Marshawn is messing with the Hawks?

StoneCold

Reaction score
At least that's what the radio talking heads think. I think they're being stupid. Just because they don't know why he's not signing the deal immediately he's being a jerk? They just can't think of any other reason so it must be that. All the monkeys on 710 have come to this conclusion. It makes me crazy listening to inane, negative speculation. They may think that drives ratings, but it made me change the station.

Who knows why he hasn't signed. He may have very good reasons. I don't know, but my first inclination is not to jump to he's being a jerk.

SC

NorCalSeahawkFan

Reaction score
the media created this monster, why should he talk to the media. it is there constant hounding that has caused this, and isnt this normal for high profile players? the only people that know what is going on are not talking. this happens every year.

thank you for asking

Uncle Si

Reaction score
He's still under contract. He doesn't need to sign, nor do the Seahawks need to extend. Speculation regarding anything else is simply that. If he was due to be a free agent, then I could see the fervor behind this "developing story".

But at this time, the two sides do not need to be in a big hurry. I don't see the Seahawks replacing Lynch through Free Agency, so he's not holding them hostage their either.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Of course there's wild speculation. What else is there to do until the draft ?

Radio tends to be the worst because you don't have to get in front of a camera and be accountable. Kinda like being an internet tough guy.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
It's the off season. Sometimes members of the media are no different than many posters that post on this site

lobohawk

Reaction score
There's concern over Lynch's decision for obvious reasons. The Hawks need to know if he's going to play or not, as they have to adjust their priorities based off it. This is what causes the talking heads a problem, because the longer he takes ... the less the Hawks can do to compensate.

kidhawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":1pdxk87j said:
At least that's what the radio talking heads think. I think they're being stupid. Just because they don't know why he's not signing the deal immediately he's being a jerk? They just can't think of any other reason so it must be that. All the monkeys on 710 have come to this conclusion. It makes me crazy listening to inane, negative speculation. They may think that drives ratings, but it made me change the station.

Who knows why he hasn't signed. He may have very good reasons. I don't know, but my first inclination is not to jump to he's being a jerk.

SC

When you say they are being stupid I disagree. I do believe they are wrong, but they know exactly what they are doing. They are using the Marshawn hype machine to keep listeners engaged and keep their ratings in a spectacular slow time for the NFL.

When Lynch was set to be a free agent last time, he didn't sign a deal immediately after the season. He went off and did his thing, and came back and signed his deal before free agency began. Until free agency begins, I'm not really at all concerned about it, because signing now, or signing in the next 2 weeks really doesn't change anything at all.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
kidhawk":1m2w3edt said:
StoneCold":1m2w3edt said:

SC

When you say they are being stupid I disagree. I do believe they are wrong, but they know exactly what they are doing. They are using the Marshawn hype machine to keep listeners engaged and keep their ratings in a spectacular slow time for the NFL.

When Lynch was set to be a free agent last time, he didn't sign a deal immediately after the season. He went off and did his thing, and came back and signed his deal before free agency began. Until free agency begins, I'm not really at all concerned about it, because signing now, or signing in the next 2 weeks really doesn't change anything at all.

If they're attempting to maintain ratings with this line of speculation it's not working as it just makes me turn it off. That's why I say they're being stupid. Perhaps they have nothing else to talk about and without the "Marshawn's a jerk" story line we'd have dead air. Which just makes them stupider. "I'm just talking so I won't get fired."

SC

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
He's signing.

He just trademarked "I'm Only Here So I Don't Get Fined".............he wouldn't trademark something like that unless he planned on playing in order to capitalize on that sort of Beast Mode branding.

Lynch can flirt with all the retirement talk all he wants, but he's not leaving 21 million dollars on the table. He just isn't.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
lobohawk":3cfjvhd7 said:
There's concern over Lynch's decision for obvious reasons. The Hawks need to know if he's going to play or not, as they have to adjust their priorities based off it. This is what causes the talking heads a problem, because the longer he takes ... the less the Hawks can do to compensate.

Well, as kidhawk noted, Lynch signed his last deal with the Hawks on March 4th of 2012, 9 days before free agency began. Free agency begins this year on March 10, so there is still plenty of time for Lynch to take advantage of the Hawks' offer without throwing their plans into disarray.

As for the Hawks adjusting priorities, I'm confident that Schneider and his crew have multiple plans drawn up, and that they're not going to need a lot of time between Lynch's decision and the start of free agency to set any one of them in motion. And honestly, I'm not even that concerned about Lynch's decision affecting free agency for Seattle. I don't view any of the RBs in free agency as legitimate options, and would rather have the Hawks spend a draft pick on a fresh set of legs to compete with Turbin and Michael should Lynch retire.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
volsunghawk":31ecel21 said:
lobohawk":31ecel21 said:

Well, as kidhawk noted, Lynch signed his last deal with the Hawks on March 4th of 2012, 9 days before free agency began. Free agency begins this year on March 10, so there is still plenty of time for Lynch to take advantage of the Hawks' offer without throwing their plans into disarray.

