Julius Thomas rumors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/568261525024083968[/tweet]

Meanwhile earlier in the season (post-Broncos game), Carroll recruiting ninja-style...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/lethylg60/status/513874388559888384[/tweet]

FYI: Greg Thomas is Julius's father.

Greg Thomas played football at University of the Pacific in 1983 when current Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll was the offensive coordinator. Carroll moved the highly touted wide receiver to a different position, and Greg Thomas suffered a career-ending leg injury in practice.

http://www.recordnet.com/article/20140202/A_NEWS/402020308?template=printart

http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index....thomas_connection_comes_from_full_circle.html

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Here is the actual Bleacher Report from Matt Bowen:

• The Seahawks are looking to upgrade the tight end position, and league sources say Julius Thomas could be in play once he hits the free-agent market. Thomas would give quarterback Russell Wilson a true matchup weapon to target inside the numbers and in the red zone. Think of "50-50" balls that Thomas can go up and get at the point of attack.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2368 ... 1-notebook

Sounds like a lot of speculation.

2_0_6

Reaction score
As much as I would like him here, I have a feeling he lands in Oakland. They have a ton of money they can throw at him, and growing up just outside Oakland helps as well.

Extend Lynch, sign Iupati, and trade up to draft Maxx Williams.

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
hawknation2015":20xgoao7 said:
Here is the actual Bleacher Report from Matt Bowen:

• The Seahawks are looking to upgrade the tight end position, and league sources say Julius Thomas could be in play once he hits the free-agent market. Thomas would give quarterback Russell Wilson a true matchup weapon to target inside the numbers and in the red zone. Think of "50-50" balls that Thomas can go up and get at the point of attack.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2368 ... 1-notebook

Sounds like a lot of speculation.

...Seahawks tried to trade Harvin for Thomas, but got nixed by Broncos F.O.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...y-harvin-julius-thomas-offer-seattle-seahawks

Let's play connect the dots. Hmm...let's see...we need a tight end. Zach's not getting any younger. Hey wait, there's a tight end, whose father happened to play for Pete. Pete saw him play in pressure situations multiple times in regular and post-season (SB). We tried to trade for him, but failed. Should we give up on this guy and go find someone else?

Where there's smoke, there's a fire.

"...you can tell a trapper by his furs..." ~Pete Carroll on recruiting

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1nsausxc said:
As much as I would like him here, I have a feeling he lands in Oakland. They have a ton of money they can throw at him, and growing up just outside Oakland helps as well.

Agreed.. I can see the Raiders giving Thomas the same type of deal Jimmy Graham got

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
No way it happens. What's the point of signing a huge contract for a receiving threat if you always need to keep him in to block because the OL is inept? Use the money on a WR if you need a pass catcher.

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
Sometimes you gotta swing for the fences, even if they don't make any sense. Harvin experiment failed, but I get a distinct feeling that's not going to stop Schneider and Carroll from taking risks. If he wants a big TE target for Russ, he's going to get one.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Keep an eye on Jordan Cameron instead of Thomas if the Browns don't tag him. He has history with Pete at USC, was rumored to be asked out earlier in the season as a trade possibility for Harvin, and its known he has gotten tired of being in Cleveland due to the dysfunction. The big concern is he has received 3 concussions in 3 years.

As far as the rumors back with Harvin I believe we went to the Browns first asking about Cameron before we got denied and moved to Denver.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Weird trivia that this tread reminds me of. university of the Pacific is tiny and no longer has a football program, but two Seahawk head coaches were coaches there: Carroll and Tom Flores.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":b1ckts9e said:
Keep an eye on Jordan Cameron instead of Thomas if the Browns don't tag him. He has history with Pete at USC, was rumored to be asked out earlier in the season as a trade possibility for Harvin, and its known he has gotten tired of being in Cleveland due to the dysfunction. The big concern is he has received 3 concussions in 3 years.

As far as the rumors back with Harvin I believe we went to the Browns first asking about Cameron before we got denied and moved to Denver.

I'm fairly certain he wasn't at USC at the same time as Pete..

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Would love to have J Thomas, instant #1 target for Wilson. Great RZ threat, and would come much cheaper than a #1 WR yet would have an equal impact to this offense.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
FormerEvil":3dgztg5x said:
Bigbadhawk":3dgztg5x said:

I'm fairly certain he wasn't at USC at the same time as Pete..

He was offered a full scholarship in 2007 after Pete and Sark watched him in a workout with his brother. Because he was at BYU at the time Pete couldn't have direct contact with him but it was made known by his former prep coach there was a full ride waiting for him at USC. Before Pete showed interest in him he was focused on Basketball, not football,

He enrolled at USC but found out most of his credits from BYU would not transfer to USC. He spent that year at a local college then transferred to USC in 2008 to play football. He played WR for 2 years while Pete was there then his Senior year Lane Kiffin transitioned him to TE.

I am fairly certain Pete and him have some history together based off of that knowledge.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2p5ivkc0 said:
Would love to have J Thomas, instant #1 target for Wilson. Great RZ threat, and would come much cheaper than a #1 WR yet would have an equal impact to this offense.

So if the Seahawks could get Brandon Marshall for 8.1m apy you wouldnt be up for that?

JT will sign for 7-9 apy.

I think the Seahawks can trade for B-Marsh and get his apy to drop to 6-7 m by re-doing his contract for a new signing bonus and more gauranteed money over all than the 7.9 m hes going to make on the third day of the new year.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
He would come here and be Anthony McCoy (faster, obvs). We all want a big, pass catching TE but we just don't really do that around here. The money would be better spent elsewhere. My opinion.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3l9dzdt5 said:
Wenhawk":3l9dzdt5 said:

So if the Seahawks could get Brandon Marshall for 8.1m apy you wouldnt be up for that?

JT will sign for 7-9 apy.

I think the Seahawks can trade for B-Marsh and get his apy to drop to 6-7 m by re-doing his contract for a new signing bonus and more gauranteed money over all than the 7.9 m hes going to make on the third day of the new year.
For the sake of discussion, putting the FA money towards TE makes sense when you consider the other options at each position in the draft. Another consideration is the capital a trade would require, unless da Bears don't get an offer and then decide to cut him. And while I like Marshall's mental health progress and feel the Hawks roster could handle him as well as any, it's not a blowoff concern.
Both would likely help the area in the most need for improvement, keeping drives alive when behind schedule.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
lobohawk":3bzgycd3 said:
Can he also block? Cause that's what we need the TE to do.
No, he can't... and that is why Denver fans got so frustrated with him.

No way he becomes a Seahawk imo.

Chawks1

Reaction score
"Julius is here to get his money and get out," one teammate told me last week. "That's just how some guys are. He didn't grow up playing this game and it's just not in his DNA to put it all out there." When asked if Julius Thomas was soft like some say, he said, " where there's smoke, there's fire." According to the teammate, Julius Thomas was healthy enough to play multiple times last season but refused to. In one instance Julius Thomas was heard saying, "I'm about 90% – I'm getting close."

Doesn't sound like a guy that Always Competes.....he turned down $8m per year from Denver last year too....he wants to get paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.