Tom Brady, Patriots beat Seahawks' vaunted D with savvy plan

Jville

Reaction score
Analysis is much more interesting than emotional blame games and knee jerk mud slinging.

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000467953/article/tom-brady-patriots-beat-seahawks-vaunted-d-with-savvy-plan[/urltargetblank]

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Jville":1b0r53u9 said:
Analysis is much more interesting than emotional blame games and knee jerk mud slinging.

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000467953/article/tom-brady-patriots-beat-seahawks-vaunted-d-with-savvy-plan[/urltargetblank]
Having Brady throw that pick so Lane could be horribly injured in an incredibly violent tackle was a genius move by Belichick, that's for sure. I know I didn't see it coming. Engineering Avril's flukey-seeming concussion was similarly shrewd.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":3qemus7f said:
Jville":3qemus7f said:

Having Brady throw that pick so Lane could be horribly injured in an incredibly violent tackle was a genius move by Belichick, that's for sure. I know I didn't see it coming. Engineering Avril's flukey-seeming concussion was similarly shrewd.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
And how did he manage to separate Earl's shoulder, tear Sherman's elbow, and mess up Kam's knee?

Belichick is a true marvel. :pukeface:

kearly

Reaction score
Their plan wasn't savvy, it was exactly what 10 previous SB winning QBs had done and lost with. Difference was, Brady played the game of his life and injuries forced a major mismatch with Simon on Edelman.

And no one would be writing about their game plan if Darrell Bevell was a competent OC in the final minute.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":1n5amtdh said:
Jville":1n5amtdh said:

There are probably Patriot fans lurking on this site who believe that Belicheck and company had some sort of genius game plan, thats how brainwashed they all have become to moronic mediots telling them what to believe.

God I wish we could play the game over again, but transport it back to December. I know it doesnt work that way, but a guy can wish :)

Gronkzilla

Reaction score
kearly":13waqmbt said:
Their plan wasn't savvy, it was exactly what 10 previous SB winning QBs had done and lost with. Difference was, Brady played the game of his life and injuries forced a major mismatch with Simon on Edelman.

And no one would be writing about their game plan if Darrell Bevell was a competent OC in the final minute.

I would say those two interceptions should have been avoided. Lanes interception was just a dumb throw right into coverage. Even if he isn't getting hit as he throws, that ball was going towards coverage (Brady tends to have 1 brain fart a game lately, must be from old age). The Wagner interception was just a great play by Bobby Wagner, Tom tried to lead Gronk around the zone coverage and Wagner just drifted perfectly. Brady probably should have checked that one down but I can't blame him for being aggressive and trying to make a small window throw, he usually makes them.

But to me, this was far from the game of his life, but he had one hell of a 4th quarter that is for sure.

Hawks46

Reaction score
You have to give them credit. The way they played completely took Kam and Earl out of the game. We hardly saw anything from them.

gulliver

Reaction score
Hawks46":zg2cbm8s said:
You have to give them credit. The way they played completely took Kam and Earl out of the game. We hardly saw anything from them.
Yeah... it kind of helped that both of them should have been sitting on the bench thinking about their offseason surgeries rather than playing through big injuries.

Anyway, credit to NE for getting where they got. They came in and executed the game plan. But nobody gives them credit if DB doesn't s--- the bed with a minute to go, and 6 inches with a timeout. Tom Brady had his head in his hands and Belichick was already preparing his defense to the inevitable claims of "you can't win when you don't cheat."

I am curious, Belichick being the genius that he is... how did he engineer having your 2 deep out for the season at nose tackle, AND ETIII playing through a dislocated shoulder, AND Sherm playing through a sprained elbow with tendons like spaghetti, AND Kam playing through heel spurs and a knee injury, AND knocking your all-important slot corner Jeremy Lane out with a grotesque broken wing in the first quarter, AND knocking out your key pass rusher Cliff Avril at a key time in the game? And finally to cap it off by seizing control of Darrell's mind and causing him to throw into goal line traffic with the game all but in hand... I mean that was just completely masterful of Bill and Tom to engineer all those injuries and mind control decisions.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Brooks jumping on the bandwagon, I see.

There was nothing revolutionary about what McDaniels drew up. Using motion and shifts to reveal coverage is basic OC'ing. Most coordinators do it.

I enjoy the part where he discusses the first play as if it was a clever 6-yard gain and completely ignores that Sherman would have stopped him for one yard if he hadn't missed the tackle. The third play again features a defender falling down behind the speedy Edelman, otherwise it's a fourth down. The Gronk-on-Wright is a basic mismatch that any OC worth his salt (including Bevell) can create. None of this is rocket science.

He admitted that Brady executed a dink-and-dunk approach on par with Rivers/Romo earlier in the season. But that in itself a compliment to the Legion of Boom. By definition, there is really no way to shut down a dink-and-dunk offense, so allowing it isn't a failure for a defense. It's a compliment, because it means the QB has to take the hardest route possible to victory. Brady did.

And targeting a second-year CB who was injured his entire first year and routinely exploited up until the current game isn't "outstanding awareness and football intelligence". I'd expect that from any starting QB. Wipe the drool off your chin, Brooks.