As for the Hawks adjusting priorities, I'm confident that Schneider and his crew have multiple plans drawn up, and that they're not going to need a lot of time between Lynch's decision and the start of free agency to set any one of them in motion. And honestly, I'm not even that concerned about Lynch's decision affecting free agency for Seattle. I don't view any of the RBs in free agency as legitimate options, and would rather have the Hawks spend a draft pick on a fresh set of legs to compete with Turbin and Michael should Lynch retire.

Agree that this is a good post and all that needs to be said about the situation. Part of me thinks they're all so butt hurt, especially Clayton, that they have to paint ML as the villain.

SC

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Radio needs ratings. And the way you create ratings is by finding a "Bad Guy", who is threatening to destroy your Franchise by holding it hostage ...
Of course, some fans will go banana over this, because they don't have a life. Their team is their life ... duh !!!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Stop listening to the media. They are all full of crap and know nothing. God, I hate the off season before the 'official' stuff starts.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
yeah right, like the clown ever kNOWS anything except how to yank ya'lls chains

Jerhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":23u4a41i said:
Not knowing affects their draft projections.

Exactly. He needs to give them some notice before the draft. If he does retire, we need to bring in a replacement, whether it's through the draft (more than likely) or free agency (Peterson or Rice). :180670:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jerhawk":15w8bikf said:
brimsalabim":15w8bikf said:
Not knowing affects their draft projections.

Exactly. He needs to give them some notice before the draft. If he does retire, we need to bring in a replacement, whether it's through the draft (more than likely) or free agency (Peterson or Rice). :180670:

I think Lynch will sign by the end of April.

If there was discourse right now, I think we'd be hearing about it..........and so far the only rumors we've heard is the deal (2 years 21 million) and that he's agreed. Two good signs.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm getting real sick of Marshawn's schtick, and if he wasn't BEAST mode on the field. I'm pretty sure everyone here wouldn't be so forgiving and ready to back up every little thing he says or does (or does not say or do).

We're so quick to bash the media, yet you know what, we eat up everything they post. We're posting about the supposed leaks in contracts, talks, what is and is not going on in the locker room. You can't say you hate the media, but at the same time click all these links, read about it and then share it with others. Because that's all results from the media being the media. Hate the media, stop going to espn.com, stop clicking articles, stop watching anybody's press conferences.

Then there's the thought about, well so and so likes the media. You know what. I'm pretty sure if you asked anyone behind close doors if they enjoy their media obligations their answer would be "HELL NO, I want that time back in my life". But the difference between those athletes/coaches/etc and Marshawn is they are being mature about it. They understand its just part of their job and they can either make the best of it, or be a jerk and say "I'm just here so I won't get fined" trying to seem like a victim. Then a few months later putting a trademark off of it, so you can bank off of it.

I understand he's upset he didn't get the ball on 2nd down. But you know what he's excercising his leverage now. He's going to draw this into training camp and prevent the team from utilizing his potential salary cap to get free agents. Just imagine this, JS is offering $12M, Beast mode sits on it until training camp, maybe half way through, and then says....NAH I'm retiring. You still gonna defend him full well knowing that he screwed the team out of being able to draft and/or pick up free agents in preparation of this.

I love Beast Mode, I love the Seahawks. I love the Seahawks more than I love Beast Mode, and I do NOT love what he is doing. He has all right do what he's doing, but I'm not going to bless every little thing he says or does.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I don't eat up anything the media put out. I find the coverage of the combine disgraceful, their speculation on free agency, the draft and their assumptions about teams, organizations, and individuals ignorant and mere instigation.

I find Lynch's "schtick" to be refreshing in the simple fact its different. Because I don't really care what these athletes have to say about generic questions, atleast he's offering something new. Wilson is boring. Brady is boring.

The real truth here is that it's the public that cannot handle the truth in our athletes. We have driven them to be bland, vanilla, unemotional. When we are shown something different the athletes, coaches, etc. are attacked, very publicly and very viciously.

The public doesn't deserve the truth. The athletes have given up trying to present it. And that leaves the media desperately trying to coax something from nothing, to instigate some outrage from us.

Its pathetic.

The rest of your post is pure speculation, reflective of the very outrage the media desperately clamor for and in contrast to the very professional way in which the business of the NFL is run. If its April and he has not made up his mind than yes, questions can be asked.

But ffs... its not even March.