POLL: What should we do with Darrell Bevell?

What should we do with Darrell Bevell?

• Fire him as soon as possible because of his poor playcalling

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Fire him if we see he has lost the confidence of the players

Votes: 39 26.9%
  • Keep him, but on a short leash with some play calling.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Keep him, and realize that he's still our best option as OC

Votes: 46 31.7%

• Total voters

Seahawk

Reaction score
Boneheaded play calling and Idiotic clock management need to be looked at and fixed or next man up.
Short leash needed until he corrects his ways.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I'll be honest and say, "I don't know."

There are plenty of times his choices make no sense to me. Conversely, there have been times when I think the offensive play design has been very good. I think he's a mixed bag, and that's all he's ever going to be.

If there is an outstanding potential OC out there that we could grab right now, maybe that's an option. But I don't know if that's the case (and pehawk, this isn't just a "name someone better" dodge). I don't like the idea of just kicking Bevell to the curb out of anger or frustration - especially since he and Wilson seem to have a really good relationship. I also tend to think that continuity is pretty important for a team, and I'd be concerned about how the 2015 season would be affected if we lose both our coordinators.

So, there. A bunch of words to say that I have no idea.

OP
OP
Austin Hawk

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3iht9nby said:
I'll be honest and say, "I don't know."

There are plenty of times his choices make no sense to me. Conversely, there have been times when I think the offensive play design has been very good. I think he's a mixed bag, and that's all he's ever going to be.

If there is an outstanding potential OC out there that we could grab right now, maybe that's an option. But I don't know if that's the case (and pehawk, this isn't just a "name someone better" dodge). I don't like the idea of just kicking Bevell to the curb out of anger or frustration - especially since he and Wilson seem to have a really good relationship. I also tend to think that continuity is pretty important for a team, and I'd be concerned about how the 2015 season would be affected if we lose both our coordinators.

So, there. A bunch of words to say that I have no idea.

I'm kind of in the same boat. My initial reaction was to ban him from football forever, lol, but if ANYONE has learned from what happened Sunday, it would be him. My gut tells me that Pete gave him the go-ahead to call a pass play, but that Bevell was the one that chose WHICH pass play to run (the wrong one, as we know).

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
Darrell Bevell is to the Hawks what Mike McCoy was to the Broncos when Tebow was Denver's QB.

Both of these clowns kept their QB's chained to a "system" for the first 25 minutes of each half, only opening things up right at the end and they had no other choice. In the case of McCoy, he was so unimaginative that he sometimes waited a full 57 or 58 minutes before letting Tebow scramble around and make some plays happen.

Why can't Russell Wilson be great for 30 minutes each half? Why does Bevell insist on optimizing for a "Field Position Only" offense (just like McCoy & John Fox did) when the offense has the horsepower to actually run up the score?

But with Quinn leaving, Carroll will not want to start over on Defense and Offense @ the same time. Bevell will be here at least another year. And since dogs can't change their spots, he'll be optimizing things for a 2-minute miracle push by Wilson at the end of each half. Get used to it.

firebee

Reaction score
Fire Him Immediately!!! Not just because of his playcalling, but because HE DOES NOT HOLD HIMSELF ACCOUNTABLE.
If someone doesn't hold themselves accountable, they don't learn from their mistakes. I saw him in a press conference. Blah blah blah... "I called the play"... "I thought we had it"... Russell Wilson made a great throw" blah blah blah... "Ricardo Lockette should've been more physical and bumped Butler off the route"

This POS makes, not even arguable, the worst playcall in NFL History in the Super Bowl and then tries to defend the play by throwing Ricardo Lockette under the bus for not being more physical and getting the ball away from Butler on a horrible horrible playcall. Lockette should've been more physical and bumped Butler off the route??? Why?? So he could get an offensive pass interference, draw a flag, and give Bevell another scapegoat for the reason why the worst playcall in NFL history wasn't his fault?

I really tried to keep all the what ifs in perspective and tried letting go of that retarded ass playcall to give Bevell some kind of benefit of the doubt, but when he came out and tried throwing Lockette under the bus for not being more physical and not bumping Butler off the route... That was his death sentence in my book. He just wants to make up excuses and take no responsibility for being a complete retard. If I ever meet him, I'd be very likely to beat the living crap out of him... Not because he called a retarded play, but because he tried to make up an excuse and throw a player under the bus to justify why his retarded call didn't work. HE IS A "CLASS A" POS.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Since Pete has come out and openly stated that he supports Bevell and added that he's an important part of our future, I think it really doesn't matter what we want. Pete's keeping him and the players are (at least publicly) supporting him. Nothing will change for now.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I'm in the I don't know camp. It's knee jerk to say fire him simply for the call. After all Pete is the man. After two seasons (2012 I felt we played more open) him doing the same thing over and over Pete could have told him to change so Pete is okay with it.

