The 2013 Spurs

pehawk

Reaction score
2013 NBA Finals. Game 6...the Heat hosting the Spurs. The Spurs are up so big late into the game...plastic was already affixed to their lockers and the champagne was on ice. The NBA was even sure of the outcome, they had the trophy out and we're readying for the ceremony. Then, inexplicably, amongst an already vacated crowd the inconceivable occurs. Somehow, someway, the Heat pull off a miracle to win the game and stay alive to game 7. The Spurs never recovered from that, and lost the next game and the championship. They lost the championship after they seemingly had it within their grasp.

The next year the Spurs we're on a mission. How do we know that? Because they told us they we're on a mission. Usually a mild mannered group, with no ego in them, the Spurs we're honest with their comments. They stated redemption as that's season mission. And they also stated they wanted another crack at the Heat. They canned the trite "well, we really don't care who we play" for the uncharacteristically beautiful "we want the Heat again".

The Spurs did get their wish. They faced and SLAUGHTERED the Heat. In some of the games the Spurs ran up 30+ point leads on the Heat.

Lets hope our Seahawks learn from that Spurs team. Lets hope that the team, already known for creating slights and carving chips on their shoulder, uses the SB's outcome as motivation. I wouldn't be surprised at all if their goal is an undefeated season. REALLY. They lost a chance to be the first 3-Pete...so what's left other than going undefeated?

XOXO

Sean Elliot's Kidney

byau

Reaction score
pehawk":d9p4hd4r said:
2013 NBA Finals. Game 6...the Heat hosting the Spurs. The Spurs are up so big late into the game plastic was already affixed to their lockers and the champagne was on ice. The NBA was even sure of the outcome, they had the trophy out and we're readying for the ceremony. Then, inexplicably, amongst an already vacated crowd the inconceivable occurs. Somehow, someway, the Heat pull off a miracle to win the game and stay alive to game 7. The Spurs never recovered from that, and lost the next game and the championship. They lost the championship after they seemingly had it within their grasp.

The next year the Spurs we're on a mission. How do we know that? Because they told us they we're on a mission. Usually a mild mannered group, with no ego in them, the Spurs we're honest with their comments. They stated redemption as that's season mission. And, they also stated they wanted another crack at the Heat. They canned the trite "well, we really don't care who we play" for the uncharacteristically beautiful "we want the Heat again".

The Spurs did get their wish. They faced and SLAUGHTERED the Heat. In some of the games the Spurs ran up 30+ point leads on the Heat.

Lets hope our Seahawks learn from that Spurs team. Lets hope that the team, already known for creating slights and carving chips on their shoulder, uses the SB's outcome as motivation. I wouldn't be surprised at all if their goal is an undefeated season. REALLY. They lost a chance to be the first 3-Pete...so what's left other than going undefeated?

XOXO

Sean Elliot's Kidney

My thoughts exactly, requoted because it's worth reading again.

The difference? The Spurs are towards the end of their run, the Seahawks are just at the beginning.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I love this parallel however.. that Spurs team didn't need to give Kawhi Leonard 100M + the following offseason (Wilson) while losing a key component on the team (Maxwell)

Also.. the 2012 loss to the Falcons was arguably our "Spurs 2013" moment .. we saw that fuel them to a Super Bowl the following year. Can they do the same thing after this? That remains to be seen.

soxhawk

Reaction score
I'd love for them to come back with a vengeance. Unfortunately NFL has less room for error with a 16 game season and more injuries. We did pretty well this year despite our injuries. If we stay healthier next season I expect us to outperform 2014.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Beautiful game... Beautiful and hopeful comparison.

Hurt my heart to see Ginobili with a championship hat the following year tho

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":37hbl8q5 said:
I love this parallel however.. that Spurs team didn't need to give Kawhi Leonard 100M + the following offseason (Wilson) while losing a key component on the team (Maxwell)

Also.. the 2012 loss to the Falcons was arguably our "Spurs 2013" moment .. we saw that fuel them to a Super Bowl the following year. Can they do the same thing after this? That remains to be seen.

Will the DL be better next year? Yup

The offensive line? Yup

The WR corp? Yup

Will overall depth be better? Yup

I don't think Maxwell's as key as everyone says. That CB spot will forever be a revolving door based on sheer economics. I trust Pete's ability to keep turning out Lane's, Maxwell's, Browners, Thurmonds, etc. It's his specialty. If there's any position on the team the Hawks can do more with less, it's the secondary.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pehawk":2vehitku said:
Hasselbeck":2vehitku said:

Will the DL be better next year? Yup

The offensive line? Yup

The WR corp? Yup

Will overall depth be better? Yup

I don't think Maxwell's as key as everyone says. That CB spot will forever be a revolving door based on sheer economics. I trust Pete's ability to keep turning out Lane's, Maxwell's, Browners, Thurmonds, etc. It's his specialty. If there's any position on the team the Hawks can do more with less, it's the secondary.

These are all assumptions. None of these statements have been proven true yet.