He also forgets that the Seahawks don't have a "fierce pass rush". They have one solid rusher, the ineffective Avril, the inscrutable Irvin, and that's it. And after saying Seattle's O-line "held up" against said "fierce" pass rush, he goes right on to say that Brady's gameplan involved getting the ball out quickly. Which doesn't require the O-line to do much. I don't remember many deep routes at all from the Pats. Frankly, I think they respected Seattle's weakened DL more than they needed to.

So many problems with that article.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Jville":lxnqbuqy said:

Speaking of good analysis, here is the analysis of "That Play" done by PFF. It has some good insight and background as well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... that-play/

Sorry for the loss but you guys played one hell of a game. So did the Patriots and this truly go down as one of the best Super Bowl's ever.

Win, lose or draw, it is epic contests like this (and the NFCCG) that keep me watching the NFL.

See you guys next year and congratulations on an awesome season.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Hawks46":1vxkx6o7 said:

The fact that Earl was playing with one shoulder and Kam with one leg obviously had something to do with it, and the fact that Sherman couldn't jam anyone like he's used to with his elbow torn to pieces.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
PackerNation":37ika3y3 said:
Jville":37ika3y3 said:

Speaking of good analysis, here is the analysis of "That Play" done by PFF. It has some good insight and background as well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... that-play/

Sorry for the loss but you guys played one hell of a game. So did the Patriots and this truly go down as one of the best Super Bowl's ever.

Win, lose or draw, it is epic contests like this (and the NFCCG) that keep me watching the NFL.

See you guys next year and congratulations on an awesome season.

Thanks for the contribution ...... nice analysis. Look forward to a rematch with the Packers. The future of Green Bay looks promising. :th2thumbs:

PackerNation

Reaction score
Jville":1y5u0t00 said:
Thanks for the contribution ...... nice analysis. Look forward to a rematch with the Packers. The future of Green Bay looks promising. :th2thumbs:

So does Seattle! See you next year in Lambeau and then the NFCCG again for another epic game! But we get to win the next one! :D

:thirishdrinkers:

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
They were good enough to exploit the slight slowdown from injuries, and I don't think most teams have a QB/WR combo good enough to do that - the Pats did.

Great game.

kf3339

Reaction score
Gronkzilla":a6pepu6h said:
kearly":a6pepu6h said:

I would say those two interceptions should have been avoided. Lanes interception was just a dumb throw right into coverage. Even if he isn't getting hit as he throws, that ball was going towards coverage (Brady tends to have 1 brain fart a game lately, must be from old age). The Wagner interception was just a great play by Bobby Wagner, Tom tried to lead Gronk around the zone coverage and Wagner just drifted perfectly. Brady probably should have checked that one down but I can't blame him for being aggressive and trying to make a small window throw, he usually makes them.

But to me, this was far from the game of his life, but he had one hell of a 4th quarter that is for sure.

The game is over. GET LOST.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Yeah, was a good game plan but it was nothing new. Unfortunately we just picked a bad night to miss tackles and let them get a bunch of yards after catch.

Mick063

Reaction score
The cover 3 can't handle covering running backs as receivers.

The blueprint is out there. It was out there before the Super Bowl. It was the Rams winning drive.

Forever more, Seattle will get a steady diet of Shane Vereen clones running delayed wheel routes. They will be unable to stop it. Death by dink and dunk, week after week.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Mick063":25bf6t04 said:
The cover 3 can't handle covering running backs as receivers.

The blueprint is out there. It was out there before the Super Bowl. It was the Rams winning drive.

Forever more, Seattle will get a steady diet of Shane Vereen clones running delayed wheel routes. They will be unable to stop it. Death by dink and dunk, week after week.

:sarcasm_on: Yes, suddenly this 'blueprint' has been revealed that nobody had a clue about at the beginning of this season, or the last two seasons for that matter! I guess it's a miracle that we didn't have 'death by dink and dunk' all season long, every single game. It's blooming miraculous that we were able to get a single win, right? :sarcasm_off:

Damn, what is up with some of you?! Are you taking over for Blitzer?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":ps263ead said:

Word. Their plan wasn't saavy at all. All the Patriots did was to attack the one glaring weakness in our defense that has been there for a few years now. They ran clear out routes and kept pounding away on those short underneath routes right over the middle. They forced our DB's to play against the threat of the deep ball to Gronkowski (using him as a decoy) ... and again, and again, and again killed us with Vereen and Edelman on those short routes. If you've paid attention at all over the past several years, you've seen that that has been the Seahawks Achilles' Heel. That, and as we've noted on many occasions the Seahawks defenders have had a lot of trouble covering those exceptionally quick, shifty WR's/RB's for some time now. I could have drawn up that game plan. It was very effective, but far from revolutionary.

And you're absolutely right. All of that said is completely irrelevant if Darrell Bevell doesn't overthink things in the last 30 seconds ... and puts the ball either in the hands of Beast Mode or in Russell Wilson on a bootleg option route. Completely ridiculous.

Man, 3 days later and the stench of this one just will not go away for me. I don't know about you guys, but I feel a bit like the puppy who wet on the carpet and whose master keeps rubbing his nose in it again and again. I think I've got to turn off sports radio for awhile, as I feel like I keep getting my nose rubbed in that last play every time I flip it on. I'm hoping for the Seahawks players that this loss becomes their tackling fuel (i.e The Waterboy) that powers them all the way back to the Super Bowl again next year.

Latest posts