I believe the Seahawks are "All In" Roster Building Mode

Hyak

Reaction score
When Pete and John came aboard in 2010, phase 1 was to rebuild the roster and instill the "program" that Pete installed at USC.

Phase 2 was seeing it come together with being a legitimate contender - safe to say 2012 and 2013 was that phase.

Phase 3 is where I think they are now - 2014 forward. Every year the goal is to win a Super Bowl. Anything less is a disappointment (I purposely did not say failure).

As such, we see that the core guys are getting extended for the football long term. I expect them to extend RW and Wagner this offseason and probably work out a new deal with Lynch too.

As a result of this, they may be willing to take some chances either in FA or the draft to find an impact guy or two in this realm as opposed to sitting tight with what they have and letting FA and the 10 or 11 draft picks come to them. I think the roster right now is past the point of seeing 10 or 11 rookies make the team.

Maybe it's swinging for the fences for someone like Suh or trading picks to move up in the draft or acquire a proven receiver. It's just an interesting dynamic to watch. Regardless, they still need to draft/scout well to supplement the roster for depth and I am sure they will.

Seafan

Reaction score
The OP didn't say rebuild, he said build. The team is ALWAYS in build mode. But obviously the team is not in game playing mode so they are ALL IN build mode. Easy isn't it?

Hawker

Reaction score
I think the title is a bit misleading. I believe the OP is stating that we are NOT in roster-rebuild mode, rather, roster bolstering.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. My point is that we may see more moves done to immediately address roster needs given the compete for the SB era that we are currently in.

I.E - Considering a guy like Suh or trading to move up for a #1 WR or acquire one from elsewhere. We've already seen it before with the Harvin trade.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I agree with not having 10 rookies make the team, but not sure if that means compiling picks to draft in higher slots. I still think this FO loves draft picks and want to enter/leave each draft with about 10 picks/players. It adds to the comPETE philosophy, bring in as many new guys as possible and have the best ones win spots. They will reach that goal now that the compensatory part of the process has kicked in. Guys will leave and the Hawks will get picks for that (they will be receiving 4 picks this year).

With all these picks it's just going to be so tough to win a spot, but it should help create better depth and thus make a better team. The FO has identified the core and has done a great job keeping that core. Now it's about keeping the depth as good as possible which is going to be the fun part to watch. The Hawks are in such good hands and have the people in place to keep this going a very long time.

sutz

Reaction score
I prefer to call it 'sustaining' mode. But, if they do stumble across a Free Agent that could have an immediate impact, it wouldn't surprise me if they rolled the dice.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JTB":2tfpbsc6 said:
Sorry for the confusion. My point is that we may see more moves done to immediately address roster needs given the compete for the SB era that we are currently in.

I.E - Considering a guy like Suh or trading to move up for a #1 WR or acquire one from elsewhere. We've already seen it before with the Harvin trade.

It'd be shocking to me if either of these things happen. John and Pete's history with FA's and the draft have been to trade down for value, not up.........and Harvin is literally the only big ticket FA they coveted, and that failed miserably.

It's pretty evident that their draft philosophy is the more picks the more chances at hitting on players, not trading up and giving up picks.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
They very well could but this regime also likes to go against the grain a lot too. I was surprised when they traded for Harvin and then when they traded him to the Jets.

Signing Avril and Bennett also came out of nowhere.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2htkcj63 said:
JTB":2htkcj63 said:

It'd be shocking to me if either of these things happen. John and Pete's history with FA's and the draft have been to trade down for value, not up.........and Harvin is literally the only big ticket FA they coveted, and that failed miserably.

It's pretty evident that their draft philosophy is the more picks the more chances at hitting on players, not trading up and giving up picks.
Except I'm pretty sure they've traded up in the later rounds when it was warranted. They just don't do it in the first (or at least they haven't) because of the cost to do so. It wouldn't surprise me if they trade out of the first again, since a pick in the 30's is basically a 2d round pick anyway, and there's often a hungry team early in the 2d willing to roll the dice for someone. It's fairly easy to bundle some 4's and 5's or 6-7's to move around on the second day. We seem to have an abundance of those. IIRC we can't use comp picks for trades, but they provide insurance that we'll still have picks there if we do some wheeling and dealing.

I don't see any big ticket FA's happening this year. Hell, we're already competitive, given that certain players recover in the off-season, and I don't think we have any injuries anybody would call career threatening. Even if Earl, Lane, or Sherm don't make it back for opening day, I think we can depend on all of them being available by Oct 1st at the least. That means current depth is important, of course, but it was anyway.