The throwing of Lockett under the bus needs to be adressed. This group in particular is sensitive and protective. If the trust is gone Pete needs to consider it.

theascension

Reaction score
4th in Drive scoring % since 2012 with Wilson, Lynch and an ever changing question mark at receiver/tight end/fullback. Only behind NE, GB and DEN. Really? It's crazy to fire him. Absolutely crazy. Who out there is better?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2fy9p9ob said:
I'm in the I don't know camp. It's knee jerk to say fire him simply for the call. After all Pete is the man. After two seasons (2012 I felt we played more open) him doing the same thing over and over Pete could have told him to change so Pete is okay with it.

The throwing of Lockett under the bus needs to be adressed. This group in particular is sensitive and protective. If the trust is gone Pete needs to consider it.

It's not just about one call though. I was one of the people four months ago who wanted the play calling shifted to Tom Cable because of Bevell's consistent inconsistency and tendency to abandon the running game at critical junctures.

firebee

Reaction score
theascension":3tegqvxl said:
4th in Drive scoring % since 2012 with Wilson, Lynch and an ever changing question mark at receiver/tight end/fullback. Only behind NE, GB and DEN. Really? It's crazy to fire him. Absolutely crazy. Who out there is better?

Chris Petersen - Huskies Head Coach... Former Head Coach for Boise St.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I'll be the smart ass here..."We" don't do anything with Bevell. Sorry, but I have no say in what goes on at the VMAC.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I say forgive but don't forget; as long as he doesn't lose the players.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
The play calling is weighed against the Head coaches opinion. We are beating a dead horse. One game at a time, lets get back the HFA and we will be partying in Santa Clara.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Go with what got us to 2 Super Bowls in a roll as much as we can - players and coaches, is how I'm voting.

theascension

Reaction score
I don't think you can judge by that single play call though, considering the MASSIVE amount of offensive turmoil we went through this year.. that should break most teams. Losing Miller was huge - we used him at fullback and in interesting sets, was clutch on 3rd down. Tate was a beautiful deep threat, caught almost everything - compare to Kearse. Coleman was a great play action threat and Bevell's kind of fullback. The whole Harvin thing mid-year and still producing huge numbers offensively - 600yards in Arizona.
I haven't been a fan of every play call but overall it's hard to imagine who could have done much better.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
We all had a knee jerk reaction moments and even hours after that play, being satisfied with nothing less than having Bevell’s head on a pike, parading it through the streets of Seattle. Thankfully for most of us, including the people who make their living covering sports now have a better understanding of why the play was called. Still not agreeing on when it was called, which we should maybe have ran Lynch , then Pass to stop the clock, then run one last time. Nut it is what it is. Bevell should not be fired over that play. This is the same Bevell that called plays in during the Green Bay miracle drive and overtime, and the same Bevell who called plays that got us to the 1 Yard line in this last drive.

firebee

Reaction score
SPIRITOF12":1jcvck45 said:
We all had a knee jerk reaction moments and even hours after that play, being satisfied with nothing less than having Bevell’s head on a pike, parading it through the streets of Seattle. Thankfully for most of us, including the people who make their living covering sports now have a better understanding of why the play was called. Still not agreeing on when it was called, which we should maybe have ran Lynch , then Pass to stop the clock, then run one last time. Nut it is what it is. Bevell should not be fired over that play. This is the same Bevell that called plays in during the Green Bay miracle drive and overtime, and the same Bevell who called plays that got us to the 1 Yard line in this last drive.

Sorry... This is the other part I disagree with... It's not Bevell's playcalling that has got us miracle drives. It's Russell Wilson and our players making exceptional plays out of broken plays that got us our wins. Bevell's pass plays suck - pure and simple. His routes are simplistic, his route combinations do nothing to split coverages. This is why our receivers don't get open on almost every play and Wilson has to scramble around until a receiver breaks free on a backyard scramble after the play has broken down. Almost every great pass play that's been made this year has been made because Wilson and our receivers improvise... Not because Bevell called some brilliant play with great design. Kearse was covered on that miracle catch... That wasn't Bevell's playcalling that got us to the 1 yard line. That was an absolutely amazing miracle catch made by Kearse that shouldn't have been caught because he was covered.

People need to stop looking at all the amazing plays our offense makes as a result of Bevell's playcalling and start seeing those plays for what they are... Amazing plays made by players that improvised because a horribly designed play broke down. This team doesn't win because of Bevell's playcalling. They win in spite of Bevell's playcalling. Bevell needs to go or we won't be resigning any of our offensive players and that may well include Russell Wilson.