Pleased with the focus on DL now

Hyak

Reaction score
With all of the hand-ringing about the OL without Unger and a WR, I have thought that DL depth was a huge issue for this team.

The starters on paper are fine as well as Hill. Beyond that, totally unproven. They need to get back to having a great rotation. It's possible that Marsh, Scruggs, and seemingly Williams can step up but that's a huge leap forward from what they have shown.

Adding some immediate help at DE and DT is a welcome site.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Bring it. Few vets for non guaranteed contracts and draft a few mid round guys and let the competition for a roster spot begin.

mikeak

Reaction score
OL becomes less of an issue with Richardsson, Graham and Lynch

Opponents will need to respect the middle of the field, split out TE and a star receiver. Quick passes / runs against 6 players in the box will buy less pressure on the line.

Of course if they can't hold 3 players back then definitely an issue...

titan3131

Reaction score
My thing is that cable can create workable Olinemen from 5-7th rounders.

Post JGtrade we need DLine depth. We need another MONSTER leo so we dont have to have avril over there so much. Remember when him and bennett lined up next to another? Nothing could stop them.

We need more Big guys, Im down for williams back, but also we need a starter quality depth past hill. And we never know mebane might be in his last hurrah from age,injuries or cap casualty.

our motto is always compete and we need it on the D

hawknation2015

Reaction score
mikeak":e1hkrahb said:

Opponents will need to respect the middle of the field, split out TE and a star receiver. Quick passes / runs against 6 players in the box will buy less pressure on the line.

I agree with Graham (quick passing game) and Lynch (tackle breaking machine) covering up our blocking deficiencies. But Richardson has done nothing yet and is still recovering from a 2nd ACL tear.

Wilson, as the most elusive QB in the league, also greatly compensates for poor blocking.

mikeak

Reaction score
Yes RW compensates

IMHO we win the Super Bowl with Richardson. He played great at the end, snatched balls out of the air and was becoming a go-to receiver. Graham will help that even more

Don't get me wrong - I still think we need OL help just not as desperately as before Graham

hawknation2015

Reaction score
mikeak":3cyurd39 said:
Yes RW compensates

IMHO we win the Super Bowl with Richardson. He played great at the end, snatched balls out of the air and was becoming a go-to receiver. Graham will help that even more

Don't get me wrong - I still think we need OL help just not as desperately as before Graham

Richardson had trouble creating separation all year. Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt he would have made much of a difference against that New England secondary. I hope he comes back strong mid-season and improves in all areas of his game.

GLio14

Reaction score
Always thought Cassius Marsh can be a cog in our defense for years. A shame he got injured last season though. High hopes for him this season.

Hawks46

Reaction score
What i don't understand is why we're bringing people like Chris Canty and Anthony Spencer in, but haven't resigned Kevin Williams. Yes, I know they play different positions, but Williams is solid depth and versatile. He also proved himself last year.

DL depth is an issue, and signing Williams is an immediate fix.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
mikeak":n0gq0skr said:

Less of an issue, but still an issue. Saints had Graham but lack of a complete OL hurt them. Exhibit A: Trading Graham for Unger and the equivalent of a second rounder.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hendo66":2pf1cnoz said:
I still have hopes for P Rich but calling him a star receiver is a bit much.
I have little doubt his star would burn bright if he could just stay healthy. That seem to be the big IF though.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3shbkppx said:
mikeak":3shbkppx said:
Yes RW compensates

Richardson had trouble creating separation all year. Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt he would have made much of a difference against that New England secondary. I hope he comes back strong mid-season and improves in all areas of his game.

Richardson was making the kind of catches that were bouncing off of Kearse and Willson's hands. I'd say that's open enough for me. He's a difference make in our offence, and can only improve.

McGruff

Reaction score
GLio14":3h2lo1no said:
Always thought Cassius Marsh can be a cog in our defense for years. A shame he got injured last season though. High hopes for him this season.

I think of Canty and Spencer as injury and developmental insurance. Kind of like Antoine WInfield. Sign them and keep them in case the young guns aren't ready, but if the competition is even close, you let the youngs guys have it,

Both players are 10+ year vets on the wrong side of 30 with their best years long behind them.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Hawks46":163qst3j said:
What i don't understand is why we're bringing people like Chris Canty and Anthony Spencer in, but haven't resigned Kevin Williams. Yes, I know they play different positions, but Williams is solid depth and versatile. He also proved himself last year.

DL depth is an issue, and signing Williams is an immediate fix.

Has Williams decided whether he wants to continue playing? He may not be ready to make that decision yet.

Regardless, the Hawks have holes on the DL that they need to fill.

Largent80

Reaction score
It could be that the Hawks have told Williams to hang tight before signing.

We also have Dobbs Cohen and Tukuafu as UFA.

sutz

Reaction score
According to this thread, there is an offer on the table for Williams to come back after he cleared waivers. He might be available for depth, camp foder, whatever this year.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Williams was a late signing last year and he'll be a late signing this year. He will only want to play for a contender, so his potential teams list is limited too.

I hope the Hawks bring him back, he was a great depth piece, a leader, and I want him to have another shot at a ring. For some reason I felt really bad for him the most after the Super Bowl. He probably thought he was finally going to win one until that final play. He stepped up huge for the Hawks last year and we could use the depth this season.

I wouldn't expect him to sign anywhere until June at the earliest.