Why I think we traded Unger

chris98251

Reaction score
I think we seen this coming really, good head, great heart, good leader but was having difficulties staying healthy, I think he being in the Center was getting beat up, we seen the snaps and that also was an issue, he still had value and the Saints needed a leader and a Center. I know he had trouble getting to a decent playing weight when he first arrived, possibly he just isn't made to carry that much weight. Also he was still small for a Center.

Lewis while being only 311 isn't very big either but doesn't have the dings, as others have said we may still shop. Centers need to be very smart about calls and are really a leader type, the rest of the guys have to trust them. A guard can make calls but when that happens the tackle on the other side can have issues hearing it. J.P. had size but struggled with calls, as did Spencer. Why I think we will get a Vet, probably Wis. Lewis can then play himself into back up or show he really is a starter. I think the coaches wanted to stop the heavy penetration up the middle we seen the last few years with the big guys blowing up Unger. With a size guy thats strong we can focus on more one on one then help which creates a gap somewhere.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The rumor was actually that NO called and inquired about what it would take to get Unger.

There's been lots of hints dropped out there, but I could see Schneider going "how about Jimmy Graham?" just to see if that stuck to the wall.

And as for Lewis and Unger, Lewis is 6'1" and 311, Unger is 6'4" and 305. That's a pretty big difference. I also wonder if being 6'1" helps our 5'11" QB. It sure can't hurt getting leverage against squatty NT's.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
NO was interested in Unger. NO mention a bunch of their players ready for trade, then it got interesting when they mention that Graham would be an option. JS wasn't sure if it was serious but they kept pursuing it. The franchise tag/ court case made it awkward so that helped with NO willing to trade him plus salary cap issues they have.