Rumor: Hawks going after Packer CB Tramon Williams

jblaze

Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 15171.html

Tom Silverstein thinks Seattle will make a push to sign CB Tramon Williams (32 in a couple of weeks) who turned down a 2 yr/8m contract from GB.

The article says he's looking for a 3-4 year contract averaging 5m a year. That seems like a lot for a 32 year old CB who's lost a step.

This also doesn't bode well for Simon.

Edit: Also looks like former Eagle Cary Williams is flying into Seattle for a workout tomorrow.

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/breaking-fo ... r-a-visit/

Certainly seems like we're looking externally for veteran CB help once Maxwell signs elsewhere. Interesting how they're going for more seasoned veterans.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with Simon, we need bodies and capable players. Simon played well before he got hurt. Can never have too many CBs

HawkFan72

Reaction score
They did sign Antoine Winfield, so they have shown they are willing to go after older CBs if they think they will fit. It would also shore up that position going into the draft so they wouldn't need to take a CB early if they don't want to.

Although at $5mil or $6mil a year "with significant guarantees", I hope the Hawks aren't interested.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
I think they'll hedge their bets on the #2 CB spot. They'll get a FA veteran CB and also draft one, possibly two late.

Hard to pay your entire DB corp with decent sized contracts so it might be a one year stop gap until a rookie CB gets ready for next year. This is not a good year for CB's with size and length.

Cary Williams is 30 yrs old, 6'1" with 32.5" arms so he fits our requirements also.

Something else to think about is that Tramon WIlliams is a hybrid type who can play inside or outside. We will likely not have Lane back til mid next year if at all. Perhaps this is a move for the nickel slot position. Or maybe they stick with Burley, who knows.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I've always been a big fan of Tramon Williams. He's a bigger CB with long arms. He has done well in GB, especially for how much teams throw against GB because of their high powered offense.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2e89vmq4 said:
I don't think it has anything to do with Simon, we need bodies and capable players. Simon played well before he got hurt. Can never have too many CBs

I don't know. You don't go out and give 5m/yr to a 32 year old veteran if you think your 23 yr old third year cheap CB is capable. You don't give 5m to a depth player, he would certainly start.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jblaze":39uidvw8 said:
Hawkfan77":39uidvw8 said:

I don't know. You don't go out and give 5m/yr to a 32 year old veteran if you think your 23 yr old third year cheap CB is capable. You don't give 5m to a depth player, he would certainly start.
Just because he's asking for 5 mil doesn't mean the Hawks are giving him 5 mil...

But they did sign Winfield to a 3 mil deal and cut him because he got beat out. They want competition.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":jw4znrab said:

Agree. Our depth at corner is very concerning. And that was before the injuries.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
They may have an incredibly hard time attracting free agent WRs, but every veteran DB in the league is gonna want to be a part of the LOB

Throwdown

Reaction score
Williams would probably end up at nickel, just basing that off the idea that they pefer size on the outside. Williams is 5'11 191lbs. We could see him battling with Burley for the Nickel spot while Simon and probably a draft pick or someone else go for the side opposite of Sherman.

Playmaker21

Reaction score
The team is likely going to be at the point where they are going to have to rotate the starting CB spot opposite of Richard Sherman every 2 years or so. At least until they draft a legit cheaper CB who can start and hold his own.

This year's draft needs to be about two things. Drafting Defensive Linemen that can replace declining players on the Seahawks Defensive Line. And getting players who can make plays and score TD's on offense. In the middle rounds they need to look for interior Offensive Linemen to develop.

Largent80

Reaction score
The thought of Simon and/or a draft pick lining up opposite Sherman is scary and I'm pretty sure that is why they are looking out for decent veteran CB's.

pehawk

Reaction score
Pursuing Cary Williams too. Good moves.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Largent80":5lilz7pw said:
The thought of Simon and/or a draft pick lining up opposite Sherman is scary and I'm pretty sure that is why they are looking out for decent veteran CB's.
You're Back!!!! :thirishdrinkers: :0190l:
I think Simon will get better. He was playing very well until he got hurt. But depth is an issue and the Nickle is a concern.

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":19raowp1 said:
I've always been a big fan of Tramon Williams. He's a bigger CB with long arms. He has done well in GB, especially for how much teams throw against GB because of their high powered offense.

I've always been a fan of Tramon Willams, too. I always wanted him to be a Seahawk. He would be a perfect fit for the secondary. The only thing I would worry about now is his age, but well worth the risk. Have him in camp and see what happens. Also, anything to further weaken the whiny Packers I'm all for.

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/573482545406287873[/tweet]

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Pete and John know that showing off the facilities and feeling the VMAC vibe are big selling points. So bring in as much talent as possible and let the picking and choosing commence. It's like their first 2 years, except P&J can be more selective with invitees and they're in a better position to make take-it-or-leave-it offers.

If Tramon gets a deal with the Seahawks, it's because he is unquestionably the right player for the job.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":2vzhzka7 said:
Pete and John know that showing off the facilities and feeling the VMAC vibe are big selling points. So bring in as much talent as possible and let the picking and choosing commence. It's like their first 2 years, except P&J can be more selective with invitees and they're in a better position to make take-it-or-leave-it offers.

If Tramon gets a deal with the Seahawks, it's because he is unquestionably the right player for the job.

Charlie Whitehurst and Percy Harvin might question some of Pete and John's moves.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":34lb6w2z said:
jblaze":34lb6w2z said:
Hawkfan77":34lb6w2z said:

Just because he's asking for 5 mil doesn't mean the Hawks are giving him 5 mil...

But they did sign Winfield to a 3 mil deal and cut him because he got beat out. They want competition.

5m is not what he's asking for, 5m is what several GM's in the league has said his floor is.

Again, you don't sign a guy to a 3-4 yr contract around 5m a year to be a backup. Competition of course is the expectation but Tramon is a known quantity and JS knows him well from Green Bay. They know he'll start, period.