We have now lost 2 Superbowls we should have won

seabowl

Reaction score
If you would have told me in 2004 we would win a bowl within the next 10 years I would have been very happy as a long time fan. With that said in looking back now I am happy that we won last year, however, feel that we could have and should have won all 3 that we were in. Both XL and this one were crushing defeats for different reasons. In XL I truly believe that we were a much better team than the Stealers. In this one we were more evenly matched but without rehashing the last week, feel that we gave it away. Again I feel fortunate to have won one but can't shake the feeling of what could and should have been. Thoughts?

ballhawks12

Reaction score
The first Hawks Super Bowl was before I started watching NFL, so that one doesn't affect me. I can't say the same for this past Super Bowl. This past Super Bowl is one of the biggest heart breaks I've experienced as a sports fan in general.

The best advice I can give is to acknowledge what was rather than what could have been. Acknowledge the success that has been had, and don't dwell on the failure negatively, as even getting there is something some teams have never done or done very little.

/endDr.Philmode.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
We have gone to the Super Bowl 3 times in 10 years. Read recently that the average NFL team makes it once every 16 years, winning it every 39. I'm not going to wallow in pity because we won 1 out of 3. I'm grateful for what this team has accomplished - and for what it did to the fan base. I only see greater things ahead.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
SPIRITOF12":21bnj95i said:
We have gone to the Super Bowl 3 times in 10 years. Read recently that the average NFL team makes it once every 16 years, winning it every 39. I'm not going to wallow in pity because we won 1 out of 3. I'm grateful for what this team has accomplished - and for what it did to the fan base. I only see greater things ahead.

the 2006 super bowl against the Steelers was no were near exciting for hawk fans as the last 2 super bowls were , that game in 2006 the referring was god awful .

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The first loss was NFL inflicted

The loss Sunday was self (Bevell) inflicted.

Would have felt better about the loss if they were not half a yard and one good play call away from a championship.

That said, pop the blue ray of last year's super bowl and enjoy the dominance! :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
SPIRITOF12":muu2mknq said:

I'm curious if they actually did a study on how often a team makes the bowl or just said there are 16 teams in each conference hence one out of every 16 years they make it to the big game.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Like I have said in multiple threads....you have to go back to maybe the 49ers or Cowboys dynasty to find team from the NFC that has gone to the superbowl more than the Seahawks...

You have to go back to 1991 to find a team with more superbowl appearances than the hawks and that would be the Giants franchise and if you go back to 1989 the 49ers

Since 1989-

4 Appearances
49ers, Giants

3 Appearances
Seahawks, Packers, Cowboys

2 Appearances
Rams

1 Appearance
Panthers, Eagles, Bears, Cardinals, Saints, Bucs, Falcons, Redskins

And Vikings and Lions are the only 2 teams who havent been to the superbowl from the NFC side....Lions have only won 1 playoff game in the superbowl era...would you rather be a fan of them?

Contrast that with the AFC.....

Since 1989

7 Appearance
Patriots

4 Appearance
Bills, Broncos, Steelers

2 Appearance
Ravens, Colts

1 Appearance
Bengals, Chargers, Titans, Raiders

Teams who have not made the Superbowl include, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Texans, Jags, Chiefs

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Even winning 1 out of 3, I am happy for the 1.

How would you like to be the bills fans who saw their dynasty-quality team make 4 straight Super Bowls and come out with ZERO championships from it? How much do you think they would give to have won just ONE of those games?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HawkFan72":o2va6wi4 said:
Even winning 1 out of 3, I am happy for the 1.

How would you like to be the bills fans who saw their dynasty-quality team make 4 straight Super Bowls and come out with ZERO championships from it? How much do you think they would give to have won just ONE of those games?

Hopefully we can do what the Pats did...Winning one, not winning one and then winning 2 in a row. Although if we did that we would of gone to 4 superbowls in a row and win 3 of them. Pats didnt even make the playoffs the year after Brady and Bill won their first one

drdiags

Reaction score
WilsonMVP, you are confusing me with your stats. You state things like the Vikings have not been to a Superbowl and neither the Jets etc. I know you put a caveat in there about since 1989, why not just count the entire Superbowl History because your wording is confusing.

Tough to say a team never has been to a Superbowl yet list the Superbowl winners Chiefs and Jets among them. I know you are trying to say "since" a certain date but the use of "never" doesn't make sense to me.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
seabowl":1fnl33h5 said:
If you would have told me in 2004 we would win a bowl within the next 10 years I would have been very happy as a long time fan. With that said in looking back now I am happy that we won last year, however, feel that we could have and should have won all 3 that we were in. Both XL and this one were crushing defeats for different reasons. In XL I truly believe that we were a much better team than the Stealers. In this one we were more evenly matched but without rehashing the last week, feel that we gave it away. Again I feel fortunate to have won one but can't shake the feeling of what could and should have been. Thoughts?

"We" haven't lost anything.

