TE Luke Willson interview 3/30/15

Jville

Reaction score
461308162_10.jpg

Audio & Print link >>> [urltargetblank]http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2015/03/30/luke-willson-on-the-steve-sandmeyer-show/[/urltargetblank]

rideaducati

Reaction score
With all the attention going to Jimmy, I think Luke is gonna have a pretty big year.

Quorthon13

Reaction score
Yes!!! Moar "Canadian Roar".... thats what we have been calling his TD celebration...

Now if only Jon Ryan could do it too... the discount DBL check was cool when he threw a TD, but a double "Canadian Roar" would have been even cooler. ;-)

Throwdown

Reaction score
rideaducati":1dn0cut7 said:
With all the attention going to Jimmy, I think Luke is gonna have a pretty big year.

Don't tell me that, he drops the ball enough already

original poster

Reaction score
Throwdown":358ny1t0 said:
rideaducati":358ny1t0 said:

Exactly what I was thinking!

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've killed Willson on this board as much as anyone but even I'm a little excited about Graham and WIllson being on the field at the same time and how they might use both of these guys. I'm sure like Throwdown, after the first drop all enthusiasm will be lost. Lol.

Canhawks

Reaction score
If I were Luke I would invest into a Jugs machine,crank it up to full speed and use it a 1000x a day in the off season.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Canhawks":1zdj2ez6 said:
If I were Luke I would invest into a Jugs machine,crank it up to full speed and use it a 1000x a day in the off season.

If I was Luke I would marry a Jugs machine...........but spend all my time with one of those machines that throws balls to you.

Clayfighter

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":2oy4ceyu said:
Canhawks":2oy4ceyu said:

If I was Luke I would marry a Jugs machine...........but spend all my time with one of those machines that throws balls to you.

:bow:

Throwdown

Reaction score
Canhawks":1fy1ur3f said:

Man it's not even that, his drops come from when he's about to get hit. It's so annoying to watch, I really think he's afraid of contact and it stands out when lil Doug Baldwin catches the ball knowing he's gonna take a hard fall or gonna get cracked

hawknation2015

Reaction score
He has as much potential as any other player on our roster with two years of experience or less. Truly freakish athleticism for a TE. Needs to improve the consistency of his hands and focus to avoid drops this off-season. Also must continue to improve as an in-line blocker. Both are key.

I could envision him competing for a starting position in the base offense if he works hard to improve those elements of his game. Jimmy Graham I see as our starting Split End, our go-to #1 receiver outside. He is, after all, a big WR not a true blocking TE. Trying to turn him into an in-line blocker in our offense would be like attempting to fit a square peg into a round hole. If Graham plays SE, Baldwin moves back to his natural flanker position and splits time in the slot with Graham. That leaves the possibility that we start someone like Willson at the TE position.

Graham-Baldwin-Willson would give us a dynamic three receiving options in the base offense. Kearse would play flanker when they go three wide with Graham and Baldwin alternating between slot and SE. Richardson gives them another threat at flanker when he returns from injury, as the eventual replacement for Kearse's role. Until Richardson returns midseason, Lockette can take his limited snaps.

Bottom line, no one should be writing off Willson just yet. The potential to start this season is there for the taking. He just needs to seize this opportunity by the balls and not let up. 3rd year is when we tend to see the biggest gains in a player's development.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Throwdown":3ctcshpj said:
rideaducati":3ctcshpj said:

He'll be better, or he'll be gone soon enough. He was targeted 40 times last year and he dropped 4 passes. He was sixth in the league for yards/reception last season and with Jimmy drawing the better cover guy, Luke could have a good season.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Throwdown":a5a80z2j said:
Canhawks":a5a80z2j said:

Man it's not even that, his drops come from when he's about to get hit. It's so annoying to watch, I really think he's afraid of contact and it stands out when lil Doug Baldwin catches the ball knowing he's gonna take a hard fall or gonna get cracked

This is what frustrates me. I agree with the above poster on his potential, he really does have all the potential in the world but he is afraid of catching the ball in traffic and/or with contact coming then it won't materialize. I think they use him in safer situations this year and he has some monster plays like he did this year. I love him as a small piece of the puzzle just don't trust him in big situations because of the drops.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I wonder if his fear of contact comes from being injury-prone in college. Spending so much time on the bench thinking your NFL dreams are down the tube has to have a lasting effect.

Luke needs to spend some more time with the Sports Psychologist that Paul Allen spends so much money on. It''s there Mr Willson! Take advantage of it!

Canhawks

Reaction score
Throwdown":2439vbo3 said:
Canhawks":2439vbo3 said:

I agree, to me there seems to be two common denominators when he drops the ball,traffic and extra zip on the ball.I could be wrong,but I think he would benefit from seeing the ball coming at him FAST in practice.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Luke Willson was very raw when they drafted him. He has learned and improved a lot since arriving in Seattle. I am not hung up over 4 drops in his second season. I think there is clearly room for improvement in the chemistry between Wilson and Willson. Trust and confidence resides on a two way street. And, the best is yet to come from both Luke and Russell.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Could you line up two TE as WRs? I'm just salivating at the thought of Jimmy and Luke on the outside, Matthews in the slot, with Lynch in the backfield, those are some tall targets for Russell.