Don't get me wrong, I can see all these statements being true in a couple months after FA and the draft. But for now.. it's wait and see. This is the most important draft of the JS/PC era though.. the days of having a franchise QB on a penny salary are about to be gone. They HAVE to find impactful players out of it

Your Spurs team that you're comparing this loss to.. they lost no one. That will not be the case here. That is guaranteed. They also had no one returning who was hurt, our entire secondary will be coming back from surgery in all likelihood.

I don't mean to be all Blitzer style here, but I am not as sold that 2015-16 will be the Seahawks warpath back to the Super Bowl.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1jwvi5e4 said:

I think the mentality to do so is there in our core players. You think Earl Thomas isn't nursing a small, burning shard of hatred about how this season ended? You think Michael Bennett, who has declared the Hawks to be the best defense of all time, is going to want to allow that 28-point barrage by the Pats to stand as our defensive legacy? I think that the kinds of players that Carroll has built this team with are the kinds of players who are going to feed off of that heartbreaking loss. I think 2015 is going to be all about proving that last year's ending was an anomaly.

This team feeds off of doubters, and we're going to have plenty of those this coming season. People will talk about how we can't make it back once we have to pay our QB. They'll say that no team has been to 3 straight SBs since the Bills, and that no team has won a SB after losing it the previous year since the 1972 Dolphins. There is going to be article after article that declares all the "dynasty" hype around the Seahawks to be overblown and misplaced, and there are going to be pundits upon pundits who predict a Green Bay/Dallas NFC Championship.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1nvnqtvm said:

Quit listening to 'the Smiths', Hasslebeck.

Great OP, do you think there's any chance we'll do anything but kick their asses when we have the rematch next February? Nope!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":145ks4c8 said:

Nah. 2012/Falcons is closer to Derek Fisher hitting the 0.4 second shot over the Spurs in 2004. Spurs actually won the title the next year.

Analogy still holds. 2013/Spurs is the only championship moment that rivals this past Super Bowl IMO. Thought of it that same day. We'll be back.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1qwslkp9 said:
Hasselbeck":1qwslkp9 said:

I think the mentality to do so is there in our core players. You think Earl Thomas isn't nursing a small, burning shard of hatred about how this season ended? You think Michael Bennett, who has declared the Hawks to be the best defense of all time, is going to want to allow that 28-point barrage by the Pats to stand as our defensive legacy? I think that the kinds of players that Carroll has built this team with are the kinds of players who are going to feed off of that heartbreaking loss. I think 2015 is going to be all about proving that last year's ending was an anomaly.

This team feeds off of doubters, and we're going to have plenty of those this coming season. People will talk about how we can't make it back once we have to pay our QB. They'll say that no team has been to 3 straight SBs since the Bills, and that no team has won a SB after losing it the previous year since the 1972 Dolphins. There is going to be article after article that declares all the "dynasty" hype around the Seahawks to be overblown and misplaced, and there are going to be pundits upon pundits who predict a Green Bay/Dallas NFC Championship.

That's all fine and well, but realistically speaking.. a lot of this hinges on our offseason and who we add to the team. This years draft is huge. We simply do not have the depth we had two years ago..

The Spurs were the exact same team in 2014 as they were in 2013.. only they were obviously a much hungrier, angrier team.. which pehawk is dead on about.

I would say the same goes for the 2013 Seahawks. They had the perfect mix of disappointment, hunger, anger and talent additions (Avril, Bennett). In May, we may very well have the same thing.. but right now all this is is an assumption.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":16h9o3lx said:
Hasselbeck":16h9o3lx said:

Nah. 2012/Falcons is closer to Derek Fisher hitting the 0.4 second shot over the Spurs in 2004. Spurs actually won the title the next year.

Analogy still holds. 2013/Spurs is the only championship moment that rivals this past Super Bowl IMO. Thought of it that same day. We'll be back.

About time you came around to solid thinking, aka mine. Glad you finally see Bevell's flaws.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":8m97bsyp said:
volsunghawk":8m97bsyp said:
Hasselbeck":8m97bsyp said:

That's all fine and well, but realistically speaking.. a lot of this hinges on our offseason and who we add to the team. This years draft is huge. We simply do not have the depth we had two years ago..

The Spurs were the exact same team in 2014 as they were in 2013.. only they were obviously a much hungrier, angrier team.. which pehawk is dead on about.

I would say the same goes for the 2013 Seahawks. They had the perfect mix of disappointment, hunger, anger and talent additions (Avril, Bennett). In May, we may very well have the same thing.. but right now all this is is an assumption.

I agree that we don't have the depth we had two years ago. But we didn't have that depth this past season, either, and we were still a yard away from another Lombardi. But I trust our coaching staff when it comes to developing players (though not quite as much for gameday decisions). I trust our scouting. I believe that as long as we have our core players and that chip on their collective shoulder, we have a very good chance at making a deep run each year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":axljvgq6 said:
DavidSeven":axljvgq6 said:
Hasselbeck":axljvgq6 said:

About time you came around to solid thinking, aka mine. Glad you finally see Bevell's flaws.

Even broken clocks, my friend... and yes, I'm sure I'll stick up for the guy again down the road, but for right now, I'll be screaming "PICK/SLANT?!" in my sleep for the next several weeks.