Right now, I still consider the Hawks as playoff competitive, even near certain given state of the rest of the division.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ivk15tz said:
and Harvin is literally the only big ticket FA they coveted, and that failed miserably.
That's not true, they tried to trade for both Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall. Cliff Avril, while didn't take top money, was a top FA in 2013.

I don't think the Harvin trade failing has any barrings on future acquisitions. That's not how this FO works. They leave no stone unturned and they will continue whatever they deem it takes to stay on top.

jblaze

Reaction score
This year's offseason is likely the most important to date. We've got our core locked up, now we really need to draft smartly to fill the holes around those core players. It's critical that we hit on a lot of these players because it's cheap talent for 4 year when you're spending quite a bit on your core in other spots. Being able to hit on rookies and second year players allows you to splurge a bit more in other areas.

We also had a ton of IR this year. We need to work hard to get these guys healthy, especially after extended postseasons the past two years.

I think PC/JS stick with the plan and extend our own players who have earned it. That means they won't go out and get any big name FA's except for some role players. They're in very good position this year in the draft due to their comp picks for Tate, Browner, Giacommini and McDonald. We should get a 4, 4, 5, 6 out of that. They love volume drafting and that typically means they have to move down but these comp picks allow them to have that many without moving down which should be helpful.

Early draft considerations to me are WR, CB and DL. Other positions can wait til the 4th or later.

Trust in the process. It's worked well for us so far. Let's not bet the farm and sellout to get a big player or two.

Hawks46

Reaction score
sc85sis":33c17mrb said:
Reload, not rebuild.

This.

We are going to constantly be churning our depth, trying to upgrade literally every position behind starters. This is why we were so damned good in 2013, as we had such good depth that our injuries didn't really affect us as much.

I get what the OP is saying. We have enough solid starters, signed to long term contracts, that we can afford to spend some draft capital when needed to make some moves. Not every rookie is even going to make this team, so it's almost like some of the draft picks are going to be wasted anyways.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2ok6iu10 said:
I agree with not having 10 rookies make the team, but not sure if that means compiling picks to draft in higher slots. I still think this FO loves draft picks and want to enter/leave each draft with about 10 picks/players. It adds to the comPETE philosophy, bring in as many new guys as possible and have the best ones win spots. They will reach that goal now that the compensatory part of the process has kicked in. Guys will leave and the Hawks will get picks for that (they will be receiving 4 picks this year).

With all these picks it's just going to be so tough to win a spot, but it should help create better depth and thus make a better team. The FO has identified the core and has done a great job keeping that core. Now it's about keeping the depth as good as possible which is going to be the fun part to watch. The Hawks are in such good hands and have the people in place to keep this going a very long time.

trade them for later or for better quality draft picks maybe?

Such a waste to have all these picks with so few spots available. It would be nice to have them when key player contracts are up or something to that effect.

Goodwin Seahawk

Reaction score
jblaze":2pk0zmhm said:
This year's offseason is likely the most important to date. We've got our core locked up, now we really need to draft smartly to fill the holes around those core players. It's critical that we hit on a lot of these players because it's cheap talent for 4 year when you're spending quite a bit on your core in other spots. Being able to hit on rookies and second year players allows you to splurge a bit more in other areas.

We also had a ton of IR this year. We need to work hard to get these guys healthy, especially after extended postseasons the past two years.

I think PC/JS stick with the plan and extend our own players who have earned it. That means they won't go out and get any big name FA's except for some role players. They're in very good position this year in the draft due to their comp picks for Tate, Browner, Giacommini and McDonald. We should get a 4, 4, 5, 6 out of that. They love volume drafting and that typically means they have to move down but these comp picks allow them to have that many without moving down which should be helpful.

Early draft considerations to me are WR, CB and DL. Other positions can wait til the 4th or later.

Trust in the process. It's worked well for us so far. Let's not bet the farm and sellout to get a big player or two.

Great points. The only thing I disagree with are your early draft considerations. I think DL is pretty stout if everyone can come back healthy - 6 of the 15 IR guys were DL. I'd much prefer them to draft OL in the first couple rounds, then try to hit on WR/DB in the middle rounds. Just my opinion which ain't worth much.

umadbrolob

Reaction score
It amazes we how many OL we have on futures/PS/IR... will be interesting to see if we draft a RT, while moving Britt to LG, or keep Britt in place, cut Carp and promote Bailey to LG.

Suh, VJax & Fitz are unrealistic. I buy more into the chatter that we are aiming for a Jordan Cameron/Jermaine Gresham/Charles Clay younger & faster TE, if any FA were to be brought in.

I think that a LEO to backup Avril and Irvin would be great in one of the first 3 rounds.