Russell on New contract....

sutz

Reaction score
He's got nothing to worry about. If he gets to next year without a new deal, he's gonna have GM's throwing hookers through his windows to entice him away.

:)

Tical21

Reaction score
If the Hawks want to get something done with him, it is costing them a bunch of millions by not getting it done this year. Russell will be a pending free agent with at least 10 teams willing to write a blank check for his services. Not going to get any kind of discount from him next year. They need to take advantage of the fact that he wants to get a bunch of money me now, rather than living on 1 mil for another year. The closer this gets to next offseason, the more the leverage falls into Wilson's court.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Tical21":181agwp9 said:
If the Hawks want to get something done with him, it is costing them a bunch of millions by not getting it done this year. Russell will be a pending free agent with at least 10 teams willing to write a blank check for his services. Not going to get any kind of discount from him next year. They need to take advantage of the fact that he wants to get a bunch of money me now, rather than living on 1 mil for another year. The closer this gets to next offseason, the more the leverage falls into Wilson's court.

They know. Leads me to believe that his agent is looking for a big, big contract now. Russell will make a fortune in the open market. He could wind up playing on the East coast, closer to home and I don't think that's far-fetched. Doesn't mean that he doesn't love it here but these guys are coming to us from somewhere else that they called home. Need to give him a good enough reason to stay. It is possible for him to think he can win championships elsewhere. Without Russ, where do we wind up in this division? He knows and his agent knows... can't let it go beyond this off-season.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think the fan speculation over this has become a bit overblown, nationally speaking.

I think any new deal we see is going to see paid handsomely but I also doubt Russ is going to handcuff the team dramatically especially the short-term when the team is in a dominant window of Championship opportunity.

I also feel in the future, Russ will restructure his contract in ways that could free up space to allow the Seahawks to go after an elite talent If the opportunity presents It self.

I also think getting an elite physical talent like Jimmy Graham his important to the total franchise QB evaluation.

I think we know what Russ's ceiling with an elite running game and elite defense but we also saw his limitations with a mediocre WR group and O-Line.

I just think Russ is smart enough to understand that the Seahawks will always put elite defense and running game first. And his own success dependent on that winning formula. Which means that in order to invest in WR and O-Line talent he's going have to make small sacrifices here and there to help him max out his potential and ability.

We'll see though. Something will have to give.

Russ either signs for elite QB money and has to earn Championships through hard work and luck.

Or he'll meet the team in the middle and insure the team can keep the pieces around him that will keep the team strong around him.

Tical21

Reaction score
I dunno that the media is overblowing this. This should be done by now. If we value Wilson and think he is vital, this should be done. He never should have gotten to this point without a contract. I personally think the front office underestimated what he would be willing to take, and spent their money on KJ Wright and Jimmy Graham and Cary Williams when they should have made sure they wrapped up Wilson first.

Again, I personally wouldn't spend huge money on him, but I have to think the front office thinks differently. I don't think they have the money to sign him right now. Are they gambling that they'll be able to sign him next year? Do they already have a confirmation from him that he'll re-sign next year? Has Paul just agreed to put Russ in his will? At least we have KJ Wright all wrapped up though.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Tical21":h4fr4zme said:
I dunno that the media is overblowing this. This should be done by now. If we value Wilson and think he is vital, this should be done. He never should have gotten to this point without a contract. I personally think the front office underestimated what he would be willing to take, and spent their money on KJ Wright and Jimmy Graham and Cary Williams when they should have made sure they wrapped up Wilson first.

Again, I personally wouldn't spend huge money on him, but I have to think the front office thinks differently. I don't think they have the money to sign him right now. Are they gambling that they'll be able to sign him next year? Do they already have a confirmation from him that he'll re-sign next year? Has Paul just agreed to put Russ in his will? At least we have KJ Wright all wrapped up though.

Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman were all signed Late April/Early May.
Sounds to me like the FO has a timeline.

Rushing this for the sake of rushing it makes no sense.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tical21":1o3ztt1o said:

Russ isn't going anywhere, like it or not.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Tical21":hy6vmyjc said:

I've watched over 172 hours of Russell Wilson on and off the field and thats why I truly belieeeeeve he will stay in Seattle even if another team is offering more than what Seattle offers. He will not pull a Golden Tate.

That's why I truly BELIEEEEVE Russell Wilson could truly be one of the greatest quarterbacks OF ALL TIME

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Tical21":1lfdxnsf said:

I don't see at all why it should be done. What is there to worry about at this point? Push comes to shove we franchise him for a number close to what he's worth because he had a great season. If he gets hurt or regresses atleast we didn't sign him to 100mil guaranteed. If Russel is cool with it him playing out his contract seems like the best option.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
He single handedly won a superbowl and single handedly lost one.....so we should go cheap on him. :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :twisted:

shawnsim

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2oe3c06v said:
He single handedly won a superbowl and single handedly lost one.....so we should go cheap on him. :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :twisted:

I love sarcasm.

Its so sarcastic.

Seafan

Reaction score
Tical21":3bihgbru said:

Not even close, dude. It's all on RW. If he plays out his contract he will be tagged. He will have lost about $20million and taken a huge risk if he is injured in the next 2 seasons. It would be in the Hawk's best interest for him to play out his contract and sign a one year tender.

Tical21

Reaction score
Seafan":3qkcu0ft said:
Tical21":3qkcu0ft said:

Not even close, dude. It's all on RW. If he plays out his contract he will be tagged. He will have lost about $20million and taken a huge risk if he is injured in the next 2 seasons. It would be in the Hawk's best interest for him to play out his contract and sign a one year tender.
I don't think failing to sign the quarterback, creating tension and having him holdout until halfway through the preseason is a prudent way to proceed.

This isn't Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman. If you piss them off, you have to replace your free safety or cornerback. I think almost everyone here agrees Russell is infinitely more valuable to our future success than either of those two guys.

Either Russell is significantly overvaluing himself, the team is significantly undervaluing him, or the team believes they will be able to lock him up next year regardless of whether or not they reward him earlier than obligated to.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks are proceeding correctly. What you don't seem to understand is RW will only play for the team the Hawks want him to play. He's completely under the Hawk's control as all franchise QBs. Your premise was RW not wanting to sign and to wait and I said that would not be in Wilson's best interest. The Hawks have not failed at anything. Your idea that the Hawks are slacking here is silly. For some reason you think RW has some kind of leverage and he does not. The only tension is in your head.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Yeah, kinda funny how every year we hear this stuff about various players. The media says we should have signed them, OMG!!!!!

Then Schneider or Carroll say in an interview that they're working on their own timeline, and the deals always happen shortly before the draft or training camp. And then the media and the panicking fans go on to panic about something else.

RW will get signed, and it'll happen after they're done with everyone else in FA, just like Schneider has repeatedly said they would do.

You can panic about it, but the whole thing seems kinda silly.