The reason Norwood is just a #5 to #2WR

hawksurething

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543689

Norwood only has a 33 inch vertical ! Which is average Yuck :( plus he has other weaknesses like not getting off the press which is a huge no no in the NFL.

Norwood has good hands I like,but his 33 inch very negates him being 6'2. He can't win jump balls like dez,Marshall,etc...he sure wont ever demand a double team with his other weaknesses either in the #1 WR spot!

Also for some reason he can't even beat out Baldwin & kearse lockett which says all we need to know. But what are those reasons ??? I know,but let's see how many of yall can speak of them ???

The WR I see hawks drafting is jalen strong...42 inch vert ! Amazing catch ability,strong hands,attacks the ball like its his. Can be stopped most times. Now he runs a 4.40 40 which hushes those saying he not fast.

I pay attention to the pats because they win so much. Them & their fans always try to get pro bowl caliber WRs & TEs every year. They spent 1 & 2nd round pick on them,but if they don't pan out ?,they sign star free agents...Moss,ocho,etc... They make sure they cover both the draft & free agency...to come away with pass talent to secure clutch victories. Right???

Our hawks have done it too in every area accept WR so far. Bennet,Avril,etc... You must use both free agency & the draft to maximize competition & talent. Hawks final piece to the puzzle is to learn how to pick WRs that demand double teams.

Baldwin,keasre,p-rich,norwood,Matthews, plus draftees & free agents = someone emerging as that WR that can beat double teams consistently. :)

Go hawks !

blkhwk

Reaction score
Baldwin isn't winning many jump balls either........don't count out Norwood just yet, he missed most if not all the pre-season and training camp with an injury. He may be the #5 receiver or he may be #3 wait and see.

Good thing WR's aren't judged solely on their leaping ability. Steve Largent would never have made a roster.

kearly

Reaction score
I see Norwood and Richardson as essentially having the same role in a WR group (they both excel on passes under 10 yards). Right now Seattle only has one WR who is particularly good on deep routes (Kearse). And we don't really have a "power forward" type of WR who uses his size to box out DBs. I think the rumored Brandon Marshall trade makes a ton of sense for Seattle, and a guy like Jaelen Strong would really fit the bill as well, if the FO thinks he's got the fire inside to be the competitor we'd need him to be.

Jville

Reaction score
hawksurething":10rshm9h said:
Norwood only has a 33 inch vertical ! Yuck :(

Norwood has good hands I like,but his 33 inch very negates him being 6'2.

That was on a bad ankle/foot. With a full off season to work with, he'll be more explosive and up to speed with Wilson for the 2015 campaign.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
How often does a guy have to jump 34 inches to catch a Russell Wilson pass? Maybe once or twice a season. I don't think this is the reason he doesn't get more run.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2xq7ppu9 said:
How often does a guy have to jump 34 inches to catch a Russell Wilson pass? Maybe once or twice a season. I don't think this is the reason he doesn't get more run.

Good point. Not only does Norwood fully extend to catch the ball at its highest point, his arms are longer than 32 inches. If you watch some of his tape, he can catch jump balls just about as high as anyone. I would say getting off the line quickly and running fluid routes is more of a developmental issue for Norwood than going up to get the football.

Golden Tate is four inches shorter and had a 35'' vertical. Randall Cobb is also four inches shorter with a 33.5'' vertical. Anquan Boldin is another with a 33'' vertical. Ditto for T.Y. Hilton, Jeremy Maclin, and other 1,300+ yard receivers.

610c577832d886431

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawksurething":b2jzvj8g said:
Norwood only has a 33 inch vertical ! Yuck :(

Norwood has good hands I like,but his 33 inch very negates him being 6'2. He can't win jump balls like dez,Marshall,etc...

The WR I see hawks drafting is jalen strong...42 inch vert ! Amazing catch ability,strong hands,attacks the ball like its his. Can be stopped most times. Now he runs a 4.40 40 which hushes those saying he not fast

FYI, Amari Cooper also put up a 33'' vert today. He's expected to be a high first rounder.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Barring any trades I see the depth chart at WR next year being:

1) Baldwin
2) Draftee
3) Kearse
4) Norwood
5) Mathews

I see us taking a future #1 WR who demands attention from defenses in round 1 or 2. Someone who can start right away. (Coates, DBG, Funchess, etc)....

