender intercepted a Russell Wilson pass intended for Zack Miller using the same technique. Although on that occasion, Zack recovered quickly enough to knock the ball lose for an incomplete interception. Heck of a play by both players.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think the key here is that the contact was shoulder-to-shoulder and occurred while both players were making a play at the ball. They both have equal right to it at that point. If Butler had ran through Lockette's back or pushed him from the front, you have a better case for PI or illegal contact. Lockette would be guilty of OPI if he did any of those things to Butler as well.

I think it's possible that Lockette flopped to draw a call, and that was huge mistake given Butler's positioning.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 5-yard rule applies to passes into the end zone? I get the shoulder-to-shoulder contact explanation...what if a defender had blatantly pushed the receiver with both hands and then caught the ball...that would be DPI, right?

mikeak

Reaction score
DavidSeven":jvvhjb7p said:
I think the key here is that the contact was shoulder-to-shoulder and occurred while both players were making a play at the ball. They both have equal right to it at that point. If Butler had ran through Lockette's back or pushed him from the front, you have a better case for PI or illegal contact. Lockette would be guilty of OPI if he did any of those things to Butler as well.

I think it's possible that Lockette flopped to draw a call, and that was huge mistake given Butler's positioning.

This is a very good explanation - thanks

The one above is wrong in the sense that contact isn't allowed just because you are trying to make a play on the ball as you still can't run down a receiver

Jville

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1zyjza3c said:

Butler had an outstanding game prior to his interception. He can present tight coverage and really close on the ball. I was very impressed with his Superbowl play .... very quick in his anticipation and burst.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":28l0cu75 said:

Just looked to me like was totally shocked that Butler beat him to the ball, so he wasn't ready for the contact............which is why he got knocked on his ass.

Jville

Reaction score
Willyeye":320g9smk said:
Does anyone know if the 5-yard rule applies to passes into the end zone? I get the shoulder-to-shoulder contact explanation...what if a defender had blatantly pushed the receiver with both hands and then caught the ball...that would be DPI, right?

I'm not entirely certain about the 5-yard rule into the end zone. I'm thinking it doesn't extend into the end zone.

Your latter comment is correct. Pushing off can draw a flag as a judgement call ..... except, of course, for those "Hail Mary" exceptions.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Jville":uhxpubz8 said:
DavidSeven":uhxpubz8 said:

Butler had an outstanding game prior to his interception. He can present tight coverage and really close on the ball. I was very impressed with his Superbowl play .... very quick in his anticipation and burst.

I was very impressed with his cheating trip when Lockette beat him all ends up.

Jville

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":nreb58zj said:
Jville":nreb58zj said:
DavidSeven":nreb58zj said:

I was very impressed with his cheating trip when Lockette beat him all ends up.

I forgot about that. He definitely got beat and then got away with a foul the refs failed to call. Good point.

Tical21

Reaction score
5 yards is 5 yards regardless of where it happens.

netskier

Reaction score
I think Butler has a good chance of becoming a really good player, and may explain why they were willing to let Revis go.

mikeak

Reaction score
Tical21":3gxxb51e said:
5 yards is 5 yards regardless of where it happens.

Yes but it also applies to holding so prior to the pass being thrown. It doesn't apply to after the pass is thrown and Pass Interference rules

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":21fuj8i8 said:
DavidSeven":21fuj8i8 said:

Just looked to me like was totally shocked that Butler beat him to the ball, so he wasn't ready for the contact............which is why he got knocked on his ass.

No way did Lockette "flop" on that play. He got knocked on his ass. Lockette had NO IDEA the DB was anywhere near. Lockette was far more worried about the linebacker he DID see. Lockette was also trying to baby the ball in, very aware that this was a huge play, and concentrating on not screwing it up. Lockette never saw Butler coming until after Butler knocked him on his ass.