Russ isn't second guessing the "play call"

sutz

Reaction score
He's a competitor. He WANTS the ball in his hands when the game is on the line.

I can't fault him for that.

And yeah, that last line sounds really, really good.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Of course he is going to say that publicly, what else is he going to say, "it was a stupid play call, and Bevell is the worst OC in league"??????? Ask a lot of players behind closed doors with no chance of it getting out to the public and I'm sure their opinion of that play will be the same as a majority of us here are saying.

He, Pete and most others are going to "circle the wagons" on this subject publicly.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":29m10dn4 said:
Of course he is going to say that publicly, what else is he going to say, "it was a stupid play call, and Bevell is the worst OC in league"??????? Ask a lot of players behind closed doors with no chance of it getting out to the public and I'm sure their opinion of that play will be the same as a majority of us here are saying.

He, Pete and most others are going to "circle the wagons" on this subject publicly.

Well then I'll give him credit for using his head after the fact.
And point out that he is doing what a true leader should do.

I think there are plenty of selfish guys out there, that would say or do other wise.
He could easily say other wise if he wanted to. Might not be the best thing but he could.
I give him props for the statement and love the last line.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Last year Kaepernick said the throw to end the game for the niners was the right call too.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
pmedic920":1qnx25n8 said:
Sports Hernia":1qnx25n8 said:

I think there are plenty of selfish guys out there, that would say or do other wise.
He could easily say other wise if he wanted to. Might not be the best thing but he could.

:13:

kidhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":ud1igbmj said:
Sports Hernia":ud1igbmj said:

You mean he doesn't throw his coaches under the bus like a certain double checker?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Double-checker? Don't you mean throw players under the bus like a Darrell Bevell?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1srn0wbf said:
Last year Kaepernick said the throw to end the game for the niners was the right call too.

It was except for the fact it was Sherman back there.
Irvin had a bead on Kaep to keep him from doing damage by running.

It was an all-world play by Sherm just like Butler's play was a championship-quality play, but from a rookie.
Kaep/Crabtree were a little off, and Wilson/Kearse/Lockette were just a little off. 200lb Jermaine Kearse couldn't blow 230lb Brandon Browner off the line to make the play work correctly. Lockette was a half-step slow to the ball, and didn't seal the DB out with his body. Game over.

Maybe the major difference was that Russell couldn't really "read" the play in the split second he had. Kaep at least did get to make a read.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3o6fnjdb said:

Yep, it's QB speak. You never publicly question the coaches and try and drum up controversy, especially considering the fact that they put the ball in his hands to make the play. It would come off as 1) questioning the coaches decision making skills and 2) that the QB doubts their ability to make a play and win the game.

KatarHol

Reaction score
That is why Wilson is a winner. That is quite refreshing after watching some of the losers on here whine about the call for the last three days.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Not only is he not second guessing it, he was in fact advocating to Bevell for throwing the ball before the play was called.

After Seattle kicks a field goal to take a 17-14 lead early in the third quarter, Wilson is shown looking at plays on a Surface tablet and telling offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell “have confidence in me down there, now. There’s some stuff there.”

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... y-mystery/

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2h2j8mrj said:
Not only is he not second guessing it, he was in fact advocating to Bevell for throwing the ball before the play was called.

After Seattle kicks a field goal to take a 17-14 lead early in the third quarter, Wilson is shown looking at plays on a Surface tablet and telling offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell “have confidence in me down there, now. There’s some stuff there.”

That was before the TD throw to Baldwin. The article you linked mentions it's possible the talk back then played a role.

Polaris

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3tzwovw6 said:

Throwing the ball in that situation actually makes sense especially when you hear Pete's breakdown of the situation. It was the particular choice of play I have issues with.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I dont expect anyone to come out publicly...but behind closed doors I guarantee they are saying why not feed the beast on that one....

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Polaris":ndosjwzz said:
hawknation2015":ndosjwzz said:

Throwing the ball in that situation actually makes sense especially when you hear Pete's breakdown of the situation. It was the particular choice of play I have issues with.

No, no . . . I will go to my death believing the only correct decision on the one-freaking-yard line was to run the ball in with Lynch or Wilson, your most trusted assets. Bevell badly overthought this in trying to both run the clock down in case they did score AND conserve enough time to run four plays if need be. His only thought in that moment should have been the best and safest way to score a touchdown.

Of course, Wilson is going to want the ball in his hands . . . I just don't think choosing to throw it in the air on the one-yard line was the correct course of action. A coach should be able to do what is best for the team, that is what is most likely to score the touchdown and least likely to end in disaster.

RiverDog

Reaction score
If Russell truly believes that (I don't think he does), then he's as guilty as Bevell. What should have gone through Russell's head with that play call came in was "WTF? A slant pass to Lockette? If that play isn't there, I'm not throwing it."

I do think that this will make Russell a better quarterback. It is not required that the QB and the OC be on exactly the same page in their thought process all the time. Peyton Manning argues with his coordinators all the time. Russell is going into his 4th season, so he's now a veteran quarterback, and if he doesn't have complete confidence in the play call from the sidelines, he needs to have the courage to check out of it to something else. He was not forced to make that throw. He could have just as easily pulled it back and hit Beast coming out of the backfield, who was wide open, or roll to his right with the option to hit a receiver that comes open, take it in himself, or run out of bounds and preserve our timeout.

KatarHol

Reaction score
RiverDog":18qoasm1 said:
If Russell truly believes that (I don't think he does), then he's as guilty as Bevell. What should have gone through Russell's head with that play call came in was "WTF? A slant pass to Lockette? If that play isn't there, I'm not throwing it."

I do think that this will make Russell a better quarterback. It is not required that the QB and the OC be on exactly the same page in their thought process all the time. Peyton Manning argues with his coordinators all the time. Russell is going into his 4th season, so he's now a veteran quarterback, and if he doesn't have complete confidence in the play call from the sidelines, he needs to have the courage to check out of it to something else. He was not forced to make that throw. He could have just as easily pulled it back and hit Beast coming out of the backfield, who was wide open, or roll to his right with the option to hit a receiver that comes open, take it in himself, or run out of bounds and preserve our timeout.
Comical

hawknation2015

Reaction score
RiverDog":12iueqr1 said:

Based on everything he was taught, he kind of did have to make that throw. That was his No. 1 read and it was open -- it was just an incredible play by the corner to bridge that gap in a flash and knock Lockette off that route, which is always the risk when you throw the ball in tight quarters. And he couldn't check out of it to a run play because of the personnel and the defensive alignment.

I hope they do grow from this but I worry that they won't because they are all digging in their heals to quiet the scrutiny.

Did Pete Carroll learn anything from pushing out his last consistent OC -- Norm Chow? I don't think so. And now he's just doubling down on Bevell.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
He might not be questioning the play call but he is clearly questioning his throw on the inside. One the one yard line putting that ball out there high and leading him on his right shoulder was just plain stupid. Maybe for the first time he was throwing due to his lack of height. Why he didnt throw that ball low an inside where only Locket could catch it will forever haunt him. Even if its incomplete he has 2 more downs. It had nothing to do with going for the win. It was a flat out bad throw. Throw it where only the rec can catch it. We here it all the time. He made a bone head mistake, Bevel is taking all the heat because Russ sh** the bed.