I expect Richardson not to play at all. Best case scenario PUP. I also don't see Walters making the roster.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
What does anyone want to bet Largent's vert was less than 33?

kobebryant

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1yn58bm5 said:
JSeahawks":1yn58bm5 said:

Good point. Not only does Norwood fully extend to catch the ball at its highest point, his arms are longer than 32 inches. If you watch some of his tape, he can catch jump balls just about as high as anyone. I would say getting off the line quickly and running fluid routes is more of a developmental issue for Norwood than going up to get the football.

Golden Tate is four inches shorter and had a 35'' vertical. Randall Cobb is also four inches shorter with a 33.5'' vertical. Anquan Boldin is another with a 33'' vertical. Ditto for T.Y. Hilton, Jeremy Maclin, and other 1,300+ yard receivers.

610c577832d886431

Kill shot.

cacksman

Reaction score
I do not think Jaelen Strong lasts until the late 20s. If he does, then I'd be down with a small move up to go get him. And not because Norwood "can't jump".

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
I'm glad so many of you guys are starting to understand some WR attributes :)

Norwood has been known to make the acrobatic catch in college. 33 inch vert is average. Not great though.

If you guys just want to continue to struggle in the passing game & fall short at the goal line like in the Superbowl ? That's fine.

But not me...I want actual WRs that put fear in defenses, so they have to double cover them & make lynch run vs 7 man fronts so I can see him 2 or 3 more years. I love beast mode and don't want him to go just yet ;)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawksurething":39c6v4w0 said:

Norwood has been known to make the acrobatic catch in college. 33 inch vert is average. Not great though.

If you guys just want to continue to struggle in the passing game & fall short at the goal line like in the Superbowl ? That's fine.

But not me...I want actual WRs that put fear in defenses, so they have to double cover them & make lynch run vs 7 man fronts so I can see him 2 or 3 more years. I love beast mode and don't want him to go just yet ;)

The league average is a little higher for a WR: 34.6''
The average for a WR on our roster is 37.2''

Lockette (39'') and Baldwin (37'') have some strong verticals. Kearse is a little better than average (35.5'').

Chris Matthews, who caught those spectacular jump balls in the Super Bowl, also had a 33'' vert.

One objective physical measurement that we could improve about our WR corps is lateral agility. None of our guys really excelled with the short shuttle, which might be one reason why we tend to have so much trouble creating separation.

cacksman

Reaction score
hawksurething":3ss66e9t said:

You have me convinced you are just screwing with this entire board by being (somewhat) knowledgeable about the Seahawks but having the most ridiculous and delusional wishes and expectations.

kearly

Reaction score
I think measurements such as 40 time and vertical jump are more a measure of potential than ability. It's much more important to have good timing on the jump and a knack for attacking the football than it is to jump high.

Of course, it would be nice find a WR who has it all, but that doesn't make Norwood chopped liver. He made a living on the deep ball in college. I'd give him a few seasons before I write him off as a deep ball threat in the NFL.

For 2015 though, I think Seattle will seek to upgrade the deep threat and red zone aspects of the receiving corps, especially since Richardson won't be 100% next year. All the rumors we've heard about Seattle looking into veteran star players (Marshall, Julius Thomas, etc) feels very believable to me.

nash72

Reaction score
Chawks1":30uq47nx said:
Barring any trades I see the depth chart at WR next year being:

1) Baldwin
2) Draftee
3) Kearse
4) Norwood
5) Mathews

I see us taking a future #1 WR who demands attention from defenses in round 1 or 2. Someone who can start right away. (Coates, DBG, Funchess, etc)....

I expect Richardson not to play at all. Best case scenario PUP. I also don't see Walters making the roster.

I really feel like Matthews is going to have a bigger part this season. Kid can play. I think he's better then Norwood and Richardson.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The vertical matters but so does height, arm length, and everything else.

Strength is really underrated for possession receivers. The great ones have really good grip and upper arms that enable them to come down those with contested passes.

Another important factor is Grit. There are plenty of 6'5" guys out there but how many of them want the ball more than the guy on the other side does?