My "Thoughts"? Post is far too dramatic and shares a very unrealistic perspective. The last 10 years has seen the Seahawks in the Super Bowl 3 times, winning one and literally choosing not to win the other with 25 seconds left in the game. Literally remarkable scenario.

Grow a pair people.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
drdiags":3g0mz8gm said:
WilsonMVP, you are confusing me with your stats. You state things like the Vikings have not been to a Superbowl and neither the Jets etc. I know you put a caveat in there about since 1989, why not just count the entire Superbowl History because your wording is confusing.

Tough to say a team never has been to a Superbowl yet list the Superbowl winners Chiefs and Jets among them. I know you are trying to say "since" a certain date but the use of "never" doesn't make sense to me.
And the Dolphins too.. they only went undefeated.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
I think that any time that your team loses a SB by lets say, 7 points or less, it's probably not going to be too hard to figure that they should have won.

chevelle03

Reaction score
Only twice in SB history has the losing team had more yards and won the turnover battle. Both times it was our Seattle Seahawks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chevelle03":32nlzvcu said:
Only twice in SB history has the losing team had more yards and won the turnover battle. Both times it was our Seattle Seahawks.
LOL, ain't that a bitch!

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":14sblsdc said:
seabowl":14sblsdc said:

"We" haven't lost anything.

My "Thoughts"? Post is far too dramatic and shares a very unrealistic perspective. The last 10 years has seen the Seahawks in the Super Bowl 3 times, winning one and literally choosing not to win the other with 25 seconds left in the game. Literally remarkable scenario.

Grow a pair people.

Grow a pair? What the hell does that mean in this scenario? I simply stated that in my opinion (which from what I think I'm still entitled to) the Hawks (not we, happy now) were the better team (XL) or should have won based on the circumstances (this past bowl). I am happy with the Hawks (not we, happy now again) winning XLVIII but felt like they should or very well could have won all three.

HawkGA

Reaction score
XL was much, much harder for me to swallow. I really felt like the team was robbed. I was younger then and football was a lot bigger part of my life (wife, kids, and ditching cable helped make it less important). But honestly, when I saw the interception, I was just sort of like, "well that was $#%#$% stupid." Doesn't mean it doesn't still hurt a bit but I just found it easier because the Hawks lost it on their own.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":34q01nel said:
XL was much, much harder for me to swallow. I really felt like the team was robbed. I was younger then and football was a lot bigger part of my life (wife, kids, and ditching cable helped make it less important). But honestly, when I saw the interception, I was just sort of like, "well that was $#%#$% stupid." Doesn't mean it doesn't still hurt a bit but I just found it easier because the Hawks lost it on their own.

XL was more difficult for me for multiple reasons. First, it was our first appearance in the big game - you want to perform well and not seem as if the stage is too big for you. Unfortunately, we didn't live up to that. Yeah, the officiating was bad, but the team that was playing that game looked nothing like the one that had been destroying the competition left and right during most of the regular season. That could be due, in part, to the fact that the Steelers were the best defense we'd faced that entire year. The only D in the NFC that could compare to them was the Bears, and we dodged them when they lost to Carolina in the divisional round.

What's funny is that the '05 Steelers were very much like our current Seahawks. Their identity was tied up in strong defense and a strong run game, augmented by a passing game that could be effective when necessary. Their passing attempts were among the lowest in the league, and they loved low-scoring games. They matched up much better with us than we wanted to admit (and while I know we had more yardage than they did in that game, the entire difference in yardage came on our final drive that resulted in a turnover on downs.... it was near identical before that last futile drive). So in the end, while the officiating was truly horrible, we couldn't overcome it due to a bad matchup and too many unforced errors.

XLIX is easier for me for several reasons, the biggest being our win in XLVIII. That this game wasn't our only shot at a championship makes it much easier to deal with. Add to that the fact that even with all of the struggles this season and the injuries sustained - especially on D - we were within a yard of winning it all against the winningest team of this century, and that's a pretty solid accomplishment. Even though the team ultimately fell short, they looked like champions, and their return to the biggest stage in the game solidifies their status as contenders.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Every team that lost a close SB says this............we certainly heard that from Pats fans about Tyree's catch, the tuck rule, etc.

Just makes it all the more frustrating that we should have been on the other side of this equation. Instead of us lamenting a horrible play call, it should be Patriot's fans now complaining about Kearse's miracle lucky catch losing them another close SB.

LTH

Reaction score
What makes the Seahawks special is they take chances and make spectacuar plays at crucial momments.. They believe that every play they run is going to be successfull... Unfortionately it doesn't always work out and sometimes its ugly... but when it does work out its big...The fact that this team has been in 3 SB in the last ten years is an amazing situation... take the good with the bad... If it aint broke dont fix it... some people think it is broken... me personally, I'm gratefull that this team has had the success they have had...I see more coming... PC and JS are very good at what they do and I am really looking forward to observe what direction they take this team this off season... what else is there to say? We can complain that the hawks are not perfect and whine and moan about it or we can move forward and enjoy what is yet to come... I choose to enjoy what is to come and understand that the best is yet to come... I guess it is all a matter of perspective... what do you choose?